Author Topic: Speedometer  (Read 3545 times)

GBBBiker

• View Profile
Speedometer
« on: October 16, 2014, 10:36:55 PM »
From experense I know that motorcycle speedometer are inacurate. :( From what I have been reading so are Scooter speedometers. Thinking of adding a Sigma bicycle computer. I have read that when correctly calibrated they are very accurate. Has anyone on this forum done this? If so what results?

windwheeler

• View Profile
    • WindStrom windshields
Re: Speedometer
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 02:38:09 AM »
If you buy one that accommodates 12 inch wheels (with the tire diameter) then it should work according to people I know have done it on motorcycles, but more with 17" and bigger wheels. But sometimes to position the sensor and magnet on a "bike" is not so easy.

I have a small cheap outdated used GPS (about $40) mounted on the G/V, that serves as an accurate speedometer and still acts as an emergency GPS when I need it.

Another way is to find out the percentage your speedometer is off (probably around 9-10%) and make a small sticker on the bottom of the odometer that says e.g.  speedo 50=45mph 60=54 65=59 70=63  or in reverse like 65mph=72 speedo indicates... and so on.  You get my point.

Urbestfriend

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 02:51:38 PM »
I too highly recommend a GPS.  Mine has a screen that shows the MPH in a 2" circle.  I have AAA and when I've had trouble hit "where am I" and tell the Oklahoma Helpdesk the information they need. Mine is in a Plastic waterproof box and has been on my bike for 3 or 4 years.  Nobody messes with it because no one knows what it is.   The main issue is reflection on the screen.  If you'd like a picture let me know.....

arcanum70

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 05:42:43 PM »
In using my GPS to determine how off my speedo was (it was actually replaced when I purchased the bike) I found that up to 100kph if I take the KPH reading and divide it by 2 I have an accurate MPH speed.  so, at 60KPH I'm doing 30MPH, at 80 I'm doing 40, and at 100 I'm doing 50.  But, after 100kph it gets a bit wonky.  At 120kph I'm actually doing 65. 

I use the KPH reading because the xciting that I have is biased towards KPH and I'm old so I have a hard time reading the small red mph numbers...lol.
Build a man a fire and you keep him warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

MooseMax

• This space for rent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 12:55:49 AM »
Mine is in a Plastic waterproof box and has been on my bike for 3 or 4 years.  Nobody messes with it because no one knows what it is.   The main issue is reflection on the screen.  If you'd like a picture let me know.....

I'd like to see it, if you don't mind.  I'm not visualizing a dash-mounted accessory that people wouldn't mess with.. unless there's like Hello Kitty stickers on it.  ;D
People 250
San Francisco, USA

windwheeler

• View Profile
    • WindStrom windshields
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 01:22:37 AM »
I'd like to see it, if you don't mind.  I'm not visualizing a dash-mounted accessory that people wouldn't mess with.. unless there's like Hello Kitty stickers on it.  ;D

...it certainly depends where you live...  A bigger city, forget it, an innocent little city, no problem.  I went from my "little city" to a larger city (in the same State) at Christmas and did not even think to remove the GPS from my car's windshield (NEVER had a problem before), and while at Christmas service in the church parking lot the side window was smashed and the GPS stolen, and then some more damage (about $750 in total). 
This is the ******* world we live in now.

Urbestfriend

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 07:39:51 PM »
I have been trying to load the pictures,  but it keeps kicking me out.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 07:56:32 PM »
If you right click on the picts. you will get an option to "Edit".
That will open MS Paint. On the top left you will see an option to "resize".

I choose "percentage" when using it, and you can ball park by the KB/MB size of the Pict. I THINK 194kb is the max size here...
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Urbestfriend

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 10:17:23 PM »
I already did that.  My file starts at Desktop.  When I click on attachments and other options. I get kicked off the Internet Connection immediately.  I had this problem in the past also....

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2014, 11:37:49 PM »
What browser are you using... Tor will "kick" you off.
In Private will also not allow posting picts in some browsers.

Try D'loading Opera, and run it as is. That will allow you to post. You can always delete it after(opera) if you don't trust it.

I is some combo of settings you have.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Urbestfriend

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2014, 01:41:13 PM »
Photo of GPS Open.

Urbestfriend

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2014, 02:07:42 PM »
Photo of GPS Closed...The GPS Suction Cup Mount was sawed off and mounted to the removable plate in the center of the bars.  The GPS snap-on half was mounted on the bottom of the hinged waterproof box (from Sporting Goods Shop like Bass Pro Shop).  I painted the inside top half flat black and drilled a hole above the round digital GPS display and mounted a magnifying glass from Michael's Crafts.  Unfortunately the Screen reflects and is hard to read depending on the sun's position,  so I added a length of PVC tube.  There are alternate ways of mounting it,  but I added a spring and magnets (K&J Magnetics) to hold the box in position so it doesn't rotate on the mount.  This box has been on this bike for 4 or 5 years now.   To the left I have a 3 inlet 12 VDA magnetically mounted to one of the screws on the master cylinder.  This controls my Hopkin's Deer Alert and Digital Voltmeter.  So far nobody has messed with my bike because many think it looks like a Police Bike.  This bike also has Front and Rear LED's that are used at night.  The flasher also alternates and does standard 4-way options  (Superlumination).  I earlier mounted a 12 VDC receptacle with an On/Off Switch on the dash.  Both my Xciting and Grandvista are appropriately set-up this way.  Had to save these pictures (jpg.) under Documents to Load here.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2014, 10:51:09 PM »
Now THAT's cool! I'm glad you sorted the Picts UrBest! They are worth it.

Urbestfriend

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2014, 11:49:16 PM »
Thanks Zombie...

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2014, 01:48:34 AM »
Any time Bro!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()