Author Topic: Another New Owner  (Read 3323 times)

Texsinbad

• View Profile
Another New Owner
« on: September 28, 2014, 11:34:42 PM »
Picked up my new 2014 Super 8 150 in Orange, which is a lot prettier than I thought, on 9/27.  I know that there are at least two thoughts on how to break them in--nice and easy; and like you stole it.  Some one here said that for the first 300 miles only half throttle and then only 3/4ths the next 300 miles.

I tried nice and easy, but here in the Clearwater, Fl area, most street limits are 45mph, and if I only did the half throttle, I would get run over.  Going 45 is like 3/4th throttle or more.

Today, 9/28, I went on a longer ride, and at 80 miles, the gas gauge was around 3/4ths, but every mile after that, I could almost see the gauge going down and down.  At about 120 miles, it was in the red, and I was a good ways from a gas station.  I drove it around 30mph to save gas and luckily found one before I ran out.

The odometer read 139.9 and I put in 1.15 gallons, which gave me about 122mpg.  From reading others here, I thought the general average was around 70mpg.  Was this just a fluke or for the first tank?

How many miles do most go before filling up?

I am thinking about adding a top box to be able to carry more.  I worry about going to big and looking like a pimple on the back.  What are some of the average sizes?

Are there other Super 8 150 forums that are good?

Thanks

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Another New Owner
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 01:32:51 AM »
Welcome Tex!

You might have won the S 8 lottery. All these engines are assembly line built, and the tolerances are all over the place. Some get loose fitting pistons, and huge end gaps in the rings, while others get Formula One fitting components.

The only issue with fast, and hard break-in is the rings. If they did not have a chance to seat correctly the gazes "blow by" them, and leave a residue on the sides of the piston. That residue will create drag, and faster wear of the engine.  At least 60% of the bikes I work on have this problem, and they are usually in need of top/bottom end rebuilds long before properly broken in engines.

Hi-test gas, synthetic oil, and clean filters will go a LONG way to keeping it in good repair.

Finally... All the other forums suck. You found the only good one.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 02:59:31 AM »
Keep in mind your speedometer and for that reason odo are off by up to 15% so that will give you higher mpg.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 05:55:22 AM »
My Super 8 is bullet proof!!!!!!!!!!! Typhoon proof and theft proof.... We were hit by a typhoon just two weeks ago and I parked my scoot outside the village along with other scoots... the following morning, some scoots were stolen... mine was still there but the ignition lock was forced...  :o deeeeym!!!! Maybe it was a swombie!!! ...  ;D

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 12:43:19 PM »
Makes you wanna choke a brother. I LOVE catching these mutts.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Texsinbad

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 02:35:28 PM »
From reading others here, I knew that the speedometer was off, but I didn't know/realize that also affected the odometer. 

So, instead of 139.9 miles, I might actually went 118.9, which would give me 103.4 mpg.  Still, not too bad.

manimal

• 2013 Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 06:23:56 PM »
Aside from important points that Zombie posted, varied throttle is important during the break-in process. in other words, don't hold the throttle at a steady position for long periods of time. Get up to a cruising speed (gradually if possible), and periodically roll off the throttle dropping speed / load off the motor, then re-apply throttle speed again to maintain a cruising speed. Repeat as necessary. Heat cycles are important too. Again, in other words, allowing the motor to cool down between (intervals) rides is important too.
~Daren
California (Nor*Cal)

wkreps

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2014, 06:16:04 PM »
could be the 139.9 is kilometers. That's roughly 86 miles and would a lot closer to the norm of what others are seeing. Look close at the speedometer ( two rings of numbers) if the larger on is labeled KM then that's the case. Usually though Super8's in the US are calibrated to MPH.
Wayne

Texsinbad

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 10:54:06 PM »
I will check with the dealer, but I find it hard to believe that the odometer is in kilometers.  Yes, the speedometer has both miles and kilometers per hour.

Anyway, had my second fill up today.  112.5 miles indicated and 0.857 gallons giving me 131.27 mpg. 

I guess it is possible that my speedometer/odometer is WAY off.  I was thinking about doing a measured mile in my car and see what the scooter reads.  Will let you know when I get around to it.

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2014, 11:05:14 PM »
Some are in km some are in miles, USUALLY the odo follows the larger numbers on the speedometer, i.e. if the main large numbers are mph the odo should be miles etc.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

Texsinbad

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2014, 05:03:05 PM »
I checked with the dealer today and even though the big numbers are in MPH, the odometer is in kilometers.

That would mean that I got 75.6 mpg the first tank and 81.6 mpg on the second, which is about the norm.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2014, 05:17:43 PM »
Life always has a way of kicking you in the ass, just when you thought it was getting better.

So much for the magic bike.

Amaro321

• View Profile
Another New Owner
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2014, 08:54:16 AM »
Lmao. Still ride her like she was stolen, she likes is rough 😳

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2014, 07:32:49 PM »
So you DID find "The One"! Congrats!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()