Author Topic: Carburetor upgrade time!!!!  (Read 8388 times)

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
Carburetor upgrade time!!!!
« on: October 13, 2014, 11:49:07 PM »
Got the Bet & Win a little present last week ;) This carb came off a Xciting 500, and is massive compared to stock. It actually fits pretty damn good, had to hog out the rubber on the intake a little bit, and modify the airbox to fit.

And just for the heck of it, my scooter staring into the distance majestically
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Carburetor upgrade time!!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 01:07:45 AM »
Now you have to get into porting the head.
I'v'e been wanting to do that to one of these for a long time now. Just to see what it can do.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 01:20:50 AM »
Yeah my next step is to port the intake side to match the venturi diameter. But for now, just testing if it will even work. First test ride went awesome, the jetting is close. I can tell it will have a TON more high rpm power, with the stock 30mm carb it kind of ran out of steam around 8000rpm. This guy should keep it going to 9k+ :) Fully ported I would rate this engine up to 100mph possibly more. I ordered a red torque spring to keep the RPM's up a bit more (Have an old yellow in there right now)
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 01:28:32 AM »
Love IT!

With another grand my ZX could do 100...
Aim a little higher. Maybe 125-130?

Watch out for the wobbles tho. That sucks!

I used to run a 28mm delorto on a 72 cc malossi kit. You're well within the workable range. Bottom end will suffer some but w/ porting, and a higher rpm you will never notice. The top end is its own reward.

Kudos Bro!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 01:49:57 AM »
Yeah two strokes are crazy, that's almost as big of a carb as my 300cc lol. If i had better access to machine shop i would have this head off tomorrow. Port match and polish, drop some oversize valves in and a standalone MSD ignition and I'd be close to 50hp.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 11:10:52 PM »
It's recycled aluminum. It cuts like butter w/ a dremel shaping bit. don,t even try the grinding stones... They clog/shatter in no time

I used my drill press just like a mill, and took out about an 1/8" at a pass on my engine cases.

All you REALLY have to work on is matching the intake, and head port. Once you get a good funnel shape you have increased velocity, and HP.

Look at the HPI Ign. It's a bad ass set up. Just the inner rotor set increases rpm/hp by shaving off 2-3 lbs from the crank, It's instant revs.

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 02:26:35 AM »
 :o 8)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2014, 02:38:52 AM »
 ;) :-*   ;D ;D ;D

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2014, 11:07:00 PM »
B & L, that is one great picture!
I think your scoot is looking out to it's home in Taiwan, yes?
Very nice job!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2014, 02:27:52 AM »
Haha yes, staring out the coast west to its birthplace Taiwan!!

juno0923

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2014, 09:42:08 AM »
Just curious, how is the gas consumption with the new carb?

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2014, 10:56:51 AM »
Notably worse lol

mrbios

• 2005 Kymco Grandvista 250cc
  • Just crusing along on my 2005 GV250
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2015, 01:51:16 AM »
Cool performance upgrades.  Was the Yosh pipe made for that scoot or did you customize it?
PaulC

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2015, 02:44:56 AM »
Cool performance upgrades.  Was the Yosh pipe made for that scoot or did you customize it?

Thanks, the Yoshi is a one off i used a gsxr RS3 can with an aftermarket Dink stainless header. Tig welded and 10000 still going strong without cracks! Has a really cool sound, like an old ww2 fighter.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2015, 04:41:23 PM »
That's funny because I have heard other people riding my bike, and it does sound like a prop more than an engine.

Crazy Cool!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()