Author Topic: How to set timing on UXV 500 2010??  (Read 9079 times)

Huntsman

• View Profile
How to set timing on UXV 500 2010??
« on: November 06, 2014, 12:05:22 AM »
Installed new piston here the other day and managed to turn the cam and flywheel off position. I didnt note where they were previous eighter. I tryed timing the engine using a service manual for the UXV i found online. Without luck. It didnt even backfire. And that was the exact manual for my uxv.
Anyone done this before?, please share your experiences.

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
Re: How to set timing on UXV 500 2010??
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 01:19:14 AM »
The cam timing and spark timing have nothing to do with eachother. I have set the cam on many a scooter, never a UXV, but the principal is the same. There should be a flywheel timing hole on the crankcase. Find that, then set it to TDC. Then there should be a TDC mark on the cam. You have to get those aligned.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

Huntsman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 01:02:32 PM »
Thats exactly what i did.

souzamoto

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 01:16:46 AM »
Camshaft Installation

SAFETY FIRST: Protective gloves and eyewear are recommended at this point.
Installation
Rocker Arms

Lubricate the inside diameter of the rocker arms and the outside diameter of the rocker arm shaft pivot sections with fresh engine oil.

Fit the rocker arms into their original locations.

Apply Blue Loctite to the threads of the rocker arm shafts. Install the rocker arm shafts and washers.

Tighten the rocker arm shafts to specification with a 10 mm Allen.

Item    Thread dia. (mm)    Torque kgf-m (N-m, lbf-ft)
Rocker arm shaft    18    4.5 (45, 32)

Camshafts

Position the piston at TDC as with removal. See the Camshaft topic for more information. Align the "T" mark on the flywheel with the index mark on the right crankcase cover. This shows the piston is at Top Dead Center.

Apply molybdenum oil to the camshaft lobes, the journal holders in the camshaft holders and the cylinder head.

Molybdenum oil: a mixture of molybdenum grease and fresh engine oil in a 50:50 ratio.

Fit the camshafts into place. Note the exhaust camshaft has a decompressor cam and intake camshaft doesn't.

Position the camshafts so that the punch marks on the end are pointing up. Minimize the amount of slack in the cam chain between the camshaft sprockets. The lines on the camshaft sprockets must align with the cylinder head cover mating surface as shown.

Double check the timing after the cam chain tensioner is installed.

Install the exhaust camshaft holder with he two dowel pins. Note the exhaust camshaft holder has the stopper pin.

Fit the intake camshaft holder into place with the two dowel pins.

Lubricate the threads of the camshaft holder bolts with fresh engine oil.

Insert the four largest camshaft holder bolts with new washers.

Position the four large cylinder head bolts as shown.

Insert the intake and exhaust camshaft holder bolts. Wait to install the cam chain side camshaft holder and bolts.

Long: 8 X 210 mm

Medium: 8 X 137 mm

Short: 8 X 71 mm

Tighten the bolts 1 - 9 in multiple steps in a crisscross pattern as shown below. Tighten the large bolts with a 14 mm socket and the smaller bolts with a 12 mm socket.

Camshaft Holder / Cylinder Head Bolt Torque

kgf-m (N-m, ft-lb)
Bolts    1, 2, 3, 4    5, 6, 7, 8, 9    10, 11, 12, 13
Step 1    2.4 (24, 17)    1.2 (12, 9)    
Step 2    3.8 (38, 27)    2.3 (23, 17)    
Step 3    4.8 (48, 35)         
Step 4              1.2 (12, 9)
Step 5              2.3 (23, 17)

The cylinder head bolt is number 9.

Fit the cam chain side camshaft holder into place.

The arrow on the camshaft holder must face out.

Tighten the 10 - 13 bolts to specification with a 12 mm socket in multiple steps as indicated.

Camshaft Holder / Cylinder Head Bolt Torque

kgf-m (N-m, ft-lb)
Bolts    10, 11, 12, 13
Step 4    1.2 (12, 9)
Step 5    2.3 (23, 17)

Fit the upper cam chain guide into place.

Install the two cam chain guide bolts and tighten them securely with an 8 mm socket.

Cam Chain Tensioner

Make sure the cam chain tensioner mating surface is clean. Install a new gasket with the cam chain tensioner.

Use a small flat blade screwdriver to wind in the cam chain tensioner rod. Hold the screwdriver in place until both tensioner mounting bolts have been installed.

Install the two cam chain tensioner mounting bolts and tighten them to specification with an 8 mm socket. Install a new O-ring.

Item    Thread dia. (mm)    Torque kgf-m (N-m, ft-lb)
Cam chain tensioner bolt    6    1.2 (12, 8.6)

Install the cam chain tensioner sealing bolt and tighten it to specification with a 10 mm socket.

Item    Thread dia. (mm)    Torque kgf-m (N-m, ft-lb)
Tensioner sealing bolt    10    1 (10, 7.2)

Adjust the valve clearance. See the Valve Adjustment topic for more information.

Install the recoil starter cover.

Tighten the recoil starter bolts securely with an 8 mm socket.

Install the timing cap on the right side of the engine and tighten securely with a flat blade screwdriver.

Install the cylinder head cover. See the Cylinder Head Cover topic for more information.

Install the spark plug. See the Spark Plug topic for more information.

Install the right floor board. See the Floor Covers topic for more

Huntsman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2014, 12:55:03 PM »
Thx for good reply "Souzamoto"

Position the camshafts so that the punch marks on the end are pointing up. Minimize the amount of slack in the cam chain between the camshaft sprockets. The lines on the camshaft sprockets must align with the cylinder head cover mating surface as shown.

Position the piston at TDC as with removal. See the Camshaft topic for more information. Align the "T" mark on the flywheel with the index mark on the right crankcase cover. This shows the piston is at Top Dead Center.

This is what my service manual says tho. If i allign cams and wheel like this the valves are open when the piston is at TDC: crushing them.

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2014, 04:10:18 PM »
You don't have the piston tdc if that's happening
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

mhaseebalam

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2021, 11:56:59 AM »
One question, when you are rebuilding the engine the T mark on the flywheel always mean TDC if you place the camshaft correctly? I'm confused because if I'm at TDC on the flywheel I can still not be on the TDC when I look at the camshaft. does the same apply to the crankshaft or it doesn't matter if the flywheel is at TDC it has to be True TDC and placing the camshaft will determine if it's on true TDC. 

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()