Author Topic: New Kymco Dealer here  (Read 1856 times)

twistedgrip

• DEALER- Ride Hard, Ride Proud, Ride Free
    • View Profile
New Kymco Dealer here
« on: November 28, 2014, 02:36:23 AM »
Good afternoon all and Happy Thanksgiving!

Yes, I am a new KYMCO ATV and UTV dealer in Russellville Arkansas.  I have worked on atvs and motorcycles for longer than I care to admit on here but will honestly admit I am new to the KYMCO brand.  I tried to do my homework before signing on to become a dealer and so far am quite pleased with what I see and know.  I know that I am not a walking encyclopedia on Kymco units and will most likely be picking your brains (owners) for information frequently.  I feel there is no better training than to talk with people who actually USE what I will be working on. My family rides pretty much anything with handlebars and we have never been known back up from a good mud hole, in fact I tried out the front differential lock this afternoon on our UXV700i LE demo.  It worked as designed and I was satisfied.

I do already have a few questions and am having a little difficulty finding solutions going through the "dealer channel".  I understand CVT transmissions but am yet to disassemble a KYMCO atv cvt.  The little Mongoose 90 and the little MXU 150 seem to have a limiter in the cvt to keep the clutch discs from opening up all the way which in turn limits their top end speed.  I have read there is a "kit" to allow the units to reach some more of the potential.  I'm all ears as to how to locate this "kit".

Also, I would like comments from owners about mods that have been successfully made.

AND…… Russellville is just South and North of some FINE riding areas.  While out riding today we ran into a group of folks from Iowa who were here riding and they say they try to make it down here several times a year and they ride out West as well.  They were all on POLARIS Razr 1000s.  They didn't go anywhere I didn't go, they just went there faster!

Drop me a line if you have the time, I would like to hear what you have to say, good AND bad. Later

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: New Kymco Dealer here
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 06:03:17 AM »
Welcome to the forum Twisted. It's GREAT to have the few dealers, and mechanics we have here. I hope we can be an asset to you, and you an asset to us.

There is no real "Kit" per say. It is an up sized main jet, and a smooth drive boss for the variator.
Both the 90cc, and the 150cc MXU's use the stepped drive boss going back to their introduction to the US. I guess Kymco want to keep us alive/well to buy more bikes.

The easiest way to work around this is to lathe down the step to exactly match the diameter of the rest of the boss, and polish it again. Go up 2-5 sizes on the main jet, and you're done.

OR you can order the drive boss for the 150cc from kymco under any of their other 150cc scooter part numbers. I don't know which boss fits the 90cc. I actually think there is none available. You could try one of the 125cc scooter drive bosses to see. It is under 20.00, and as a dealer it won't hurt even that much.

The big issue w/ the bosses is they MUST fit smoothly with both NO binding OR free play. They are a steel/bronze alloy that self lube once they are run for just a few miles. If you lathe them yourself it is very important to get the diameter right or they will suffer a short life, and take other parts out w/ them.

I would also look into carrying some of the better (Polini/Malossi/Dr.Pulley/Stage 6) CVT components.
Don't waste your time or money w/ Hoca/Arisol/Ebay crap. Nylon or Poly rollers/sliders. True spring steel springs. Computer designed variators. Proprietary clutch shoe compounds. These are what make a good part.

Getting people to trust Kymco as a brand is the biggest hurdle you may face. I've been riding everything I could get my mitts on for 45ish years, and NEVER heard of kymco until I found a cheap scooter a friend was selling. I have tortured that engine. It has had several rebuilds all of different HP ratings, and it is now living as an 83cc stroked 82mph SC10AS 2005 Kymco 50cc.

Perhaps it would help us all if any potential customers were made aware of this site to do some homework. It's a great price point bike, and the quality is better than any of the cheap ass junk spewing out of China. They are by no means a Polaris... But they do get the job done.

The biggest problem MOST Kymco owners appear to have is lack of dealer knowledge or training in keeping their bikes running. The fact you have come here shows you have a concern in doing this right. We all learn from each other here, and I'm glad to welcome you.

There is a fella here that works for a Kymco dealer as a mechanic. B&L we call him. I'm sure he can be an asset to you as new situation arise.

B&L... I hope you don't mind I threw you in front of the bus. I left you room to maneuver vs. Under the bus.

Good luck to ya Twisted!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

twistedgrip

• DEALER- Ride Hard, Ride Proud, Ride Free
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 08:12:38 PM »
I had replied to this but when I went to post it, it disappeared.

Anyways, THANKS for the feedback.  I know enough to know that most customers know about their rides.  I have been into dealerships before and have been told all sorts of BS by people trying to impress upon me their knowledge.  I have owned a Polaris and Arctic Cat dealership in the past and from what I've seen so far am impressed with Kymcos product.  Polaris made JUNK 20 years ago themselves, especially when they were using chain drives and 2 stroke engines, but they seem to have come a long way since I sold out. 

I want to be involved with a quality company that makes a quality product and stands behind their product and supports their dealers.  I think Kymco has a ways to go before they are competing with Polaris but they have what I think is a solid foundation on which to build.

We are a "Mom and Pop" shop, not a mega shop.  When a customer comes in with a problem it is taken seriously and a resolution is a high priority.  If any of you guys/gals are ever in central Arkansas, look us up.  We may even go on a ride with you.

Later
TwistedGrip 8) 

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 08:41:49 PM »
 ;D"I want to be involved with a quality company that makes a quality product and stands behind their product and supports their dealers. ;D"

Kymcos are on the border line there Sir... (lol a little)

You have to really know me to understand that. Kymco is a brand I never heard of. It is also a company that builds in China "now"!
To qualify that... They still control the entire process so they are not coookkkiiieeee cutter copies of something else.
They are a decent bike for a mechanical assembly. They are far better than the worst but far worse than the best. What they do have above everyone else is a pride in what they do.
I believe Kymco may pay more to employees, and therefore they get a more conscientiously built bunch of parts (scooter). The weakest link in their US chain appears to be Dealers. It's a teething process.
Many of the shops that sell Kymco's are not qualified to maintain them, never mind repair them.
That will be your hurdle...

Build a Rep. for being the "go to shop" for advice/correct information, and the world will be a better place for everyone you deal with. You know this already...

Skadamo set up this forum. We took it and ran (w/ his blessing I hope). We are all here to help, and we (well the rest of them) do care about what happens to Kymco as a viable scooter supplier for the US. Myself... The world will still spin!

Bottom line? There is more info on this forum than there is in the KYMCO US email. Use us to help you, and I hope you will allow us to get the best service in the US from you.

I'm kissing azz to get us a forum discount on parts. Think about that for a moment... 24 thousand members looking for a source of discounted OEM parts. I KNOW you just giggled a little!

Welcome aboard.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()