Author Topic: Extreme gas vapor smell in house after parking my 2014 agility 50 in my garage  (Read 5507 times)

vicfromny

• View Profile
Just got my new Agility 50, and notice a very toxic gas  (oil?) smell after closing my garage door. It permeates through my house and I've had to park it outside. I thought it may be the gas cap??? Anyone else experience this and have a solution?
Thanks.

njagility

• View Profile
I'd check the fuel lines for leaks. Mine (2012) doesn't smell of gas at all when parked in a closed garage. and it shouldn't.  It's unlikely to be the gas cap, but I guess it's possible if it's defective (or not closed). I presume you didn't overfill it and spill gas which is still evaporating.

If you can't figure it out yourself, get your dealer to look at it. It could be a safety issue if you have a leak.

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
Did you recently fill up? If you did how full did you make it?
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

vicfromny

• View Profile
Just got back from the dealer. It was(is) the gas cap. The gasket is not seating properly. HMechanic changed gasket but still had same leakage when rocking the scooter around. They are going to replace my gas tank and cap completely. Problem solved,.....I hope!

vicfromny

• View Profile
 :(
Stopped by and told dealer I was bringing scoot back in cause there's still a strong gas odor in my garage. The mechanic replaced the gas tank and another gas cap,....SAME PROBLEM !!!! Mechanic said to tell dealer he should replace the bike!!!! Yeah, right....like he's gonna do that!
I'm gonna leave it with him till he fixes it,...I'm actually afraid to turn on light switch in my garage until after I air out the scooter.
I don't see any leaks. Maybe it's a bad carbuerator??? Let's wait and see. I'm gonna miss my daily rides for a bit, i guess.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
I don't understand hoe it could smell so much, and you see no leak or puddle.

Perhaps the drain screw of float bowl is leaking. That will drip on top of the crank case, and there is a sort of well there that can hold several ounces of fuel.

I guess the dealer will sort it.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

vicfromny

• View Profile
Thanks. I recently (today) said to a friend, "could it be the carb?). How do I check this out?? Can you elaborate? Wherre is the drain screw?

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
If you remove the seat, and the well under it you will be able to see where I am talking about. Outside in the sunlight or perhaps a flashlight will help.
On the bottom of the fuel bowl (left hand side) there is a recessed screw. That simply opens to drain the float bowl. If there is a poorly cleaned out casting it will leak or perhaps it is simply loose.
Likewise the bowl itself could be loose or a poorly fitted gasket could be weeping.

In either case I would think a mechanic replacing the fuel tank would catch this. Sometimes tho we get so focused on the task at hand the we are blind to other things.
This has to be an easy fix. Leaking fuel is obvious.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

vicfromny

• View Profile
Thanks for the tip. I will check it out ASAP. 

vicfromny

• View Profile
Thanks for your tip, Zombie! I removed the seat this morning while airing out the garage, and lo and behold, I got my finger wet with gas when rubbing bottom of carb. I will point this out to the dealer/mechanic on Monday when I bring it in. The odor is not coming from the gas cap after all.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
I'm glad you found it.
Not to add worry to the trouble you already have but riding with a fuel leak is less than a good idea. If you cannot trailer the bike there I would at least consider bringing a small Co2 fire extinguisher., and keep an eye open.
I've had a couple close calls myself. Burning bikes stink!

The moped learner

• View Profile
Extreme gas vapor smell in house after parking my 2014 agility 50 in my garage
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2014, 02:53:25 AM »
Burning zombies stink too! 😉

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
I'm surprised the dealer just jumped to replacing the tank before checking the easy stuff out LOL. It takes like 5 minutes to check the carb and lines. I guess they like doing lots of unnecessary work, did i mention Kymco pays very little for warranty labor... You should pop your carb out instead of risking a fire, i know you have a warranty but its really easy to get the carb out and you'll learn a little too. If its on the bottom of the carb itself zombie said it first, loose drain screw or lose float bowl both very easy to fix.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

vicfromny

• View Profile
Thanks for the replys. Guess what!?? Yesterday I remember hitting a small pothole while riding, and put scooter away for the night.....NOW THERE IS NO GAS SMELL in garage or house this morning.  !!!!!!!! WTF? Something in carb maybe (float?) was stuck?? I don't know now,....so I'll wait and see after next ride. I also think I will check out the carb and lines myself since I am mechanichally declined ,oops! I mean inclined.

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
   your house should be sealed from the garage,  when the door is shut, if not check it out! your life is in the balance,

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()