Author Topic: battery charge  (Read 1136 times)

jayocampo88

• View Profile
battery charge
« on: August 22, 2014, 06:27:35 PM »
What does the GV have?
Is it an alternator, magneto, or what?
Mine keeps draining the battery and I can't get it started the day after....

Any thoughts?

MaryK

• View Profile
Re: battery charge
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 11:46:38 PM »
The GV250 has a good charging system, so the 1 st thing is to get the battery checked.
Use a battery tender and charge the battery fully.
Measure the voltage at the battery with the key off.  It should read 12.5 volts
With the meter attached to the battery, turn on the ignition switch and monitor the voltage.  It should drop to about 11.5 v.
and not drop much more.

Still monitoring the voltage,  try to start the engine. If the voltage drops to below 10 v , the battery is bad.

And if the earlier values are low, the battery is probably bad.

You can have a garage or auto parts store make a "load test" on the battery instead, but you need the battery to be fully charged.

The usual rule of thumb, is that if you have a problem and the battery is more than 3 years old, get a new battery.

It is the easiest fix, but it may not be the problem, so you have to test it.

scoot safely,

« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 11:49:08 PM by MaryK »
New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 05:12:55 AM »
To answer the first part, all scooters have stators. He's right I would suspect the battery first, how old is it? Usually only get about two years outta them. If the battery checks out run the scooter and test the charging voltage with a volt meter, it should be about 13v at idle and over 13.5v revved up. The voltage regulator can go bad after a while there's a funky test in the service manual too see if its good.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

mi wii

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 04:46:07 AM »
I usually get 12 to 18 months out of a battery.
Just recently my charging system went bad and it ended up being the stator had gone bad.
It was approximately 18,000 miles.

jayocampo88

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 04:21:01 AM »
Sorry, I've been busy. I just got back on the forum.
well, I'm not sure what it was, but it might of very well been the battery or the alarm system I had installed. Once I unplugged the alarm, and recharged the battery, it has been a good 2 months without worrying about the battery.
The first was bad, not sure how old, so I bought a new one.  That one lasted a week.  Turns out it came with a bad cell from the factory.

**knock on wood** the problem is OVER

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()