Author Topic: Agility 50 poor performance recommendation + installing a trunk  (Read 5710 times)

zukinjo

• View Profile
Agility 50 poor performance recommendation + installing a trunk
« on: October 22, 2014, 03:24:24 AM »
Hi all,

As you can see, this is my first post. I have never ridden a scooter before and since I came to USA I decided to give it a shot (since buying a car is not an option). I needed something to get me from point A to B, and bicycle wasn't a good option (everything is so far away here in NC plus always a small hill somewhere combined with the humidity = sweat&smell).
Anyways, I bought a used 2013 Kymco Agility 50 a couple of days ago and really like it so far. I immediately felt (what bunch of you reported here) the need to play around with it just for the fun of it. The problem is (as many reported) the really terrible acceleration/hill performance. Scooter has to carry 100kg all the time (me + big chain + my stuff), but still - 20 mph on a small hill is just awful. And no real whoosh when going from a standstill. I've read (mostly thanks to the wordslinger, zombie, blue, streido, etc.) a number of posts and learned a lot and figured to try the torque spring at least. The scooter has been derestricted (I have the papers from the previous owner who took it to the local mechanic) but one thing confuses me - previous owner gave me the drive boss (he didn't know what it was actually), it was under the seat with all the papers and stuff, but it was 38mm without the washer (which should be used when derestricting) - so I don't know if the one still installed is the restricted one. Will figure this out when I open the drive train (if that is the English word for it). My scooter goes around 40,41 mph but it takes ages to get there, and when it even sees the hill in front, the speed drops to 20 mph  :o
I will check the CDI and see what boss it has, but I really think getting a torque spring and better rollers (it has 6g in now according to papers) would help the acceleration, since all of you mention it and it seems like you know your stuff  8) Should dr pulley sliders be a better option and if yes what weight? 7g?

Here is my problem - I kind of know what to do but - I am here only for 8 months and on a tight budget and would really love to improve the scooter performance a bit without spending too much.
I know that this is one of a hundred topics on the same subject and I have read them all and figured out what to do and how to do it, but I would like your advice on couple of things:
- I would like to invest around 100$ in it.
- main problem is that I don't have any tools with me except for the normal socket wrench set (and the small set that came with the scooter), so spending 50$ on tools is maybe not that good since I'll end up with 50 for the scooter (I don't need the tools for anything else actually).
- i see the spring is cheap (do you recommend malossi red, is it a 1500 rpm?), but I can' install it without some tools so would the whole performance gearbox be cheaper in the end (if you can buy it assembled)?
- a free flow filter? These are cheap and I think can be easily replaced, any recommendations? Do they actually help?
- do I really need to change the main jet size? Where can I find them (the link I've found on this forum is not working, 2 years old)?

The scooter has around 4200 miles, and has recently (two months ago, done by the previous owner, I have the papers) had the following: prima roller set 6g, carburetor job, cr7hsa plug. I have changed the engine oil and will change the transmission oil as soon as it arrives.

What would you recommend to do for around 100$ (if there is an option actually)? Should I change the belt after this mileage?

Sorry to be bugging you, but if I was home and had all of my tools none of this would be the problem... I am just trying to figure out what would be the best way to go.

Another question, can I buy a trunk for 40-50$ for my A50? I realized my FF helmet doesn't fit under the seat  :-\

Thanks guys!

BTW this forum is by far the best one for learning about my kymco!

njagility

• View Profile
Re: Agility 50 poor performance recommendation + installing a trunk
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 05:21:33 AM »
If it's been derestricted it should have a #82 jet. The only way to find out is to take off the carb, take out the jet and look. Mine had been derestricted when I bought it (CDI wire cut, variator boss replaced). I did find and 82 jet in there too when I looked. I tried an 85 to see if there was any difference and there wasn't (I'm using the stock air filter).

You can find a bunch of scooter trunks on eBay. You should be able to find one for $50, but whether it will take your full face helmet or not is hard to say. My full face helmet fits fine under the seat, so I guess it partly depends on the make of the helmet. Mine is a Scorpion EXO-700 size large.

I have a Givi E26 trunk which will also take the helmet. It's $70 though - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Givi-E26NC-S-Top-Case-with-Brake-Light-/280782916633?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item415ff74c19&vxp=mtr. $70 for a Givi with a built in stop light is still a pretty good price.

I suspect that you'll get more performance improvement by tuning the CVT (rollers, sliders of the optimum weight, springs etc.) than from air filter changes
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 05:24:34 AM by njagility »

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 04:35:11 PM »
The new 6gr rollers you have will do fine till they wear out. The Malossi spring is a 2000. If you get creative you can remove the clutch assembly, and ask a local shop to remove the big nut, and swap the spring for you. It might cost 20.00 bucks.  Rather than a free flow filter you can cut 2 one inch holes in the back of the air box cover, and up jet some.
Parts for scooters has the jets you need cheap. http://www.partsforscooters.com/scooter-parts-diagrams/50cc-4-stroke-QMB139-Carburetors-and-Parts_3

I have a beat up but still functional rear box you can have. You will have to rig up some sort of mounting but it came off a 50cc bike. I'll have to borrow a camera to post up some picts.
I'm in Fl so UPS might be 20 bucks or less.
I'm sure I can take some picts by Friday...

Forgot... Welcome to the forum!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

zukinjo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 04:34:50 PM »
If it's been derestricted it should have a #82 jet.
I will try to dismantle it and see my jet number. Hopefully it is written on it somewhere...

The only reason I'm not quite sure if it is fully derestricted is that you guys are saying derestricted it goes 45+, and mine is barely making 40. And takes forever. I mean, I don't have any experience with scooters, but it behaves really slow.
Will see...

My full face helmet fits fine under the seat, so I guess it partly depends on the make of the helmet. Mine is a Scorpion EXO-700 size large.

Funny. I have a LS2 FT2 helmet size large and there is no way it can fit. Or I'm just stupid  :o :o Will check again.

zukinjo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 04:47:03 PM »
The new 6gr rollers you have will do fine till they wear out.
Thanks for the info, I won't be replacing them then.

The Malossi spring is a 2000.
Should I buy that one then? Or 1500, I've read here on the forum that 2000's are just to stiff and degrade performance. Please give me an advice regarding my weight. Or maybe a link to the spring so I don't mess up. Should I change just the contra spring or the 3 small ones as well?

Rather than a free flow filter you can cut 2 one inch holes in the back of the air box cover, and up jet some.
I'm not quite sure what you mean. Where to cut exactly? And what jet number?

I have a beat up but still functional rear box you can have. You will have to rig up some sort of mounting but it came off a 50cc bike. I'll have to borrow a camera to post up some picts.
I'm in Fl so UPS might be 20 bucks or less.
I'm sure I can take some picts by Friday...

Forgot... Welcome to the forum!
You're the man. Thanks, but I don't wanna trouble you, and besides, yesterday my colleague at the university said he can probably get me a used one from somewhere, so I'll wait.
But I really appreciate it!

As time passes, I think I will bug you guys with more and more questions  :P

Btw, since they steal a lot of scooters here, is it safest to put the chain through the rear wheel? Probably safer than the front...

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 05:27:36 PM »
being 140 lbs you could use a Malossi Purple spring. That is closer to 1500. I won't suggest any other brand because I know the Malossi's.
There is no need to change the three small springs unless you want to pop wheelies. They only change the take off rpm. Nothing else.
http://www.racingplanetusa.com/variator-torque-spring-malossi-different-categories-p-2334-1.html?cPath=2_122_586

If you look at your air box as a rectangle, and eye the cover... You can cut/drill two 1" holes on the back portion of that cover. The holes will be facing the back. Not the side. Same as the muffler outlet. facing back.
With everything else being stock a main jet between 85-95 is fine. I would suggest getting an 85/87/90/92/95.
It's a PITA to swap them one at a time but it makes all the difference in performance. Start w/ the biggest jet first, and go smaller till the bike runs like a top.
http://www.racingplanetusa.com/carburetor-main-keihin-p-171127-1.html?cPath=2_122_584

I would grab an anchor chain. Like 2" links. They can't cut that w/ easy to carry bolt cutters.
Go thru BOTH wheels, and around a lightpole/sign pole. To hell w/ scratching up the wheels. They are aluminum, and won't rust. The most expensive thing you have to buy here is the lock. Maybe 35-40 bucks.
A chain can be found at any marina/junkyard for 10 bucks. Scrap weight price.

Post up, and let us know how you make out.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

zukinjo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 06:11:33 PM »
being 140 lbs you could use a Malossi Purple spring. That is closer to 1500. I won't suggest any other brand because I know the Malossi's.
No, no, I'm not 140, I mentioned earlier, I'm around 90 kg, that's 200 lbs. And with the helmet, lock, my stuff - i think the scooter has to carry around 220 lbs all the time.
Is that closer to blue, red?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 06:18:30 PM by zukinjo »

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 07:15:03 PM »
IDK where I got 140 lbs from... RED spring. No doubt.

Some people work w/ lighter springs, and ultra light rollers. Like the malossi white spring, and 3.5 gram rollers. I run a Purple, and 3.5's in a two stroke but that is a WHOLE nuther story.
The red, and 6gr. will work great for you. Better acceleration, and better hill climbing speeds. There will be no extra wear on any part. Check your rollers in a month or so for flat spots. Cheap rollers wear very fast. I use Polini or Dr. Pulley in every bike I work on. They can last years. I have almost 4 years on a set of Dr. Pulley 7gr sliders in the same engine as yours w/ a malossi red. I also weigh 200 lbs., and ride 45mph everywhere.

zukinjo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2014, 01:54:50 AM »
Ok, so I changed the gear oil today, it looked really awful with a lot of particles in it. Regarding the transmission, I couldn't dismantle it since in my set I don't have so small wrench. I will go out and buy one tomorrow.
Regarding the CDI, it already had a small cut, but I couldn't see the wire. I made a bigger cut, but still couldn't find the wire. See the image.

Should I dig deeper?  :o
I have dismantled the seat and looked around the carburetor, I think I will manage it somehow. But I have to wait for the jets to arrive...
This CDI unit is bugging me.... Anyone has a clue?

zukinjo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2014, 01:56:34 AM »
Also, what would be the best way to "preserve" the exhaust pipe? I am beginning to see small rusty spots on it... Should I just paint it with heat resistant paint? I've read about using WD40 every time... Don't know...  ???

The moped learner

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2014, 03:02:40 AM »
That's why upgraded everything there is to upgrade on a scooter. i have upgraded everything other than installing a oil cooler

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2014, 04:00:42 AM »
For the pipe use VHT 1500* This site has a good "how to"  http://www.caswellplating.com/paints-and-coatings/vht-aerosol-paints/vht-flameproof-coatings.html

I just saw that you have a 2013 bike. I don't think they have the re-stricter wire. I forget. It's on the forum here somewhere... You can buy a coil/cdi for 20 bucks to hop it up a little...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Performance-6-pin-CDI-Racing-Box-Ignition-Coil-For-GY6-Moped-Scooter-50CC-150CC-/360654302083?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item53f8abeb83&vxp=mtr

Don't waste money on wd 40. It evaporates. for loosening frozen nuts/bolts use PB Blaster. It's worth the money. Don't waste it on your pipe tho...

Bradders2125

• 2010 Agility 50
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2014, 04:00:14 PM »
There was barely any oil that came out.

I will try and get time to check the gear, but between working nights and shortening daylight hours, its a touch difficult until a day off.

Thanks for the help guys, can't wait to get back on the road again.

The moped learner

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2014, 02:58:17 PM »
Then its safe to say you will need a new piston and jug

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2014, 03:27:45 PM »
Also if your complaining about performance for God's sake don't add a top case!!!!; everyone seems to buy 49ccs expecting a time machine, it's got 3hp so 20mph uphill is what you got lol
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()