Author Topic: question about oil  (Read 5613 times)

blackhawkfan

• View Profile
question about oil
« on: October 19, 2014, 01:09:19 AM »
Do scooter engines burn oil over time?  I had done my oil change at 600 miles and am now at 1200.  When I did the change, the oil on the dipstick covered the entire crossmarked area; now it shows only halfway up the stick.  I know it is not leaking when parked as there is no oil stain below the scoot.  Does it just evaporate?  I am planning on doing another oil change as part of the storage prep in a few weeks but wonder if I should do it now since the oil level is clearly decreasing.  Is this normal?
Proud owner of a red 2013 Kymco Super 8 150k
Scooter is stock

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
Re: question about oil
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 04:10:45 AM »
The tolerances in these engines aren't that tight so some oil usage is normal. Make a habit of checking your oil once or twice a month. Oil usage will greatly increase the harder you ride it.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

Bernie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 08:41:54 PM »
I have a Like 200i, bought new in February. Have changed oil at 200, 400, 600, and 1,600 miles, and have seen no oil loss. Only curious thing is that I can't get more than 23 oz into the engine when I change it (even after dropping the screen). Admittedly, I rarely drive it faster than 40 mph. So, maybe if I ran it harder and longer, there'd be some oil consumption.

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 08:59:31 PM »
That's only .68L (these are Asian bikes, Keepin it real with the metric) that's really odd. You when t your bike up fully before change? Shake the bike side by side? Drain the oil out of the plug and screen?
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

TLRam1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 03:07:56 AM »
The tolerances in these engines aren't that tight so some oil usage is normal. Make a habit of checking your oil once or twice a month. Oil usage will greatly increase the harder you ride it.

I will start checking mine.
Terry
10 Kymco People S 250
87 Yamaha Riva 200 (Sold)
Allen TX (Dallas)
cli-maxridinggear.com

mrmike

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 11:45:14 AM »
Make sure you wait and let the  oil drain down a little after running, and make sure the scoot is level (not on the side kickstand)  when you check the oil level. I've got a GTI300, 3000 miles, 5 oil changes, and no oil loss
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 12:03:06 PM by mrmike »
Blue '23 People S 150i ABS          

Past rides- '73 Honda 450, '00 Harley Softail Deuce, '10 Kymco People 150, '12 Kymco GTI, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 09:38:00 PM »
Make sure you wait and let the  oil drain down a little after running, and make sure the scoot is level (not on the side kickstand)  when you check the oil level. I've got a GTI300, 3000 miles, 5 oil changes, and no oil loss

The 300cc is made in Taiwan to MUCH higher spec than the Chinese 50cc Kymco engines.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 11:19:53 PM »
I have a Like 200i, bought new in February. Have changed oil at 200, 400, 600, and 1,600 miles, and have seen no oil loss. Only curious thing is that I can't get more than 23 oz into the engine when I change it (even after dropping the screen). Admittedly, I rarely drive it faster than 40 mph. So, maybe if I ran it harder and longer, there'd be some oil consumption.
Bernie, I LIKE the way you're doing your oil changes!
I settled in at right around 600-700 mile changes....and the last I saw of my LIKE200i it was using no oil either. Less than a Qt......aircooled....it's working hard for us. Treat it nice to fresh oil.
You are the only (non-50cc) guy here riding like me. 40mph or less.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2014, 12:05:03 AM »
Stig's bikes ride alone. He has to chase them to take the picts. The ONLY "Lone Wolf" bikes known in the US.
I would have shot them ages ago. Kudos to Stig for putting up w/ them.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 02:16:57 AM »
Do scooter engines burn oil over time?  I had done my oil change at 600 miles and am now at 1200.  When I did the change, the oil on the dipstick covered the entire crossmarked area; now it shows only halfway up the stick.  I know it is not leaking when parked as there is no oil stain below the scoot.  Does it just evaporate?  I am planning on doing another oil change as part of the storage prep in a few weeks but wonder if I should do it now since the oil level is clearly decreasing.  Is this normal?
   when you check the oil after a fill up, do you run the motor for a few min. then check the oil,. you might of had a air bubble

blackhawkfan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2014, 05:13:30 PM »
I check it once a week before I start the scoot...would an air bubble be a possibility under those conditions?
Proud owner of a red 2013 Kymco Super 8 150k
Scooter is stock

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2014, 05:31:46 PM »
No
I check it once a week before I start the scoot...would an air bubble be a possibility under those conditions?

No  BlackHawk. Only when you first fill it. Sometimes the filter will trap air at first but not after a 10-15 second ride.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Yager200i

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2014, 08:38:35 PM »
I've got almost 9000 miles on my scoot, and it burns no oil at all. I think if you give the engine an easy break-in, your rings don't seal as well, and you suck some oil up the cylinder walls and burn it.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2014, 08:41:48 PM »
If you DON'T give the engine an easy break in...

Yager200i

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2014, 10:33:40 PM »
If you DON'T give the engine an easy break in...

Um, no.

Easy break in: limiting throttle opening for X miles, driving it easily.
Hard break in: maximizing cylinder pressure. Riding it like you stole it.

Think of the difference between throttle-blipping "zing zing zing" and high-gear pulling from a low speed "whaaaaaa". That "whaaaaa" is what a hard break-in is about... that and snapping your throttle closed at high speeds instead of "throttling back".

An easy break-in means your rings don't get worn in properly, so they don't seal as well. You get more blow-by, less compression, higher oil consumption, and less power.

A hard break-in will push your rings against the cylinder wall harder, wear them to a better profile so they seal better, giving you more compression, less blow-by, less oil consumption, a cleaner combustion chamber, and longer engine life.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()