Author Topic: Best scooter commercial music  (Read 901 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Best scooter commercial music
« on: August 26, 2014, 11:56:27 PM »
My favorite scooter commercial music....
1985 scooter commercial featuring Lou Reed and his "Walk On The Wild Side" (Velvet Underground ...where so many thought Andy Warhol was their guitarist!)
This is, to my little mind, an amazing bit of salesmanship: To convince the conservative Honda execs to run with this commercial and this music. I have to think they never heard the whole song, just the sax and choir. It is, even today, a pretty 'different' song.

Honda is reported to have said, after screening the commercial: " We need to be THAT scooter company!"

Sadly, Honda couldn't sell American young people on the coolness of scooters. Still can't.

(a bit of Velvet Underground lore:"Velvet Underground sold 30,000 albums - but those 30,000 buyers started a band!")
Stig
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=lDLAM48TmJQ
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

houndguy

• Fear the mangy mutt!
  • Your idiotism amuses me.
    • View Profile
    • Scooter Revolution!
Re: Best scooter commercial music
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 04:44:27 PM »
Still a classic song. 
Just another scooter blog - http://www.2smallerwheels.blogspot.com

kingkymco125

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 04:20:43 PM »
Stig, you are on point about this. The American public will always think of scooters as fat chicks. Sure, everybody likes them, but nobody wants to be seen with one. It is just something one does behind closed doors instead of out in public.
David M.  Las Vegas, Nevada
New 2012 Kymco Agility 125cc bike

arcanum70

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 09:22:14 PM »
Stig, you are on point about this. The American public will always think of scooters as fat chicks. Sure, everybody likes them, but nobody wants to be seen with one. It is just something one does behind closed doors instead of out in public.

I don't know.  I see a swing in the trend.  As gas prices go higher, I see more and more people on scoots where I live.  I remember when it was the people on sport bikes that were the bike world pariahs, now it's us on scooters.  But the trend is shifting.

Personally, I don't think that the companies should try to bring people in with messages of "cool".  I think that if they focus on the practicality of a scooter (cost of purchase, cost of maintenance, fuel economy, built in storage...etc) that will win both young and old.
Build a man a fire and you keep him warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()