Author Topic: Kymco Like 200i Cross Country Trip  (Read 5535 times)

DukeofIch

• View Profile
Kymco Like 200i Cross Country Trip
« on: December 10, 2014, 06:10:06 AM »
Hey there, I am new to the forum and am dreaming of owning a Like 200i. I was wondering what everyone thought of driving one across the country? Would it make it over mountain passes? I have driven a Yamaha Majesty 400 all over this country, but sold it a couple years back. I am missing two wheels. I am interested in a smaller scooter this time and the like looks to be a wonderful scooter. What are your opinions. comments on a cross country trip on the Like?

vespbretta

• "Be the change that you wish to see in the world."
    • View Profile
Re: Kymco Like 200i Cross Country Trip
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 03:53:08 PM »
Well, the Like 200i itself for sure will make it reliably across the country and over mountain passes. Why not?

But 4 things I would highly recommend regarding the Like 200i: Firstly, one should not be too tall for the Like. Secondly, one should not be too heavy. Thirdly if one really wants to go on long rides/trips, the saddle/seat needs a complete new builtup to stay within the butts comfortzone.
Fourthly, the Suspension in general and in combination with the stock kenda tyres is extremly sporty hard imho. Not comfortable at all on (unfortunately everywhere increasing) bad, bumpy roads. You need a strong and healthy spine for the Like!
Maybe one could do some fine tunig with different rear dampers and other front fork springs and better fork oil from the aftermarket sector.
There are other scoots on the market with softer more comfortable suspensions.

So, I would say the Like is not really the most comfortable travel scooter. But for sure perfect for uban or suburban riding.

At best, ask for an hour or two test ride at a kymco dealers shop and you will see where it leads to.
Cheers,
Robo

Kymco Like LX 200i white/blue 2014; FACO Rear Crash Bars; Kymco Front Crash Bar; Puig Windshield Traffic;  Shido Battery LTX9-BS LION; 13gr. Dr. Pulley sliders and sliding pieces; Throttle control; Full synth. 10W-50 Motor- & Synth Gearoil; modified Topcase; Italian Badges and Stickers

tortoise

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 04:07:42 PM »
comments on a cross country trip
Research resources:

Scooters Across America . . Ride Report . . Website

Scooter Cannonball

Might be prudent to monitor cylinder head temperature with a spark plug sensor, and change engine oil every 2 or 3 days . . GY6 125/150 engines typically take around 3 cups.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 10:22:26 PM »
Robo,
Rebuild the seat with ample and purpose-made seating foam...and you will quit hunting "better rear shocks" for the LIKE!

You must really rebuild the seat ...not just add a layer of magic (not really) memory foam....or trim something away or re-profile the seat. You must rebuild with the proper seating foam, and plenty of it!

I added thickness over the length, and added width and stronger, more supportive 'shoulders' to the seat and firmness on the nose to prevent 'diving' under braking -- for a softer but more supportive ride.  The result was an amazing improvement in ride comfort on these stock Kymco shocks.
(I still have the after-market shocks  I purchased in their box on the shelf.)
I never think about the seat or the rear shocks any longer. Truly, I don't

As for riding a LIKE cross country and over mountain ranges:
I have ridden my LIKE for nearly 2 yrs and 8000 miles, and have been under that seat tinkering, servicing and replacing more times than I can count. (my manual's service log page is past full) I love this scooter and appreciate and rely on its reliability, every morning, year 'round.

But I would not try to take this scooter across any country (even Luxembourg) as it would not be able to safely keep up with traffic for hours on end, day in and day out. No motor should be run at 100% of its power band - and the LIKE200i would be doing just that - all the while moving 10 to 20 MPH slower than the surrounding vehicles.

That is neither a safe way to see the country, nor a relaxing way.

The LIKE200i is, as many have stated, a great urban run-about. It cannot safely run on interstate expressways or even on a lot of country highways (posted at 55MPH - with the traffice moving at 60-65+) Some do it - but they are riding at 100% of that 163cc motor ....and still being overtaken. Repeatedly. It is too light in weight, too short in wheelbase and cc's to use as a touring scooter.

LIKE200i's are being sold, new, at $1800.  List is about $2700.
That $2700 might buy a very sound, used Majesty or Burgman with a scratch or two on it....with many safe & relaxing touring miles left on it.

(I'm no expert on scooter resale values - but the LIKE200i seems to have very poor resale value - considering what some of us paid out the door. That is one more thing to consider.)
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

FinancialFider

• Los Angeles 200i Owner
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 09:50:37 AM »
I did consider going on a road trip with the Like200i but I took a 30 mile trip which I recorded I top out at 55 MPH and my butt hurts and feared the uneven roads. Forget it and I replaced it with the Smax.

2013 Like200i since Dec.2013. NGK CR7HIX Iridium Spark Plug, Givi37L Top Case, Royal Purple 10-40W Syn Oil, Lucas 75-90W Syn Gear Oil, Michelin City Grip Rear Tire - 130/70-12, and Michelin Bopper Front 120/70-12 Tire. 5,100 as of Oct.2014

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2014, 10:47:53 PM »
I did consider going on a road trip with the Like200i but I took a 30 mile trip which I recorded I top out at 55 MPH and my butt hurts and feared the uneven roads. Forget it and I replaced it with the Smax.

Glad you survived that.....and at night, too!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2014, 01:24:58 AM »
A couple of years ago we had two dudes come in the shop that had ridden two Yamaha C3 49cc's from Colorado to Portland. Took em' two weeks haha. I've ridden my b&w on longer road trips over to the coast, and even with 300cc i was full throttle up hill trying to keep up with 60mph+ traffic. It felt really hard on the bike. With the gear i had and my 220lbs on a Like would have been going 40mph if I hadn't already gotten run over or shot. Granted this was over very steep highway mtn passes, but i would not want to take a Like on any long distance ride. If you had to do it, plan on setting a route on less than 45mph. Also plan on changing your oil a bunch. I honestly would not even do a trip cross country on my 300cc.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 05:26:43 AM by BettinANDlosing »
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2014, 02:06:42 AM »
I think you all really have correctly answered the main question. B&L made the main point of these answers.

If you ride the bike like a touring bike it will self destruct. If you ride the back roads, and plan on 50 miles per day, and LOTS of maintenance... You just might make it.

There were a pair of guys in the '80s, that rode a pair of Honda NC 50's from GB to Viet Nam. There was also a fella that posted on this forum w/ a similar trip. Just a couple years ago.
I think he rode thru the Himalaya's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_long-distance_motorcycle_riders

It CAN be done but if you think it will be fun... That's a whole nuther thread.

Ps... There are better bikes to do this with. Just Sayin' Maybe an injected 300.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 02:09:13 AM by zombie »
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

vespbretta

• "Be the change that you wish to see in the world."
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2014, 05:37:09 PM »
If you ride the bike like a touring bike it will self destruct. If you ride the back roads, and plan on 50 miles per day, and LOTS of maintenance... You just might make it.

I would sincerely want to know on which facts or experiences THIS statement is based on.  ;D

In what time will it self destruct? After how many miles? And why?

50miles per day... Some of us do that nearly every day.... 25 one direction, 25 back.... Where is the problem except from maybe the seat?

LOTS of maintanance?.... Why and what?

I rode my Like (June 2014) now for almost 3000km (WOT most of the time!)without any severe problems. 1. Service at 1200km.
Second Service next Year at 4000-5000km.

Problems so far:
1 cracked rear y-fork mounting bolt. Because of mistakenly mounted bolts from factory. Should not happen, but may happen.
1 faulty time/date display. So what...

Cheers,
Robo

Kymco Like LX 200i white/blue 2014; FACO Rear Crash Bars; Kymco Front Crash Bar; Puig Windshield Traffic;  Shido Battery LTX9-BS LION; 13gr. Dr. Pulley sliders and sliding pieces; Throttle control; Full synth. 10W-50 Motor- & Synth Gearoil; modified Topcase; Italian Badges and Stickers

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2014, 07:22:08 PM »
I would sincerely want to know on which facts or experiences THIS statement is based on.  ;D

In what time will it self destruct? After how many miles? And why?

50miles per day... Some of us do that nearly every day.... 25 one direction, 25 back.... Where is the problem except from maybe the seat?

LOTS of maintanance?.... Why and what?

I rode my Like (June 2014) now for almost 3000km (WOT most of the time!)without any severe problems. 1. Service at 1200km.

Problems so far:
1 cracked rear y-fork mounting bolt. Because of mistakenly mounted bolts from factory. Should not happen, but may happen.

There's a huge difference between 25 miles then work then 25 miles and 50-100 mi straight day after day. With that use the oil will become contaminated very quickly and you wouldn't want to go more than 500-800mi between changes, meaning you would have to change the oil every few days. Not saying it would for sure grenade the engine, but you would be one lucky sob if a Chinese made bike didn't break being used like that. It's totally possible, hell my brother rode a bicycle across the country and averaged 100mi a day. So one COULD ride a Like across the country but it would be a hellofa trek. If I did it honestly i would want a carb bike so i could fix stuff on the side of the road. I don't trust the Chinese efi personally.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2014, 11:10:26 PM »
"I would sincerely want to know on which facts or experiences THIS statement is based on."

13,000 posts on Kymco forum... I paid attention.

"50miles per day... Some of us do that nearly every day.... 25 one direction, 25 back.... Where is the problem except from maybe the seat?"

Was that a question or a statement?!~

"In what time will it self destruct? After how many miles? And why? "

Short time,  Not as many as you would think.  It's a Kymco...

Kudos!

"Problems so far:

Exactly... So what!

I'm just bustin' your stones... It's a Kymco.
Are you familiar w/ the 24 hour endurance races they have for scooters... Most bikes don't finish. 150 miles on a 200cc bike is like 2000 on a car. Stresses/heat/vibration/poor factory tolerances/beating on all fliuds... ect.
I ride around 20 miles per day, and have done the same for Years. I would never attempt to ride 80 miles in one shot. I KNOW something will break 50cc yes... 200 a day on a 200cc is really about the max I would attempt, and ONLY if it were at or below 3/4 power.
I would bet my bike that 200 miles at WOT could/would never happen on a 200cc Kymco.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 10:19:37 PM by zombie »
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2014, 01:19:45 AM »
"I would sincerely want to know on which facts or experiences THIS statement is based on."

13,000 posts on Kymco forum... I paid attention.

"50miles per day... Some of us do that nearly every day.... 25 one direction, 25 back.... Where is the problem except from maybe the seat?"

Was that a question or a statement?!~

"In what time will it self destruct? After how many miles? And why? "

Short time,  Not as many as you would think.  It's a Kymco...

Kudos!

"Problems so far:

Exactly... So what!

I'm just bustin' your stones... It's a Kymco.
Are you familiar w/ the 24 hour endurance races they have for scooters... Most bikes don't finish. 150 miles on a 200cc bike is like 200000 on a car. Stresses/heat/vibration/poor factory tolerances/beating on all fliuds... ect.
I ride around 20 miles per day, and have done the same for Years. I would never attempt to ride 80 miles in one shot. I KNOW something will break 50cc yes... 200 a day on a 200cc is really about the max I would attempt, and ONLY if it were at or below 3/4 power.
I would bet my bike that 200 miles at WOT could/would never happen on a 200cc Kymco.[/]

Got that right !
That little air called 163 cc motor would scream for forgiveness in the Florida heat.
Now if you want to do that you would need a SYM RV/HD200......  ;)

Be Big,
AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2014, 02:01:06 AM »
I kinda had fun w/ that last post. Please don't get me wrong... I think the entire focus of the OP is a GREAT idea. I will never slam an adventure. Especially, and ambitious one.

This trip can very well be done! Proper planing is the key.
A back up van/suv full of spares/tools/compressor, I believe is a must have. NON highway travel I think is the real key. 45 mph roads... Much more enjoyable.

This is really the kind of adventure to hit Kymco USA with. Plan a route/parts list/travel costs, and approach them for a sponsorship. Ask for dealer support all along the way. Stop in at every dealer, and have the fluids changed/belt/rollers checked/once over... Take Picts of the happy dealer, and go on to the next.
Set up a site/blog, and post plenty of Picts..

It's not just a get on the highway, and cross country bike. IMHO

Stiggy... If you need I can translate this from my Latin, to English, and re-translate back to proper Latin.
I love ya, and would hate to hear you missed any of the juicy bits. Pm me, and I'll hook it up 4u. ;)

Doc Wheezer

• Silently riding armed through the Mojave Desert.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2015, 07:00:30 PM »
Hey there, I am new to the forum and am dreaming of owning a Like 200i. I was wondering what everyone thought of driving one across the country? Would it make it over mountain passes? I have driven a Yamaha Majesty 400 all over this country, but sold it a couple years back. I am missing two wheels. I am interested in a smaller scooter this time and the like looks to be a wonderful scooter. What are your opinions. comments on a cross country trip on the Like?

I met this 27 y.o. girl while riding my 500 xciting through the Red Rock loop here in southern Nevada.
I took some pictures of her and her 2009 Vespa GTS 250 in the park.  We later went to lunch and I found out that she has been touring the country alone on her little 250 GT.  As of October she had covered over 19,000 miles in less than a year.  I posted a map of her route. While we were at lunch, she told me for her the Vespa was the right scooter for the trip. She did admit there were times she wished it had a little more power and speed while crossing North Dakota and Wyoming, where she had to run wide open throttle a lot of the time  That said, Geared up, I don't think she weighed more than 100 lbs. and she's riding a 250.
Given her size, the fact that at times she felt the need for more power, even if it was just to get out of the way.  A grown man trying to tour cross country on a 200cc or smaller.  I have to ask WHY?
   http://250superhero.blogspot.com/
I was taught a longgggggg time ago.  The difference between a job being easy or PITA is using the right tool.  As someone else said here 'Cross Country on a Like 200i sure it can be done', wouldn't you rather enjoy the ride?
Good Luck and Ride Safe
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 07:02:17 PM by Doc Wheezer »

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2015, 07:47:32 PM »
Well said Doc, that about sums up what we all were thinking / trying to say!!!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()