Author Topic: Well, my riding days are now over!  (Read 4561 times)

Mscmkr

• View Profile
Well, my riding days are now over!
« on: September 01, 2014, 03:27:05 AM »
I had my first and last crash on my bike last night. Some jerk pulled out in front of me and I clipped his bumper and went down going about 55mph. I'm incredibly lucky that I ended up with nothing but a huge amount of road rash and a banged up knee. Nothing is broken. Bit hard to move or walk today but it could be so much worse.
    Sadly, I am done with anything on two wheels. My bike is totaled, at least I think it is. And now I have to go through the BS of insurance companies and getting things payed for. I will post some pics of my bike when I can move a bit better. My hands are pretty shredded right now.
    Please everyone wear your helmets!!!! And ride as safe as you can. I will still be checking out the forum from time to time.

Mscmkr

TLRam1

• View Profile
Re: Well, my riding days are now over!
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 05:09:35 AM »
Sorry to hear about your mishap, glad you are okay.
Terry
10 Kymco People S 250
87 Yamaha Riva 200 (Sold)
Allen TX (Dallas)
cli-maxridinggear.com

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 01:30:48 PM »
Hey Mscmkr,
Your news strikes pretty close to home!
I've been following your posts for some time.
You started on a LIKE200i and moved up to a 300.....same as me.

First, I am glad you are, what? Hate to say "OK"...because you're not. But I guess it could have been a lot worse.
That is good.
The rest is not.
Well, when you feel up to it - please use your influence here to educate the rest of us with the circumstances of your off.
A banged up knee, and a lot of road rash. Shredded hands.
Geez.
If you would:
Were you wearing jeans? - and is there road abrasion damage to your lower body?
Were you wearing a (armored) heavy  textile or leather jacket? any road rash upper body?
Gloves? Simple shorty gloves, or gauntlet style with wrist straps to keep them on during an off?
Boots....feet damage?

Your feedback will add to our knowledge. Mine, certainly.
Sure, we know about these issues - but, while I always ride with my full face helmet and leather gloves and long pants and my armored hi-viz jacket fully zipped - I do not always wear the kevlar jeans, nor do I have the better gloves designed to stay on my hands in a serious 'off'. I wear my high-top work boots only some of the time.

Very sad to hear of this happening to one of our members. Truly.
But, thank you for posting this.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
first
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 02:12:55 PM »
glad to hear you are not injured too bad.
I got rear ended at a traffic light about four days ago. Glad the dufas was not going too fast or he could have broke my back.
I am 64 years old and I have never in my entire life seen so many careless drivers.
Makes me really mad.
I see carelessness and illegal acts by cagers every time I ride.
How in the hell do these morons get a drivers licenses?.
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

LidoCA

• I LIKE chinese plastic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 04:46:07 PM »
 I'm sorry to hear about your crash. It is good to hear that nothing is broken. I am now re-evaluating my gear choices. I have been thinking of getting thicker gloves, this news puts that decision on the top of the list.

Your posts have been great. Good luck with your recovery.
Steve
I have ridden well over 17 miles on my scooters.

2013 LIKE 200i LX.
2016 Yamaha SMax
2014 Yamaha Majesty
La Mirada, Ca.

big blue

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 05:34:17 PM »
So sad about your going down. Recently it's been quite warm here and there have been a few times when I've run short trips in just jeans and a shirt (with helmet and gloves of course) but in the back of my mind I haven't felt right about it. Guess it's back to my armored mesh jacket. Get well quick. :-\
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

DMblues01

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
Re: first
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2014, 06:48:24 PM »
How in the hell do these morons get a drivers licenses?.

They pass their license test because there's a testing agent sitting next to them, forcing them to pay attention to what they're doing during the test.
After that, they drive down the road with a cell-phone in one hand, and a fast-food burger in the other, using their left knee to hold the steering wheel straight!   >:(
Most drivers, these days, need a permanent baby-sitter in the car with them! Just to make them focus of actually driving!
Just my opinion.

Glad that you weren't hurt worse in the collision (I refuse to use the term 'accident' when someone pulls out without looking properly), Mscmkr. Get well soon!

Duke- 8)
Roxana, IL

Yoda is my spiritual leader.
Vader is my anger management coach!

2wheelfun

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2014, 06:52:40 PM »
I'm glad your ok, and I'm sorry that incident took away your hobby.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2014, 08:47:37 PM »
What everyone said. I am so sorry to hear about this, mscmkr. You heal up fast, you hear and do what Stig said so your crash and pain can educate the rest of us since we all are potentially NEXT! We will miss your sharp wit if you bail and nobody wants you to bail. However, what ever you ultimately decide, we are all with you.

Karl

PS: Get back on that horse and RIDE soon if that is what you want.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

arcanum70

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2014, 09:00:03 PM »
If this is seen as a derailment of the original post, I'm sorry.

First, I'm glad that you are (in the relative scheme of things) okay.

Second, this is why I always wear gloves (as well as helmet and jacket).  I'm always surprised by how many people wear a helmet and jacket religiously, but never wear gloves.
Build a man a fire and you keep him warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

Urbestfriend

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2014, 10:52:25 PM »
Mscmkr...Admire your choice.  I'm not as smart.  I've been down about 6 times. Loose Gravel, Uneven Pavement, Hit by a Deer.   The first thing to hit the ground always seems to be your head,  therefore I have 4 Helmets.   Originally had a pair of heavy leather welding gloves,  but the seams ripped on falling.  I now wear Motorcycle gloves with a Gauntlet.  Never ride without an ANSI lime yellow or orange jacket.  However because your legs are inside,  not like a motorcycle,  I haven't encountered any broken bones.  These days it is dangerous on the road.  You are always on the defensive.  I'm not young either,  will be 65 tomorrow.

Mscmkr

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2014, 11:36:46 PM »
Thanks so much everyone for all your well wishes and support. I will do a full report with pics in a few days. I will say, I'm an IDIOT for riding with no protection except for a helmet and I am paying for it right now. I didn't hit my head at all. Not even a scuff on my helmet. Don't ask me how but I didn't. I was completely awake and aware of the whole crash as it was happening. Including seeing my bike flying up about 5 feet in the air while spinning around then crashing to the ground. It sounded pretty cool. Didn't feel that way though.
    My left handle bar is completely bent down and theres a hole  in the front below the headlight and I believe the headset where the bars connect is broken right in two. Funny, I feel bad for my bike. He hardly got to be a bike. Just bought it a couple months ago.
    I will be around the forum. The people here are just the best. I enjoy checking things out to much to leave. Now wish me luck, I'm about to go take my first shower since the crash and change my bandages. Not looking forward to it but I really stink right now.

Please ride safe every, and wear your protection every time, mscmkr

Calothrix

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2014, 01:47:57 AM »
I think for most of us on two wheels it is always in the back of our mind that it is just a matter of time before something like this will happen. :-[  So, just have to be vigilant, drive defensively and wear your protective gear.  Hope you recover quickly Mscmkr!

kingkymco125

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2014, 02:07:48 AM »
I am so sorry this happened to you. I hope one day soon you do get back on the saddle and ride again.
David M.  Las Vegas, Nevada
New 2012 Kymco Agility 125cc bike

arcanum70

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2014, 03:27:30 AM »
I can't say get back on the horse, or to stay off of it.  Thank God and knock wood, I haven't had a crash yet (many close calls though).  But, I only have a collective 18 years riding.  I know that it is going to happen, and your post is a sobering reminder.  I can say this though.  Whether you ultimately change your mind and decide to ride again, or whether you decide to stand firm and not...you are handling this well, and I applaud you for that.
Build a man a fire and you keep him warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()