Author Topic: Thinking about getting another Xciting 250  (Read 1374 times)

slunkmonky

• View Profile
Thinking about getting another Xciting 250
« on: August 15, 2014, 12:30:48 AM »
I havent' paid attention to Kymco since I sold mine in 2012. I was wondering if a 2010 Xciting 250 ri was a good buy. I had an 06 x250 so it was carbed, not EFI. Also, my scooter was 430 lbs and this one appears to be 407. I was wondering if anybody know of any notable differences from '6 to '10.

I've been riding my 1100 Yamaha Classic for the last 16 months and I wish I kept the scooter to have as a backup for when I need service or just to enjoy a lighter ride when my body is sore or there's some weather. I've been looking at a Honda PCX 150, Kymco 250 or if I find a good used deal, maybe a burgman 400.

Please respond to whichever of these things you have an opinion on, especially one backed by real world experience.

1. Expensive repairs. I had a common issue on my xciting,, air intake cracked. I had to brake against the engine a few times before I'd kill it at lights while I was driving it (yes, should have parked it until repairs) so I racked up an additional bill for a new belt that I burned out.  Are there known expensive or common repairs on the 2010 250 ri?

2. Fuel economy/pep. Mine was 63 like a clock work and it was easy to pull away from traffic under 50 mph. Still so? Better with injection? Worse?

3. Resale. I had to take less than I wanted for my 250 and it took a while to sell. It wasn't too bad I guess. But is a good opinion about Kymco growing? Bad? Better or worse for being a known brand since then?

4. Ease of DIY repairs? I feel like if I could go back and be less intimidated by mechanical work I'd have researched that air intake and done it myself. It was my only vehicle so I used a shop to get it done right the first time. Are these pretty easy to work on? Parts easy to get? Manuals?

5. Longevity. How many miles are people posting on their 2010's? I took my 06' from about 2500 miles to 7500 and had that one age related repair, but it went to the next owner as a good runner.

6. Has there been any really dissapointing aspect to owning it you've experienced. My one repair and hard time selling it were my only complaints. The fit and finish compared to a Honda reflex left a lot to be desired, but that much I forgive when I never really bought it to look cool anyway and the reflex was too short for me. I loved getting a weekload of groceries with a case of beer and still having some room. =)
Kymco xciting 250 '06

KymGuy77

• View Profile
Re: Thinking about getting another Xciting 250
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 05:24:53 AM »
I would say go for it.  Very nice bike overall.  My biggest gripe is the lack of support online.  As you can see here, it's dead.  No replies to simple questions for weeks and there must be only 4 people or so that have these bikes in the United States.  I've found no one that stocks parts (local or online) and my local Kymco dealer will only promise that they will order parts and it might take between a week and 4 months.  Seriously, that's what they told me. 

I upgraded to the Kymco after owning a Chinese 150 scooter and I will say it's so much easier to find information and parts for the Chinese bike which is really sad.

Again though, I would still recommend an Xciting 250.  I absolutely love mine.  Kinda a poor man's Tmax.  Lol

Oh, and yup, resell seems to stink on these.  I got mine dirt cheap but hey, that's a good thing when you're buying one.

arcanum70

• View Profile
Re: Thinking about getting another Xciting 250
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 11:07:19 PM »
I have a xciting 250 that I bought a little over a month ago, and yes, parts are hard to find (but not impossible).  I have to say that I LOVE this bike.  Is it underpowered...yup.  Is it heavy...yup.  But, it has character.  Little things (there are two front vents on either side of the headlight, slightly below it...I don't know why, but I absolutely LOVE those two vents), my speedo is WAY off, but the GPS helped me verify that basically if I take what it is showing on the KPH side and divide it by two, I have my MPH (60 kph equals 30 mph).  All of these things make this a fun bike.  I thought I was going to have buyers remorse, but nope...again...LOVE THIS BIKE!!!
Build a man a fire and you keep him warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()