Author Topic: New guy....question about year  (Read 872 times)

cesium54

• View Profile
New guy....question about year
« on: September 17, 2014, 03:49:19 PM »
Hi all,
New here and new scooter owner. I have a Kymco Super 9, and the motor appears to be a SH10B.
My question, how do I determine the year? Is it in the frame number?
Thank you.....I'm sure I'll be asking questions as I progress.

Yes, I do have the service manual, and I have looked through all 205 pages, but can't seem to find where the VIN is broken down into real info!

'preciate

Cesium54
I want to get a tattoo of myself on my entire body, only 2 inches taller.

cesium54

• View Profile
Re: New guy....question about year
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 06:16:57 PM »
Never mind....after I cleaned the plate off of all of the gunk, I found June 2002 etched into the plate... ;D

Oh well, maybe next time I'll have a harder question for ya'll

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 12:04:13 AM »
2002 translates into 2002 from Taiwan to English. If it were a 2002 from China then it would really be a 1963 model.
Something in the Chinglish translation.
 Congrats on the score. That's a great bike to have and will hold it's value if not increase over the next few years. We can't get 2 stroke scooters here anymore never mind fast ones.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

cesium54

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 02:12:01 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement, Zombie. It was just taking up space in my son's basement and they're about to have a baby, and since he couldn't find a kid seat for it....well....I got it now!

Rode it twice, had to kick start it as the battery was dead. Then it stalls because the CDI needs 12V, or some such nonsense...so I am procuring a battery before it gets too cold to ride here.

Did you know that you have to mash the brake lever to get the starter to engage?
Found that out after I charged the battery, removed and tested the starter relay and when the troubleshooting guide said "won't start, do the brake lights come on"....a little light went off in my head.

I guess a lesson from my son would have come in handy, but he's got new daddy brains.....

Got her up to 45 or so, on a dirt road...little shaky. Any place I can get knobby tires for this scoot?

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 02:45:21 PM »
Try Bike Bandit.   http://www.bikebandit.com/?gclid=CIXiwJqA68ACFehj7AodQhIAqw
I use them exclusively. Many times the shipping is free due to promo's, and they do price match anybody.

I'm not sure about the S9 but many scooters won't spark if the kickstand is down too. It'll crank all day but no fire. I've beat my head against that wall once or twice.

I think I forgot to say, welcome to the forum! Glad to have another S9 in the fray.

Ps... Congrats on the grand kid. They make great fishin' buddies.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()