Author Topic: Rust in Tank...Ready to send this bike to the scrap yard!  (Read 1511 times)

bubbarowley

• View Profile
Rust in Tank...Ready to send this bike to the scrap yard!
« on: August 30, 2014, 04:41:38 AM »
After 3 years of cleaning the carbs every 3 months I realized I had rust in the tank. I've probably spent a cumulative total of $175 in chemicals and sealers and what not in trying to clean and reline my tank. Just spent $160 getting a used one from ebay and get it opened up and it has a bunch of gas varnish and black tar junk, and what appears to be...RUST! I spent almost $50 bucks in stuff to hopefully clean the varnish and junk out of it. Lol, because of the rust in the tank issue, this bike has left me stranded more than once and I'm ready to cut my loses with this bike and send it to the bike bone yard. But i like this bike which is why I haven't.

Question 1.
Does bad dried out gas sometimes look like rust? Or does this new tank have varnish and rust?

Question 2.
If it's not rust, what's the best way to clean this sludge out without hurting the factory coating on the inside of the tank?
(I put a quart of denatured alcohol and filled it to the brim with cheap gas that has up to 10% ethonal in it and am letting it soak, but before that, I put bb's and rubbing alcohol(cuz it's cheap) and tried to swirl it around gently so the bb's wouldn't hurt the finish on the inside cuz I really don't want to have to try and reseal this tank)

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
Re: Rust in Tank...Ready to send this bike to the scrap yard!
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 10:22:59 PM »
50 years ago I had rust in my gas tank, I brought it in to a rad and gas tank repair shop, and they cleaned and coated the tank so it was better than new, and it cost about 1/2 of a new tank at that time

bubbarowley

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 01:24:04 AM »
But did you have to repaint the outside of the tank? Cuz I took my first tank to a rad shop and that's what they said. I'd have to repaint it. Which at this point I think would be ok.

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 01:59:52 AM »
m tank was out of a 1 ton truck,

max oradea

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 03:06:25 AM »
if you are on the american continent then you are in luck. google rusteco it is good stuff. you can even send your tank in. they will put the whole tank in there secret solution which only eats rust and nothing else, your outside paint will be untouched.

bubbarowley

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2014, 02:46:08 PM »
So I took my tank down to a radiator shop and they said $65-$116 to clean and seal the inside of the tank and I won't have to repaint the exterior. Crossing my fingers everything goes well!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2014, 03:30:59 PM »
How much is a new tank?
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Hairy Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2014, 10:20:06 AM »
About $212.00 according to Kymco parts monster. Good call Zed  ;)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 10:22:24 AM by Hairy Bob »
Damn the torpedoes .. full steam ahead !

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()