Author Topic: Should scooter crank over with killswitch engaged  (Read 4957 times)

Chris0381

• View Profile
Should scooter crank over with killswitch engaged
« on: August 12, 2014, 04:17:43 PM »
Almost time to go to work but want to ask if the scooter should at least crank over with killswitch engaged. I thought it did when I first got the scooter. Now when the killswitch is engaged I get nothing at all. Obviously I have the brakes engaged too and still no crank and key in on position.

Also, is there any safety switches built with the kickstand in mind ?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 04:25:32 PM by Chris0381 »
2013 Super 8 50cc 2T Air Cooled Mfg'd 2012
Stock pipe derestriction
Smooth Boss
6.5gm Dr Pulley sliders
Malossi Torsion Controller
Malossi Fly Clutch- yellow springs
Polini Variator
#95 Main Jet
Purple Malossi Contra Spring
42 MPH on the flats with the wind

msolok

• View Profile
Re: Should scooter crank over with killswitch engaged
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 09:47:40 PM »
Almost time to go to work but want to ask if the scooter should at least crank over with killswitch engaged. I thought it did when I first got the scooter. Now when the killswitch is engaged I get nothing at all. Obviously I have the brakes engaged too and still no crank and key in on position.

Also, is there any safety switches built with the kickstand in mind ?

The purpose of the kill switch is to kill the engine. While the kill switch is on the engine will not work. The engine should not turn over while the kill switch is engaged. If your engine does there is a problem with the kill switch.

As for a side stand kill switch, it depends on what scooter you have. Some do and some don't.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 10:37:49 PM »
I have a different finding with my scoot...and have heard the same thing from other Kymco owners  ---
My scooter will happily turn over with the kill switch turned to the "kill" position...and I swear sometimes it actually fires for an instant - but it will not start.
This is why this switch is such a fooler - it probably will shut down your scoot if running - which is what it is made to do  - but it almost lets it start - which makes you NOT look at it when trying to start your scooter after you've mistakenly kicked the switch to "kill". You think it is something else because it is turning over and 'almost' starting.
But, as long as your scoot is working fine - well, no clue here why your switch is acting differently than it used to.
Stig
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 01:12:09 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

gn2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 10:50:27 PM »
Kill switches usually disable the ignition but do not affect the starter circuit.
Normally the starter will crank the engine with the kill switch in either position.
The brake lever and sidestand safety switches should stop the starter from cranking, so if your starter no cranky, check those switches first.

MaryK

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 11:19:17 PM »
what GN2 said !

scoot safely,
New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

Chris0381

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 12:25:10 AM »
I went through the service manual today and no mention of the kill switch really, can't figure what I did to it or if it may cause a future no start condition. May take off the panels and have a look around. I remember once trying to get the scooter started but it would just keep cranking until I disengaged the kill switch. Maybe a signal isn't going to the starter relay or from the relay.

The clock is dead and now the killswitch flakey on a 4 month old scooter Hmmmm. I'm thinking what next at the worst possible time.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 12:33:39 AM by Chris0381 »
Stock pipe derestriction
Smooth Boss
6.5gm Dr Pulley sliders
Polini Variator
#95 Main Jet

bucray

• forever young
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 02:46:25 PM »
On my 13 Gti300, motor doesn't turn over, and, kickstand kills motor.

ninja

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 05:15:35 PM »
When my kill switch is on, the starter is disengaged;same for every motorcycle/scooter I've ever owned.
2013 Super8 150

gn2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 05:42:17 PM »
Very strange, I've just checked my Forza and yes, the kill switch does disable the fuel injection, the starter and the ignition.
So it looks like I'm a bit out of date  :-[

mrbios

• 2005 Kymco Grandvista 250cc
  • Just crusing along on my 2005 GV250
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2014, 05:46:56 AM »
My 2005 GV250 cranks even if the side stand is down and the kill switch is off.  Both ground the ignition but everything else functions.  Happens all the time I for the kill switch and wonder why the motor is turning over but not starting.  Oops kill sw, oppos side stand is not up.

PaulC

Chris0381

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2014, 11:01:40 AM »
I guess one way of looking at it is if you starter can still crank with killswitch engaged, there is chance of burning something out overcranking it.
Stock pipe derestriction
Smooth Boss
6.5gm Dr Pulley sliders
Polini Variator
#95 Main Jet

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2014, 11:23:24 AM »
It depends on what bike, most will crank with it killed including the like 50 (I just set one up yesterday cranks fine killed). No side stand kill switch on the smaller bikes but most >250cc have them. Does your bike fire right up with the switch off?
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

Chris0381

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2014, 01:03:24 PM »
It depends on what bike, most will crank with it killed including the like 50 (I just set one up yesterday cranks fine killed). No side stand kill switch on the smaller bikes but most >250cc have them. Does your bike fire right up with the switch off?

Right now the bike fires up with the slightest touch of the button when completely cold. So I shouldnt be complaining but I'm also baffled as to the change that occurred and loss of clock power. But hey if it starts  up it starts up.
Stock pipe derestriction
Smooth Boss
6.5gm Dr Pulley sliders
Polini Variator
#95 Main Jet

mrbios

• 2005 Kymco Grandvista 250cc
  • Just crusing along on my 2005 GV250
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2014, 07:19:28 PM »
I guess one way of looking at it is if you starter can still crank with killswitch engaged, there is chance of burning something out overcranking it.

That is user error.  I gave a person with a Dodge Avenger a jump but something else was wrong.  It cranked but never tried to start.  I told the person several times - STOP

a week later....

My neighbor was cranking and cranking and cranking an old diesel dump truck that he let sit for 2 years without starting.  It runs 2 huge 12v batteries in series to make 24v.  STOP you'll burn up the starter.  Fix the issue, let the starter cool down, shoot some starting fluid and try again.  He did a few hours later and it started in a giant nasty TOXIC cloud of blue and black smoke.

Starters draw a LOT of power!  Remember - in the case of a motorcycle or manual transmission car / truck - it easily has enough power to move the entire vehicle - if started in gear!

« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 07:22:34 PM by mrbios »
PaulC

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()