Author Topic: Stalled while driving on the 59th st bridge nyc  (Read 3329 times)

Scootbliss

• View Profile
Stalled while driving on the 59th st bridge nyc
« on: August 29, 2014, 08:57:38 PM »
Oh boy. Hope someone can make some suggestions.
In May 2014, I purchased a 2013 kymco like 200i from a dealer who is no longer selling any scooters. At first I was hesitant since I'd have to find another dealer but I took my chances because kymco is supposed to be reliable.
I bought it with zero miles and it now has 1055 miles on it. It's my daily commuter.
About an hour ago, I was coasting - yes coasting, as I was coming over the the 59th street bridge. I was not going fast at all since the traffic was pretty thick. I usually do about 50.  Anyway, the scooter just cut off without warning or noise. At the foot of the bridge, there's a light and lucky for me, it turned red. I was able to keep coasting and get it to the side and restart it by turning the key to the off position and then turning it on. It happened quickly. 
A little scary to say the least.  I live about 2 miles from where this happened so as soon as it started up, I decided to go for it and get it home.
Now what???? Not sure where to start since it's been flawless.
Any suggestions? Thank you all in advance.
By the way, 3/4 full tank of gas.

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
Re: Stalled while driving on the 59th st bridge nyc
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 09:21:41 PM »
Oh boy. Hope someone can make some suggestions.
In May 2014, I purchased a 2013 kymco like 200i from a dealer who is no longer selling any scooters. At first I was hesitant since I'd have to find another dealer but I took my chances because kymco is supposed to be reliable.
I bought it with zero miles and it now has 1055 miles on it. It's my daily commuter.
About an hour ago, I was coasting - yes coasting, as I was coming over the the 59th street bridge. I was not going fast at all since the traffic was pretty thick. I usually do about 50.  Anyway, the scooter just cut off without warning or noise. At the foot of the bridge, there's a light and lucky for me, it turned red. I was able to keep coasting and get it to the side and restart it by turning the key to the off position and then turning it on. It happened quickly. 
A little scary to say the least.  I live about 2 miles from where this happened so as soon as it started up, I decided to go for it and get it home.
Now what???? Not sure where to start since it's been flawless.
Any suggestions? Thank you all in advance.
By the way, 3/4 full tank of gas.

Have you done the first valve adjustment service? Pretty important to get those valves set early.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

2wheelfun

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 09:25:38 PM »
There's an idle adjustment screw that may need to be adjusted upward on the throttle body. Maybe it's a few 100 rpms too low.

Scootbliss

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 10:02:09 PM »
B&L - I've been thinking about that and saw a YouTube video of that the other day. Thanks for the reminder.
2wheel - if I take care of the valve, maybe the idle adjustment won't have to be tweaked but I'll keep that in mind.

The other thing is that I was probably coasting at 5 mph and I know on manual scoots I've coasted in neutral. I'm thinking at 5 mph, the auto clutch must've engaged (or disengaged) and sent a shut off signal.

Right  now it's parked and since I'm not going to be around it again until Wednesday, I have time to find a shop and get it to them then to check the valve and give it a look.  Intermittent issues are a pain.

I'll post again to let folks know progress/outcome.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 12:39:51 PM »
I would give the battery and ground connections a quick look.
And if it seems to struggle a little bit at idle....a new Iridium spark plug could smooth that out.
Cutting out while under throttle is a very different symptom than shutting off with throttle closed. I think you are saying that you were cruising with open throttle when it died.....geez, that's a spooky situation in NYC bridge traffic!
(totally off topic...your post title made me think , first, of Simon & Garfunkle)
Hope you get it sorted!!!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014, 01:27:15 PM »

(totally off topic...your post title made me think , first, of Simon & Garfunkle)
Hope you get it sorted!!!
Stig

First thing I thought when I saw the thread.
No biggie "slow down you move to fast".....

You're an old fart ;)

Be Big,
AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

Scootbliss

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2014, 07:10:08 PM »
I'm gonna have to find that S&G song! I now have the tune in my head!  :)

Stig - the throttle was not open since I was coasting as opposed to cruising. I guess that puppy always needs a little gas ..... Oops.

When I got home the first thing I did was check the battery connections and it was very tight.

I will look into the spark plug and keep the throttle open when riding.

Thanks for replying - I'm taking it all in

"You gotta make the morning last....."

2wheelfun

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2014, 07:50:29 PM »
Turn the idle up, some times it is that simple of a solution. When coasting you reduce the gas level to an idle yet the clutch still engaged keeps the engine rpms reving higher and at that moment it's starved for fuel and will die. It may just take a 50/100 rpm increase but that increase should fix your problem.......proper way is to check idle with a tachometer and compare to factory specs. A lot of folks don't have a tachometer laying around. Does the idle sound too low?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 10:45:34 PM by 2wheelfun »

Scootbliss

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2014, 10:41:49 AM »
2wheelfun, yes thank you and also after reading Stig's reply it hit me that it always needs a little gas.

Off to a little tangent, I used ride a 2003 Bajaj Cheetak which was 4T manual that I loved and would kick it into neutral when coasting.  Never stalled. It's been awhile since I'm back to an auto scoot (1st one was a 1999 2T Aprilia Scarabeo - maybe I should update profile!) and my last one was a 2009 Agility 125. I don't think I ever coasted on the autos before.  On Friday, traffic was heavy and since I'm not always a huge fan of splitting lanes (been cut off by a car once years ago) I 'coasted' right into a dead stop. But it started right away and got me home with no issues.

I am hoping to get out today for a short spin and I will get the valves checked as BettinANDlosing kindly reminded me from a local SYM dealer - Jimmy #1 ZoomScootNYC since that's the only place I believe that's near me that services scoots.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2014, 02:59:12 PM »
2wheelfun, yes thank you and also after reading Stig's reply it hit me that it always needs a little gas.

Off to a little tangent, I used ride a 2003 Bajaj Cheetak which was 4T manual that I loved and would kick it into neutral when coasting.  Never stalled. It's been awhile since I'm back to an auto scoot (1st one was a 1999 2T Aprilia Scarabeo - maybe I should update profile!) and my last one was a 2009 Agility 125. I don't think I ever coasted on the autos before.  On Friday, traffic was heavy and since I'm not always a huge fan of splitting lanes (been cut off by a car once years ago) I 'coasted' right into a dead stop. But it started right away and got me home with no issues.

I am hoping to get out today for a short spin and I will get the valves checked as BettinANDlosing kindly reminded me from a local SYM dealer - Jimmy #1 ZoomScootNYC since that's the only place I believe that's near me that services scoots.

These guys do Kymcos.
http://scooterbottega.com/
Seems like the valves would have to be crazy out of adjustment to kill an idling engine - but it is scheduled at 200 miles !
I gotta think 90% of all LIKE200i's are flying around the USA with those valves untouched! Ain't nobody getting them done at 200 miles! I know my salesman didn't say, "I'll see you in 4 days for your valve adjustment!" when I rode it off the lot. They don't want to see me again until I'm ready to buy another scooter.

And the riders aren't dying in traffic on the Bay Bridge at idle. ("60 Mins" would be talking about it....'Course, I don't watch much TV anymore. Maybe they are talking about the LIKE seats and coasting NewYorkers. ?)

Do they use real gas in NYC? You know, NYC is like the 3rd World to must of us Americans. (Well, maybe not the 3rd World - more like Mars) In the "3rd World" a lot of times there are guys on the streets selling day old bagels and funny colored 'gasoline" in pop bottles. You're not running that stuff are you? What color was the bottle?  :)

Well, one must explore various possibilities.....
Pilot Error, for instance.
(he means, did you punch the 'kill switch' while you were eating a bagel & texting coming across that NYC bridge in bumper-to-bumper traffic on your little plastic scooter?)
In any event, let us hope S & G do another freebee in The Park, and that you can get those valves checked for less than the $372 my dealer wanted. Do keep us posted.
Take it easy there, Old Silent Runner  ;)
Stig
(I saw the boys in SoCal in 1967 at the Circle Theater, with about 14 other people. So few people were there that Paul told us all to move down to the row directly in front of the stage. They also introduced Phil Spector, who was there for some reason - he was a spooky dude even in those days. He hadn't started shooting people, yet.)
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2014, 07:12:23 PM »
My 2012 Like did the same thing at around 1200 miles. I was riding down a slight grade and maintained speed while coasting. Went to throttle up at the bottom of the grade and the engine died. Pulled over and it would not start. Waited a few minutes and it started. I then rode WOT for a few miles. I now have over 8,000 miles and the issue never resurfaced. I've even tried forcing the issue by coasting down the same section of road several times and could not get the problem to come about. I just left it as a one-off issue.

Of a slightly different stall related issue if you find this issue is in conjunction with your scooter having sporadic starting problems, then check the ground wire where it attaches near the starter motor. Mine had come loose. I found myself jumping up and down on the seat to get the scooter to start. I thought it was a bad starter motor or solenod. Then one day while riding I coasted to stop at a light and the engine died. It started up after a few jumps on the seat. When I got home I removed the seat and pan and noticed a cable laying on the engine casing. It was the ground wire. Got a bolt from the hardware store and later replaced it with one Stig was kind enough to send me. With the ground wire firmly in place the scooter fires up each and ever time and no stall outs when coasting to a stop.

Scootbliss

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2014, 11:04:19 PM »
A little update - finally!

I checked the battery leads and they were fine. Brought it to a mechanic who double checked my battery and said he'd be happy to change the oil but wasn't interested in checking the valve. He was like, 'they're never out of adjustment" and of course I believe him but I decided to move on. I went  to Prospect Cycles in Brooklyn - I hesitated to go there because of traffic/distance but am really happy I went.
Sean at Prospect Cycle reassured me if I left it there for a few hours it would be cold enough for him to check the valve and adjust of needed. He  changed the oil and gear oil, checked the plug, brakes and tires. I explained what happened and he thought it sounded like it could be a little bad gas but found nothing wrong.  Mind you, I did what TroutBum did which is to try to replicate the issue in traffic again today but she ran really well and even better after getting it serviced. Idle sounds good and things are running smoothly.  Hopefully it's a one off.  I'll make sure to use better gas Stig! Hope your scoot is getting the help she deserves, I'm paying attention to your posts.
Thank you all for responding.  I appreciate it - safe scooting out there :)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2014, 12:00:10 AM »

I checked the battery leads and they were fine. Brought it to a mechanic who double checked my battery and said he'd be happy to change the oil but wasn't interested in checking the valve. He was like, 'they're never out of adjustment" and of course I believe him but I decided to move on. I went  to Prospect Cycles in Brooklyn - I hesitated to go there because of traffic/distance but am really happy I went.
Sean at Prospect Cycle reassured me if I left it there for a few hours it would be cold enough for him to check the valve and adjust of needed. He  changed the oil and gear oil, checked the plug, brakes and tires. I explained what happened and he thought it sounded like it could be a little bad gas but found nothing wrong.  Mind you, I did what TroutBum did which is to try to replicate the issue in traffic again today but she ran really well and even better after getting it serviced. Idle sounds good and things are running smoothly.  Hopefully it's a one off.  I'll make sure to use better gas Stig! Hope your scoot is getting the help she deserves, I'm paying attention to your posts.
That is really cool information on your scoot!
These LIKE's are pretty darn reliable....they're not highway fliers but they sure seem to give pretty good service even if abused a bit. Keep up with the oil and the valves and replace the tires every 7 or 8000 miles - drain the brakes every 2 yrs - and you will probably get tired of it before it gets tired of you!

Now I'm going to be nosey - where do you park it to keep it from getting lifted during the night?
And the next time you're coming across the 59th Street Bridge, hang your bagel on that grocery bag hook, stop texting and turn your cell phone camera on and shoot us some NYC scooterin' pictures!
I've got the cows and fields on a scoot pix covered - but would sure love to see this scooter doing its stuff in the the Big Apple !
That just seems so cool..... a LIKE cruising along Bleeker Street. (except it's spelled Bleecker St. for some reason)
Here's a picture of me and an old girl friend - pointing to the best scooter shop in the Village.

BTW--- rode the LIKE in the driving rains Tuesday to work and back. Goofy thing, again,  ran like a Swiss BMW - but then I wasn't doddering along looking for flat spots. Sure hope it gets sick when I take it to the shop....whenever that is.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2014, 01:48:56 AM »

That's the most retreated mechanic ever. The valves on the gy6 bikes are almost always off in the first service. They set them lose from the factory, better lose than tight breaking in. Just wow tho, what a lazy dude...... What a shame...
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

Scootbliss

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2014, 01:38:10 AM »
BettinANDlosing - Agreed - that's why I went to Prospect Cycles even though I felt too lazy LOL! Ran better than ever today too.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()