Author Topic: Speed Restrictor  (Read 5986 times)

kaktuschick

• View Profile
Speed Restrictor
« on: October 13, 2014, 05:28:10 PM »
Is there a way to remove some sort of restrictor from the People s200 to make it go just a LITTLE faster? I'd love it if I could get my scooter up to about 70mph. I don't know much about this sort of thing. Would it be possible? Would it damage anything?
I was doing a google search, asking about why the scooter tends to jerk a bit when I go too fast or down hill and I came across a post in another  forum about a 'rev restrictor' and that got me to thinking-maybe there is some sort of governor or restrictor that could be removed to add a little more speed to my scooter. I'd love to be able to go just a tad faster so that when I am forced to get on the interstate, I'd be less likely to be mowed down.
ANY replies would be appreciated. And, if this questions is a stupid one, I apologize for the annoyance, lol.

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
Re: Speed Restrictor
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 06:21:16 PM »
There is no restriction on the s200. Your restricted by power, that's it. I have extensively tuned my girlfriends s200 and she hits 80 on the speed o no problem. The s200 has a tps based cdi so you don't h want to swap it, there is no "rev limit". If you want more top speed, the BEST thing you can do on the s200 is order yourself a Dr. Pulley variator I've seen them as low as $80 on eBay new. Also get 12g Dr pulley sliders. This will get you to about 70. Another great upgrade for that bike is a larger carb, both my gf and my cousin i have upgraded their carb to a 30mm cvk off of 250cc Kymco. This is the main upgrade in top speed but fairly expensive. A cam will help you too, but that is a pretty involved installation of you haven't done it before. The s200 had amazing potential and with a grand or so i could get it going 100mph pretty easy. All the parts I've listed will be four the gy6 engine, because the s200 shares almost all engine and trans parts with gy6, so if you order the variator make sure it says will work with gy6 150cc. Good luck, pm me if you need more tips! (Ps i have a 250 carb for sale too 😉)
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

kaktuschick

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 07:18:43 PM »
THank you VERY MUCH for that info! I'm really excited about learning about how my scooter runs and learning to fix problems on my own! ALL of the info and help I can get is greatly appreciated. :)

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 08:19:24 PM »
I don't plan on making any changes to my 200s but it's good to hear that there are simple things that can be done. My question is, how much will that change MPG and normal for the scooter speeds (40 MPH or so/ and city riding)?

Assuming my 200s is normal when I'm hitting it's normal limits 55+ MPH the engine sounds like it's ready to shake itself apart, do these changes cause any premature failure?
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 08:53:46 PM »
Most of the things I mentioned actually increase reliability. The easier your motor works going 55-60 the longer it will last.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 11:14:02 PM »
Most of the things I mentioned actually increase reliability. The easier your motor works going 55-60 the longer it will last.

Thanks, I assume this will also give a slower take off, not that that matters much to me, but you have a good point, I was thinking it would increase RPM for greater speed not slow the Rev's the engine puts out.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2014, 11:45:44 PM »
It depends on what you do exactly, if you build your bike for high torque at a decent RPM then it should last better than stock, if you build it to scream at any speed then it won't. Things like adding a Dr. Pulley CVT, open exhaust, and large carb and camshaft will not decrease reliability.

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2014, 01:34:20 AM »
It depends on what you do exactly, if you build your bike for high torque at a decent RPM then it should last better than stock, if you build it to scream at any speed then it won't. Things like adding a Dr. Pulley CVT, open exhaust, and large carb and camshaft will not decrease reliability.

If I went to a dealer shop and asked them to do those changes minus the cams what do you think they'd charge?

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2014, 03:29:39 AM »
For you?

"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2014, 07:21:22 PM »
For you?

Zombie, I'll look at the clip later today, I ask about having it done as my hands don't cooperate with my mind and time is limited for me having a young daughter, she always wants to help but doesn't have the ability to sit still yet if you know what I mean.

Thanks for the clips. 08

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2014, 07:30:15 PM »
It was just my estimate of what your dealer would charge... One million dollars!

I have modified my browser, and it no longer embeds the Ytube vids. If you were able to see the embedded pict you would have gotten it right away...
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2014, 11:03:26 PM »
It was just my estimate of what your dealer would charge... One million dollars!

I have modified my browser, and it no longer embeds the Ytube vids. If you were able to see the embedded pict you would have gotten it right away...

I can see or view from this CPU, wil look in a while from another source, thanks.

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2014, 12:41:21 AM »

[/quote
Ok mini me, I got you.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2014, 02:42:28 AM »
LOL!!!! :-*

0BARK4322

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2015, 08:41:38 AM »
There is no restriction on the s200. Your restricted by power, that's it. I have extensively tuned my girlfriends s200 and she hits 80 on the speed o no problem. The s200 has a tps based cdi so you don't h want to swap it, there is no "rev limit". If you want more top speed, the BEST thing you can do on the s200 is order yourself a Dr. Pulley variator I've seen them as low as $80 on eBay new. Also get 12g Dr pulley sliders. This will get you to about 70. Another great upgrade for that bike is a larger carb, both my gf and my cousin i have upgraded their carb to a 30mm cvk off of 250cc Kymco. This is the main upgrade in top speed but fairly expensive. A cam will help you too, but that is a pretty involved installation of you haven't done it before. The s200 had amazing potential and with a grand or so i could get it going 100mph pretty easy. All the parts I've listed will be four the gy6 engine, because the s200 shares almost all engine and trans parts with gy6, so if you order the variator make sure it says will work with gy6 150cc. Good luck, pm me if you need more tips! (Ps i have a 250 carb for sale too 😉)
Still looking at around $500 ???
ALL STOCK

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()