Author Topic: Hesitation during hard aceleration  (Read 10138 times)

cuse309

• View Profile
Hesitation during hard aceleration
« on: August 12, 2014, 09:10:14 PM »
I just purchased a used 2012 Downtown 300i with 3400 miles on it. I love this bike. I's my first experience with any kind of motorized bike. I notice that during accelerating from a stop that it hesitates between 20-30 mph, then runs smoothly after that. It also seems to hesitate if I'm cruising at any speed, and then try to accelerate quickly. This may be futile, but I'll try and spell out how it sounds during acceleration. Vroooooooo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oooooooooom
Any ideas?

Adept

• Empaticus Maximus
    • View Profile
Re: Hesitation during hard aceleration
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 06:35:30 AM »
First of all I would change the spark plug to NGK CR7EIX or CR8EIX.
As I red your post, I would think some variator cleanging, clutch cleaning (with sandpaper!!)...

But wait for the others to write some...

I have a barely used (200km)14gr Dr Pulley rollers to SELL!! Send a PM if you interested in...

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
IF
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 01:19:45 PM »
the hesitation is slight, it might be normal.
Some DT and GT owners install sliders to eliminate this.
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

kfc.android

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 03:08:14 PM »
First of all I would change the spark plug to NGK CR7EIX or CR8EIX.
As I red your post, I would think some variator cleanging, clutch cleaning (with sandpaper!!)...

But wait for the others to write some...

Agree with Adept, maybe you want to take a look at the belt, and perhaps transmission clean up :)

mnpugdog

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 05:41:19 PM »
I have the same issue .the shop hooked it up to the computer and found nothing. I am now wondering if it could be the injector.  I am going to put in sliders and see if that atleast evens thngs out a little. Using non-ethynol gas has helped some.

cuse309

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 07:44:12 PM »
I have the same issue .the shop hooked it up to the computer and found nothing. I am now wondering if it could be the injector.  I am going to put in sliders and see if that atleast evens thngs out a little. Using non-ethynol gas has helped some.
Forgive me, as I'm new to all of this, but whar are sliders, and what do they do? I'm going to start as low tech as possible, and add some chevron with techron fuel system cleaner, and see if that helps. I'll update later...

kfc.android

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 08:47:55 PM »
sliders normally refers to slider rollers (Dr. Pulley has good reputation in terms of sliders)
I would use seafoam than other brand/formula, all my car/mc are fine with seafoam for several years.

windwheeler

• View Profile
    • WindStrom windshields
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2014, 01:57:13 AM »
Hey guys, anybody found an answer in the meantime?  Yes it is there on "some" Downtowns, but what is the difference between them and what causes it? The D/T's don't have knock-sensors, or do they? Because it feels exactly like that, retarding of ignition and then advancing back to normal again.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 01:59:48 AM by windwheeler »

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 02:17:35 AM »
Stig has been fighting that for a few months now. He bought a Honda because of that same issue.
There is no "knock" sensor but everything in his, and others suggest a TPS or sensor issue. It could all come down to code in the ECU.

Try the SeaFoam, and read up here. It could also be a simple air leak in the manifold or coupler. Try tightening everything you can get your mitts on, and see.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

windwheeler

• View Profile
    • WindStrom windshields
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2014, 02:36:59 AM »
Thanks Zombie,
I think I have found the answer.  A UK fellow has posted the following (below), and it makes a LOT of sense to me! I had a similar issue on a BMW R1100GS, and also there the TPS/MAP setup was crucial for smooth running  I just need to find that sensor on the D/T where it is located and do what he did.

credit goes to "jimmyuk" with post Re Downtown 300i:  Flat spot/hesitancy/surging at 4500/5500 rpm

>>>>start extract of copy<<<<
Anyway after checking all connections and the injector etc....it became apparent that one of these sensors....the MAP sensor(the one with the locking tab on it) had a direct effect on the running of the bike depending on its position.It can be rotated through 180% more or less.I reset this position to the maximum engine speed obtainable (ticking over).
Put the bike back together and tried it out.......Well i cannot believe the transformation it has now got a beautifully linear throttle response all the way to 6k were theres a tiny bit of a flat spot and then continues as it should.
Absolutely NO trace of the hesitancy/surging at the 4500/5500 range and has restored my faith in the machine.
>>>>end of copy<<<<
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 02:45:51 AM by windwheeler »

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2014, 04:53:43 AM »
It's a promising lead. I hope it sorts out your issue, and thank you ever so much for sharing it.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

RubenC

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2014, 03:59:41 AM »
Check your spark plug wire
From the Great Nation called Texas. Oops I mean the Great State called Texas

windwheeler

• View Profile
    • WindStrom windshields
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2014, 01:29:56 PM »
RESOLVED (at least 95%)

I want to make sure folks understand some Downtowns have this problem, some don't  No, it is not as simple as a faulty spark plug wire, or replacing roller weights, or any other minor defect.  It has to do with the mapping of "some D/T's" of the fuel injection during the process of acceleration in relation to throttle position. 
D/T owner "enslin" who posted on the same topic in another thread messaged me back that they received a new computer from KYMCO under warranty and apparently that resolved it. However, below is a hint how to minimize the surging/hesitation/flat spot characteristics.

I do not have the time today to write a long essay, but in principal the British fellow "jimmyuk" I quoted above is right, the MAP sensor position makes a huge difference. On top of that, the TPS sensor position has also an influence.
After about 6 hrs of extensive adjusting and on-road "testing" I have found (at least for this D/T) a setting that works very well, MUCH BETTER than it was, about 95% perfect, and very tolerable now.

You can find pictures on-line of the MAP sensor e.g. in the service manual, it sits right atop the air intake assembly with a metal locking tab and one Phillips screw. In the first step turn the MAP sensor around in small increments while the engine is running until you reach the highest idle rpm. My best position is about 11o'clock of the wires coming into the MAP sensor (looking from the left side of the scooter into the engine compartment), different from 1-o'clock where it was originally.  Eventually the computer will lower the high rpm to an acceptable idle rpm.  Take it for a test ride (just pop the seat on the scooter to make it easy) and try. Test different positions of the MAP and make notes or pictures what you feel so you can go back. This should make a noticeable difference already.

If it is getting better but not enough, the next step is to go to the richer side of the setting of the TPS, still in factory specs. But that is another chapter...
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 02:22:25 PM by windwheeler »

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2014, 10:26:13 PM »
You're the MAN !

donjack

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2014, 09:27:56 AM »
I can vouch for the "jimmyuk" solution, when I got my dt I had the same problem, found his post and the problem was gone!! Although it took a couple of attempts, I ended up rotating my map sensor about 180 degrees, my main problem was that I forgot to do the 'tps' reset, after that it was like a new scoot!!
Cheers,
Don.
Why Ride 1 Mile When 10 Will Do!!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()