Author Topic: Shuddering and kicking starting  (Read 768 times)

arcus

• View Profile
Shuddering and kicking starting
« on: November 20, 2014, 08:50:13 PM »
Kicking starting, when I got my scooter back from the cops the kick starter lever was under the seat and it had broken off the end of the kick starter spindle.  Would a generic gy6 spindle fit? I found a company that is selling them for $8 and the OEM item is $24.  Not expensive for the oem but them 3X the cost of the generic, but don't want to have to buy the generic and then it wont fit.

Also I am getting a lot of shudder when the clutch is engaging.  I have tried the hold the brake and hit the gas and it helps a little but comes back almost immediately.  My question is do I need the clutch spring compressor or is there a work around?  The specialized tool is kind of pricy.  And can the clutch drum be resurfaced by an automotive shop? I am thinking just get new pads and resurface the drum and know it is fixed.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Shuddering and kicking starting
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 11:07:27 PM »
The GY 6 lever fits. No issue.

You can re-surface the clutch drum yourself w/ some 120 grit sandpaper, and same fro the shoes. Just scuff them up, and re assemble. The bitch is getting the small nut off the drum. They are tighter than hell. A cheepo impact driver makes it easy.
You don't need to open the clutch any further unless you want to swap out the contra spring.

This vid shows how easy it comes off. There are loads more on Utube...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cPjvKggx64
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

arcus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 04:56:43 AM »
OH! That video makes it look super easy. I have impact tools no problem. Guess I will give it a try tomorrow, and order up the cheaper kick start spindle.  With the whole regulator issue I am careful about what cheap parts I order since it doesn't come out cheaper to order parts twice.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 05:56:49 AM »
That's the only thing different between the qmb 139 (gy6), and any of the Kymco 50cc 4t's. The electrical system.

ALL of the other (gy6) engine parts are the same, and will swap out.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()