Author Topic: Stopping  (Read 2971 times)

blackhawkfan

• View Profile
Stopping
« on: November 12, 2014, 09:23:46 PM »
When you stop, do you put both feet on the ground or just one?  I'm just curious about other's experiences; I've always done two feet but yesterday when I had my scoot out I tried just doing one foot and felt very off balance.
Proud owner of a red 2013 Kymco Super 8 150k
Scooter is stock

manimal

• 2013 Super 8 150
    • View Profile
Re: Stopping
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 10:16:51 PM »
Myself, having a short inseam, I have no choice but to one foot it on a LOT of bikes I've owned and or ridden. This means for my Kymco Super 8 150 too.

If I could get both feet down, I would use both. More especially for uneven surfaces. Therefore, at times, I need to plan my stop(s). I would want to plant my foot on which ever is on the high side of a slope or plain. Although, that doesn't always happen, as I seem to instinctively always plant my left foot first. I still struggle planting my right as it does not feel natural, or in other words, second nature.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 10:18:22 PM by manimal »
~Daren
California (Nor*Cal)

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 10:56:48 PM »
I try to balance without putting feet down as long as possible, it's a fun exercise in balance.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 12:37:15 AM »
When you stop, do you put both feet on the ground or just one?
(German) Driving test: 2x left, then 2x right foot. (It's one of the standard tests.)
Piaggio MP3: 0-2 feet depending on my mood and circumstances.
Other scooters: mostly both feet. (Relieving my ass.)
Motorcycle: both if for a longer wait. If only one, usually the right foot (left has to shift). In a steep gradient left foot, right foot has to control rear brake.
Transversal gradient: hillside foot.

MooseMax

• This space for rent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 04:00:53 AM »
I always try to put 2 feet down - feels more stable & level that way.  And if there's gravel or oil or whatever under one foot, i'm less likely to slip.

Myself, having a short inseam, I have no choice but to one foot it on a LOT of bikes I've owned and or ridden. This means for my Kymco Super 8 150 too.
Have you tried shaving the seat foam down?  Shaving the sides made a big difference for me (pic here).  You really only need padding under the "sit bones", so you can trim the top too on the front half, and slide forward when you need to get your heels down.
People 250
San Francisco, USA

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2014, 12:22:29 AM »
In the European scooter commercial shoots the young lady riders barely touch one dainty lizard skin boot-toe down when they stop......
Always admired that,
I must drop both size 14 anchors at every stop. (riding a scooter in my town is silly enough - but falling plumb over like a shot pig at a stop light would be really humiliating)
Plus - lifting 'em back up after ea. stop is good exercise for the nether regions.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

manimal

• 2013 Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2014, 02:59:46 PM »
I always try to put 2 feet down - feels more stable & level that way.  And if there's gravel or oil or whatever under one foot, i'm less likely to slip.
Have you tried shaving the seat foam down?  Shaving the sides made a big difference for me (pic here).  You really only need padding under the "sit bones", so you can trim the top too on the front half, and slide forward when you need to get your heels down.

I would have to shave the seat down to bare plastic to get both feet down. Not a comfortable ride, at all. I am perfectly ok with putting one foot down. I just need to practice more with my right .... lol. If I do any altering to the seat, I would shave the ridge of the seat back a bit more. My seating comfort zone just happens to be right on the ridge between the front and back of the seat.
~Daren
California (Nor*Cal)

Triesandluth

• Getting it, a mile per hour at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2014, 10:48:04 PM »
I try to balance without putting feet down as long as possible, it's a fun exercise in balance.

i do that very often, sometimes to the point that i probably look drunk. i try to stay smooth though. ive gotten about seamless at quick stops. for extended stops i use one foot, unless i need to "readjust my bits." can't drop the bike while getting things back in place.
Almost...at...speed...limit... Aww, brake lights..

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2014, 10:54:56 PM »
Why do you guys stop?

Always 2 feet for me. Starting of from a one foot plant puts you, and the bike at an awkward angle.

Good post BlackHawk. This has never occurred to me.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()