Author Topic: coolant low, engine damaged?  (Read 1305 times)

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
coolant low, engine damaged?
« on: October 30, 2014, 11:20:19 AM »
I figured out I have LC engine, which is cool I guess.  Actually, I would have been happy with AC engine.  Based upon my experience with another LC engine, sometimes simple is better IOM.  Gauge on back of front panel doesn't show any coolant level.  So, I started taking off plastic and found the reservoir.  Not totally empty, has some green liquid in bottom.

Seller says hasn't run in years.  Last license plate is for 2005.  I guess could have leaked out a little over years and was never run without enough coolant.  How low can coolant go without overheating engine?
1st and 2nd usually have an unfair advantage.  3rd is usually the best, can learn the most from.  paraphrased from Don Quixote, over 400 years ago, still true today

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
Re: coolant low, engine damaged?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 03:47:48 PM »
That bottle is just the overflow, crack the radiator cap while the bike is cold, if its got coolant to the top your good. That overflow will fill up more when the bike is warm
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 02:08:39 AM »
Thanks for reply, I will check level at radiator cap, wish me luck.  Cheers
1st and 2nd usually have an unfair advantage.  3rd is usually the best, can learn the most from.  paraphrased from Don Quixote, over 400 years ago, still true today

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 03:01:39 AM »
Sorry, I don't see radiator cap on my scooter.  I looked at pics on web too, don't see cap on S9 radiators there either.  I guess I will top off with distilled water, see how she runs and go from there.  Cheers

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 06:59:49 PM »
I think engine is OK, but no spark (another issue).  I pulled the exhaust today and looked into the exhaust port.  No signs of damage, actually piston/ cylinder looked really good, could still see crosshatching on cylinder wall.  I am happy now, except scooter is all torn apart looking for spark issue.  Cheers

0BARK4322

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2015, 12:28:35 AM »
you must remove the panel in the front of scooter
ALL STOCK

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2015, 03:39:21 PM »
I finally got around to changing out coolant.  My scooter is over 10 years old and I don't think the anti-freeze has ever been changed.  Manual says takes 1165cc of coolant which equal approx 39.4 oz.  I drained out approx 26 oz by disconnecting the hose at the pump, per the manual instructions.  The anti-freeze that came out looked OK, but a little heavy/ thick.  I put back in approx 39.5 oz and idled it awhile and looked for any problems/ leaks.  Level in overflow tank didn't change, so I took it for a ride and everything seemed to be fine.

I did some research on anti-freeze and didn't really find anything definitive on what to use.  I went to the store planning to get dex-cool, but ended up buying generic WalMart SuperTech 50/50.  I had to use some reading glasses, but was able to read the label on the dex-cool and generic products at the store and the WalMart brand read the same as the more expensive name brand.  So, I got the cheap stuff.

The owner's manual maintenance schedule says to change anti-freeze at least once a year.  After awhile I will probably flush this stuff out and replace again.  Like anything else, anti-freeze breaks down and needs to be replaced.  As I understand it, seals will last longer with fresh anti-freeze.

The engine seems to run pretty cool, but I seem to be running it harder and harder.  Now, I am starting to run it leaner, I expect it to run hotter, so I want to make sure the cooling system is working properly.  Cheers

0BARK4322

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2015, 08:55:05 PM »
I just change mine to other day also, but I do say the original anti-freeze last a longgggggggg time
ALL STOCK

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()