Author Topic: HID's  (Read 2580 times)

Super 8 150

• View Profile
HID's
« on: September 09, 2014, 12:16:21 AM »
Hello everybody, New here.   :D
I have a 2012 Super 8 150, I have changed all lighting to LED bulbs and some other cool mods. Now I need to changed the headlights to something more white. Not the yellowish that the stock headlights put out. So Im thinking either LED or HID bulbs?
Has anyone done this? What do I need to purchase? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
Re: HID's
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 03:12:17 AM »
I put a DDMTUNING hid kit on a customers s8 150 and it can't handle dual 35w hid, you end up having to charge the battery every few days. If you do get hids it's better to set it up so you have one high and one low then you won't have charging problems. I've used many ddmtuning kits and they are good for the price, "lifetime warranty". It's fairly involved wiring and taking apart your scoot to mount the ballast but not too hard if you've taken out apart before. Ddmtuning.com your want the dual motorcycle kit with 35w. You will have to rewrite because of the light control module.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

manimal

• 2013 Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 03:30:08 AM »
Speaking of S8 lighting, what is the wattage of the factory bulbs? .... I am guessing; dual filament 25w bulbs (2x).
~Daren
California (Nor*Cal)

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 04:49:49 AM »
Dual 35w that's why they dim at idle.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

manimal

• 2013 Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 02:17:04 PM »
Interesting. I wonder why not dual 25w bulbs <shrug> My mini's all have dual filament, single, 25w bulbs and are pretty bright.
~Daren
California (Nor*Cal)

Super 8 150

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 02:51:58 AM »
Yeah I have been reading around about the HID's, I'm not sure if I want to go that way now. I'm thinking maybe just some regular 35w bulbs with the blue tint. I'm not looking for brightness, just more of a white/blue color.

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 03:41:07 AM »
Yeah my zuma has dual 25w abs it's pretty bright. Hid is the way to go, my b&w shines for miles

dvldoc

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 12:02:53 PM »
I upgraded to the 45/45 watt standard bulbs,  They were brighter than the stock but not by much,  Ran those for about 2 years always had problems in the rain seeing with those.  Then i Upgraded to some of the new 20 watt LED bulbs, Those things are like 3 times brighter, they really light up the road.  You will still have to do the light control box modification for them.

manimal

• 2013 Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2014, 02:56:59 PM »
I upgraded to the 45/45 watt standard bulbs,  They were brighter than the stock but not by much,  Ran those for about 2 years always had problems in the rain seeing with those.  Then i Upgraded to some of the new 20 watt LED bulbs, Those things are like 3 times brighter, they really light up the road.  You will still have to do the light control box modification for them.

Any details (DIY) to share of which 20w LED bulbs you purchased, and what you had to do to get the job done successfully? We would all appreciate any insight you share with us :)
~Daren
California (Nor*Cal)

nushipwright

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2014, 06:30:02 PM »

I'd love to have some more info on which LED light you purchased, a link perhaps?
There's too many LED bulbs on the market to filter out the good stuff. loads of junk everywhere.
Also the light box mod? never heard of it, why is it needed?
Thank you!

“Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”  - Mark Twain
. mostly 2up city

manimal

• 2013 Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2014, 07:45:44 PM »
I'd love to have some more info on which LED light you purchased, a link perhaps?
There's too many LED bulbs on the market to filter out the good stuff. loads of junk everywhere.
Also the light box mod? never heard of it, why is it needed?
Thank you!

Light Box Mod is a modification to the LCM (Light Control Module); http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=12463.0
see Pimpy1's post of the specific mod, DIY
~Daren
California (Nor*Cal)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()