Author Topic: air hose coming from engine cover going no where?  (Read 1293 times)

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
air hose coming from engine cover going no where?
« on: December 12, 2014, 07:15:11 PM »
I recently bought 2005 People 50 2T.  Nice scooter, I like it, but doesn't run.  Just like my Super 9, no spark without battery.  I think it just needs a battery, so I am going to be patient and wait for the battery before I start tearing it apart.

I took the storage bucket out and noticed 2 things.  1st the fuel tank auto petcock was bypassed, and 2nd there is a mystery hose coming from the engine cover on the left side of the engine.  It goes back along the left side and ends near the carb.  It sure looks like it's supposed to be connected to something, but I don't see anywhere to connect it.  It's approx 1" OD and fits the engine cover like it is supposed to be there.  I am thinking something was taken out.  The airbox seems to be complete, don't think it connects to airbox.  Hot air from the engine would definitely be coming out the end, but what for?

Anyone know what this hose is for?
1st and 2nd usually have an unfair advantage.  3rd is usually the best, can learn the most from.  paraphrased from Don Quixote, over 400 years ago, still true today

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
Re: air hose coming from engine cover going no where?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 07:46:00 PM »
Nice people 50 are great! Does your carb have the rubber cover over it? The hose your talking about is the carb heater and it's supposed to go into the rubber carb cover. The people 50 should have spark without the battery so you might have to check on that.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2014, 05:54:45 AM »
Thanks for reply.  Your comment makes sense about heating the carb, but there is no rubber cover over the carb.  The carb has auto bystarter, like my Super 9.

I know scooter runs, previous owner started it with battery charger, not easy, I thought he was going to damage the starter, cranking it so much.  I had same experience with Super 9 I have, without battery no spark, with good battery it starts right up.  I took all the plastic off the scooter, testing the different electrical components.  I couldn't figure out much, was going to buy some parts and just start replacing stuff.  After I got the battery, I discovered nothing was wrong.  I am not tearing this one down until I try it with a good battery.

Your comment makes we wonder about the history of this scooter.  I guess one could come from the factory like that, or the carb was changed out?  It appears someone previously worked on this scooter that knew something about them.  The way the auto petcock was bypassed looks like someone knew what they were doing?

Cheers

1st and 2nd usually have an unfair advantage.  3rd is usually the best, can learn the most from.  paraphrased from Don Quixote, over 400 years ago, still true today

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 09:36:10 PM »
Got new battery, installed it, pulled plug and put a little gas and oil down plug hole, started right up.  Runs pretty good, might try to hop it up after I get it sorted out.  Appears to need horn, hi-beam light before I can get it inspected.  Cheers

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 10:28:51 PM »
Nice!
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 11:04:05 PM »
Try spraying some PB Blaster down into the switches for the horn/hi-beam. It's usually those switches that give out.
Best case the units will work. Worst case. you just cleaned the contacts.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()