Author Topic: Low oil cut off???  (Read 1878 times)

whiskeykid

• View Profile
Low oil cut off???
« on: September 22, 2014, 12:46:58 AM »
I made one of the most cardinal mistakes anyone can make...I loaned out my scooter. To a dumbass.
Yeah yeah I know but the guy worked for me and dumbass or not if I wanted him to show up to work for the several weeks he was without a car I had to loan him my People 150.
I got it back with the assurance that he had changed the oil as I had indicated etc etc and I compounded my own mistakes by not double checking everything and immediately changing the oil again myself before going on a ride. Well it just stopped about thirty miles outside of town and then would not start again. I check the oil and it is bloody bone dry. After I finished cursing I sent my friend for a quart of oil and filled it. It has compression and it has spark but it will not start.
A honda mechanic I know says he feels certain that it has a low oil cut off switch but I am not finding a reference to it out there so I am asking here in hopes that someone will know.
If there is one by some chance, how does one go about flipping that switch back into the other position as it were?

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Low oil cut off???
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 12:55:22 AM »
RICHARD?

There is no oil pressure switch. The compression you "feel" may just be a scored cylinder.
Do a proper compression test 120 PSI is the target.
Not to upset you but my guess is yours will be 40ish..If your not Richard... same thing applies.

(My buddy owns a bar, and has a people 150, as well as a GM that recently caught a DUI.)
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

whiskeykid

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 02:12:17 AM »
Ya know, what makes this funny to me is that in a not dissimilar situation I also thought that I recognized someone in an online post, only I was saying 'Doiley Sucker?!? Is that you?'
That being said, nope I am not Richard.

I have not done a proper compression test yet...need to borrow the gauge in the next couple of days. My reference to it seeming to have good compression was based on a guy that is a local Mobil motorcycle mechanic on the weekends but Honda mechanic during the week who was looking at my People 250 (bad kickstand cut off that was interrupting the ignition whether up or down...felt like a dumbass for not diagnosing that myself) and I asked him about the 150 and he gave me the opinion that it was 100+ psi based on kicking it several times. So if he is right but there is no low oil cut off then I am stumped a bit. If the pressure really is around 40 or so then i am looking at a new top end or selling it for parts...which would blow.

RICHARD?

There is no oil pressure switch. The compression you "feel" may just be a scored cylinder.
Do a proper compression test 120 PSI is the target.
Not to upset you but my guess is yours will be 40ish..If your not Richard... same thing applies.

(My buddy owns a bar, and has a people 150, as well as a GM that recently caught a DUI.)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 07:32:44 AM »
I wouldn't get upset yet. low (compression?)
It's just a guess at this point. Having fuel/spark/compression are the 3 requirements for running.
If there were indeed an oil pressure cut out, then there would be no spark.

In re reading I don't see that you verified fuel. Perhaps something as simple as a bad fuel petcock or leaking/disconnected petcock vacuum line? Maybe a loose or cracked intake coupler? Dirty air filter?

What does the spark plug tell you (besides, "Please don't scrap me".)
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()