Author Topic: Uphill power? Does the Like 200i struggle up hills?  (Read 6905 times)

CrzRani

• Rani
    • View Profile
Uphill power? Does the Like 200i struggle up hills?
« on: October 14, 2014, 08:00:43 PM »
Hi all,
I'm new to this forum and am considering converting from my Honda scooter to a Kymco Like 200i LX.  I live in a semi hilly town, so the main reason I want to upgrade from my 50 to the 163cc is for my uphill power.  My Honda struggles up hill past 20 mph or I need to maintain my momentum in turns to make it happen. 

Also, the other reason specifically for the 163cc, is cause I found a dealer that has one new from 2013 and it's a screaming deal.  I just don't want the deal and find out I was better off just sticking to my Honda.   :)  Appreciate any feedback.

TIA
Why lose weight, buy more horsepower......

2wheelfun

• View Profile
Re: Uphill power? Does the Like 200i struggle up hills?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 08:16:44 PM »
Do yourself a favor, test drive a movie150 before you buy the like200. 13.5hp vs 10hp. You will notice the difference in acceleration and torque................look up my posts on like 200 and stigs too. The movie is built in Taiwan the 200 in PRC. Then decide.......good luck bro.

CrzRani

• Rani
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 09:07:23 PM »
I appreciate the feedback.  Didn't know it was PRC made, but I do like the retro look better with the upper trunk, so the Movie wouldn't fit what I'm looking for.  I will go test ride it though and see if it's as peppy as my Honda, since I did put a kit on mine and a Yoshi exhaust.  added 5MPH.

big blue

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 09:37:52 PM »
Actually the 200i is 11.3 BHP. My Like will pull most good hills at 45 mph from a dead stop. Mine has been totally trouble free in 5000 miles. If the deal is really good I say go for it! ;)
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

CrzRani

• Rani
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 10:36:42 PM »
Actually the 200i is 11.3 BHP. My Like will pull most good hills at 45 mph from a dead stop. Mine has been totally trouble free in 5000 miles. If the deal is really good I say go for it! ;)
Thanks for that info.  45 will work!
I figured that it should have enough umph.  11.3 vs 4.3hp that I have now is significant.  I'm still haggling with the dealer.  I know that it's 2013 they have in stock, but new.  They can't want to keep that baby in inventory, if they can help it.

LidoCA

• I LIKE chinese plastic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 11:25:12 PM »
 Like Big Blue stated, it will go up a hill at 45 from a dead stop. If you have momentum, it will climb a little faster. I live in a hilly area and frequently ride go over some large hills. I have no problems, with the exception of the cagers that want to go 60 mph on a 45 mph hill.
Steve
I have ridden well over 17 miles on my scooters.

2013 LIKE 200i LX.
2016 Yamaha SMax
2014 Yamaha Majesty
La Mirada, Ca.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 12:00:54 AM »
Don't know what part of the country you are in ....or how soon you need the scoot...
Last winter I saw these LIKE200i's list real close to $2K new...'left over'  stock.
If the dealer is talking in that neighborhood "out the door",  or "on the road"  I would think that would be a very good deal.
Now, having said that - most of the LIKE200i owners here are having a very good experince with their's - and have not needed much support from their dealers. BUT, if you ever do need your dealer for a mechanical issue - how do you think the folks you are dealing with will stack up in that area??

The LIKE200i is a pretty darn good scooter (read justgottascoot.com for a good review of the scooter) - but my experience has taught me to look r e a l hard at the quality of the dealer I'm buying from. I bought another scooter - this time it was a Honda.....for my local dealer support. I suspect every area of the country is a different experience.

FYI- have seen low mile Honda PCX's going for $2200 from private sellers (ie. dealer 'out the door' add ons) - and as a Honda owner you know you can't beat that scoot with a stick! The PCX will outrun the Kymco. BUT, that Kymco is a whole lot easier to work on if you like to do your own servicing!! Say "valve adjustment" to a PCX owner and they go into a cold sweat ....and well, it not pretty to watch..

You're looking at the LX version ??
Hmmmm....
Remember, they like the cold.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

CrzRani

• Rani
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2014, 10:33:29 PM »
Thanks Stig.  I live in Southern California and so weather is not the issue.  You have the exact scheme I'm looking at!  I never really thought I would like the retro look, considering I have sport bikes, but I've learned to diversify my look on my scooters.  It seems that everyone loves their Like, and the PCX is not my style, even though it may run circles around the Like.  I definitely like the tail trunk, and the paint scheme is bomb!

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2014, 11:57:16 PM »
Thanks Stig.  I live in Southern California and so weather is not the issue.  You have the exact scheme I'm looking at!  I never really thought I would like the retro look, considering I have sport bikes, but I've learned to diversify my look on my scooters.  It seems that everyone loves their Like, and the PCX is not my style, even though it may run circles around the Like.  I definitely like the tail trunk, and the paint scheme is bomb!
Well, I must say that you have amazingly good taste! :D (I'm not entirely alone in this - there are 3 or 4 {nearly} equally erudite owners of this color LIKE on this forum- though few as good looking as you & I)
Yep - it was the classy retro style of this scooter that attracted me. Did you know that it was designed by a famous Italian design house ? Not kidding. The details of portions of the scoot are impressive.
 I liked the rear trunk - it is so darned handy for clothes and groceries and stuff.... I saw & liked the large rear tail light for safety....but since I ride in city traffic at night, every day, I decided I wanted more 'presence' to the cars behind me.
Looking at a lot of options for rear lights - and lighted rear top cases - for the price I decided to add the Bestem 929 lighted case. It seemed too big to me at first - but it grew on me. I really like that it comes with the lights installed, that the lights can be seen from the side as well as the rear, that ALL the lights get brighter when I touch the brakes, and that it does not cost $400 to $700 !
For about $125 I installed it on my LIKE and wired it to my rear lights. It is a 'running' light and a brake light....just like the scoot's tail light. ( a couple of us on this forum posted how-to's on this top case install)

Running lights with key on...

From the side....

Brakes applied...

« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 12:00:37 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

FinancialFider

• Los Angeles 200i Owner
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2014, 04:57:52 AM »
Thanks for that info.  45 will work!
I figured that it should have enough umph.  11.3 vs 4.3hp that I have now is significant.  I'm still haggling with the dealer.  I know that it's 2013 they have in stock, but new.  They can't want to keep that baby in inventory, if they can help it.

Which dealer? I live in SoCal and got my 2013 Like200i for $2,850 Out the Door from Pacific Motorsports back in Dec.2013. Also I manged to get 45 MPH on a steep hill in San Pedro. Power on a freeway? Top Speed 55MPH I can prove it

http://youtu.be/SxvD4LlPOV8?list=LLjc4eWl-qsX5zZnn9kgpoaA
2013 Like200i since Dec.2013. NGK CR7HIX Iridium Spark Plug, Givi37L Top Case, Royal Purple 10-40W Syn Oil, Lucas 75-90W Syn Gear Oil, Michelin City Grip Rear Tire - 130/70-12, and Michelin Bopper Front 120/70-12 Tire. 5,100 as of Oct.2014

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2014, 03:24:55 PM »
From a dead stop or hitting an uphill climb at 50 or above my Like will eventually settle at 45 mph. I weigh 210 so a lighter rider might get more speed doing a climb. The like pulls decent for roughly 12 hp.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2014, 09:11:16 PM »
Which dealer? I live in SoCal and got my 2013 Like200i for $2,850 Out the Door from Pacific Motorsports back in Dec.2013. Also I manged to get 45 MPH on a steep hill in San Pedro. Power on a freeway? Top Speed 55MPH I can prove it

Glad you're still around to tell this story!
My goodness....they were flying by you on all sides!
The LIKE is not a freeway scooter!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

LidoCA

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2014, 12:19:20 AM »

I bought mine at Pacific as well. She is in OC, so I would.guess Laguna or Costa Mesa.
Steve

2013 LIKE 200i LX.
2016 Yamaha SMax
2014 Yamaha Majesty
La Mirada, Ca.

LidoCA

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2014, 12:25:00 AM »
Don't know what part of the country you are in ....or how soon you need the scoot...
Last winter I saw these LIKE200i's list real close to $2K new...'left over'  stock.
If the dealer is talking in that neighborhood "out the door",  or "on the road"  I would think that would be a very good deal.
Now, having said that - most of the LIKE200i owners here are having a very good experince with their's - and have not needed much support from their dealers. BUT, if you ever do need your dealer for a mechanical issue - how do you think the folks you are dealing with will stack up in that area??

The LIKE200i is a pretty darn good scooter (read justgottascoot.com for a good review of the scooter) - but my experience has taught me to look r e a l hard at the quality of the dealer I'm buying from. I bought another scooter - this time it was a Honda.....for my local dealer support. I suspect every area of the country is a different experience.

FYI- have seen low mile Honda PCX's going for $2200 from private sellers (ie. dealer 'out the door' add ons) - and as a Honda owner you know you can't beat that scoot with a stick! The PCX will outrun the Kymco. BUT, that Kymco is a whole lot easier to work on if you like to do your own servicing!! Say "valve adjustment" to a PCX owner and they go into a cold sweat ....and well, it not pretty to watch..

You're looking at the LX version ??
Hmmmm....
Remember, they like the cold.

Stig

I just love that picture of your LIKE in the snow. It fits into the scenery nicely.
Steve

2013 LIKE 200i LX.
2016 Yamaha SMax
2014 Yamaha Majesty
La Mirada, Ca.

Vintage MX

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2014, 02:14:04 AM »
How's this for hillclimbing speed? Moderate grade, 7000 feet above sea level, 60°F, premium gas, 230 pound rider... get ready for it... 30 mph. Davis Mountains in the Big Bend country of Texas. Great ride I'll post about separately....  Sure glad I upgraded from that Like 50!
2011 Like 200i, 2002 KTM 200 EXC and a garage full of 1970s Motocrossers and Trials Bikes.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()