Author Topic: Kymco, loyal or not so loyal?  (Read 6439 times)

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
Kymco, loyal or not so loyal?
« on: September 17, 2014, 07:47:14 PM »
If you were given the scooter of your choice what would it be an why?

My point is I want to know if we ride Kymco because it's what we can afford or is it because it's a good scoot when all is said and done.

If given that same choice of a car I'd pick a Ford, I just like them. Where do you stand when it comes to scoots?
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

big blue

• View Profile
Re: Kymco, loyal or not so loyal?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 11:34:42 PM »
If I could have the scooter of my choice and money were no object it would probably be the Kymco GT 300i. I really enjoy my Like 200i and it fills my needs well. But the 29bhp and the larger tires (for freeway use) would make for a great all around ride. I think that Kymco makes a good product which is priced competitively and the technology is on a par with the competition. ;)
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 11:54:36 PM »
Piagio all day.

They have been making scooters for decades before Kymco, and are quality from top to bottom.
I only have a Kymco because a friend was moving, and needed the money more than he needed to transport his scooter.

Other than that I was, and still am quite happy w/ my little Honda NC 50. Every part is OEM from 1970.
It's a NO-Ped. Looks like a moped but has no pedals.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 11:58:10 PM by zombie »
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
Loyal as long as
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 12:06:15 AM »
Kymco keeps making the People GTI300.
I bought a GT last year. Not only was it my first scooter, it was my first Kymco.
I like value and performance in one package.
The GTI300 has both. When I wear the one I have out. Betcha i'll go back for another Kymco.
I have owned many motorcycles over the years.
Have been very pleased with my scooter.
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

mrmike

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 12:23:12 AM »
I'm 70 years old. I sold my Harley three years ago. Too heavy, too loud, and tough to climb on and off at my age. I decided I wanted to try a scooter. I  didn't have a huge selection in my area (central New York), and found a People 150. I tried it, enjoyed it, and bought it. After a year, I wanted a little more top end for the interstates. I checked around and found my GTI300. I love it. Plenty of power, good handling, no clutch, and great mileage. Now that I've had two scooters and know a little more about them, I'm very glad I went the route I did.

I've never owned any other brand, but everybody raves about the Italian and Honda scooters. Quite frankly for the difference in cost, I don't know how they could be "that" much better. For my money, I'm very pleased with my Kymco, and would buy another if the occasion arises.
Blue '23 People S 150i ABS          

Past rides- '73 Honda 450, '00 Harley Softail Deuce, '10 Kymco People 150, '12 Kymco GTI 300, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 02:21:15 AM »
Piagio all day.

They have been making scooters for decades before Kymco, and are quality from top to bottom.
I only have a Kymco because a friend was moving, and needed the money more than he needed to transport his scooter.

Other than that I was, and still am quite happy w/ my little Honda NC 50. Every part is OEM from 1970.
It's a NO-Ped. Looks like a moped but has no pedals.
Piaggio makes great bikes, but e don't get any of the cool ones. They have done epic racing scooters in Europe in the Piaggio family. I hate the way Italian stuff is built tho, very over engineered and they don't design it to be serviced at all. Half their bikes you have to drop the engine to do the frikin valves lol. Personally money not an object, my pick would be the Lambretta GP200. First scooter with disc brake, 200cc of two stroke Smokey power and beautiful body lines.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

kingkymco125

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 06:06:28 AM »
Before I had my Kymco Agility 125 scooter, I had owned two cheap 50cc Chinese scooters. After purchasing my current Kymco, I would never go back to the Chinese ones. I have been satisfied with my Kymco. If money was no object, I would buy a Honda Forza 300 scooter. I love their marketing they have done for this model. They have this You Tube video which is a story about the joy of riding the scooter. Not only does it inform the buyer, it educates them on the benefits of owning one of these scooters.

I would buy another Kymco as well. I love my bike as she loves to go. I would consider the 500cc excite maxi scooter for my needs. I could join the Riders of Nevada meetup group. I would be able to keep up with all the motorcycle riders even though I was on a scooter. It is a matter of what one likes. I have no complaints about my current Kymco 125 scooter. I love it that she can do 55mph with no problems at all.
David M.  Las Vegas, Nevada
New 2012 Kymco Agility 125cc bike

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 06:12:24 AM »
A little over 2 years ago I spotted a Vespa parked near a restaurant my wife and I just finished eating at. Went home and immediately started doing a Google search. Soon thereafter I went to the local scooter dealer but started to have second thoughts about getting a scooter. I have always riden big street bikes and wasn't sure a smaller bike would satisfy me. I didn't want to pay a premium for a Vespa and then discover scooters aren't for me. I thought about it for a week and returned to the dealer. As I was talking to the sales guy about my reservations for buying a scooter he pointed to the Kymco Like as a less expensive alternative. For $2,600 it wasn't going to break the bank if I didn't like it. The ride home was all it took to convince me. While I do enjoy my Kymco I do have some remorse. To this day I wished I had bought a Vespa. When the time comes I'll buy another scooter  and it will be a Vespa 300 GTS.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 06:15:25 AM by TroutBum »

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2014, 12:04:42 PM »
Im pushing 60 years old.and I have had hondas and yamahas.But kymco has lasted the longest for me.I would go back to kymco for the money you pay is worth it.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2014, 01:21:02 PM »
You guys know you won't get a free bike from Kymco for all the kissing up in the world, right.
Just sayin'.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

gn2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2014, 02:12:25 PM »
For me the brand is unimportant, what matters is reliability, features, cost of ownership and availability of a decent local dealer.
I should explain "features"...
I will now only buy a scooter with ABS.
Underseat storage must accomodate my helmet, jacket and trousers.
Top speed must be around 90mph, average real world fuel consumption must exceed 70mpg (imperial)
KPH biased speedometers are a complete no-no for me, I won't buy any vehicle unless the large scale on the speedo is in MPH or its digital in MPH.
The KPH and ABS things are why I don't have a Downtown.
I have to laugh at the comments about Piaggios, they are notoriously unreliable and rust like they've got ferric cancer.
Hondas too can have problems, my Forza has had one warranty repair and is awaiting a second.
Would I buy into the Kymco brand?
Absolutely if they sold something which meets my exacting requirements.
Currently they don't. :( 

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2014, 02:22:26 PM »
For me the brand is unimportant, what matters is reliability, features, cost of ownership and availability of a decent local dealer.
I should explain "features"...
I will now only buy a scooter with ABS.
Underseat storage must accomodate my helmet, jacket and trousers.
Top speed must be around 90mph, average real world fuel consumption must exceed 70mpg (imperial)
KPH biased speedometers are a complete no-no for me, I won't buy any vehicle unless the large scale on the speedo is in MPH or its digital in MPH.
The KPH and ABS things are why I don't have a Downtown.
I have to laugh at the comments about Piaggios, they are notoriously unreliable and rust like they've got ferric cancer.
Hondas too can have problems, my Forza has had one warranty repair and is awaiting a second.
Would I buy into the Kymco brand?
Absolutely if they sold something which meets my exacting requirements.
Currently they don't. :(

Just goota ask. I understand the lack of ABS being a deal breaker, for you, on the downtown.
But the KPH ? If you have a Forza that's faster than a downtown you have the only one that is. The speedo reads MPH on top and is near spot-on.

Be Big,
AMAC
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 02:24:05 PM by Amac1680 »
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2014, 02:29:26 PM »
Quote:

I don't know about that one sir.
Right now I have a 1974 125cc Vespa in the back yard that lived it's whole life in Carrabelle (Gulf front).
It runs like a raped ape, and there is not one rust spot on the bike. The aluminum engine cases look weathered but the body is 100% rust free.
It's here because the owner hit a wall at 30ish mph (drunk), and broke the fork guide. If I hit one cinder block w/ my Kymco it would be the end of the bike.
Just sayin'

gn2

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2014, 04:30:47 PM »
1974 was a long time ago.
Never said my Forza was faster than a Downtown, don't care either way, both are fast enough to maintain the UK legal limit of 70mph with a bit in reserve.
KPH speedos just do my head in.
Lexmoto is a brand of cheap Chinese manufactured scooters, even they manage to fit their £1100 Vienna model with a digidash, so Kymco have no excuse fitting KPH speedos to UK market higher end scooters like the £4300 Downtown.

NeoGenesisMax

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2014, 06:26:11 PM »
If I had the money I would have chosen a BV 350 over my People GT 300i. But if sombody were to donate a Peugeot Jet Force Compressor I'd play with it every day until it broke. Its a 125 that is supercharged and does 75mph and has 20 hp. It will keep up with or beat a 250 off the line. Fun for a toy but not for a practicle daily rider. They brake easy and parts are almost nonexistant.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()