Author Topic: STIG- new parts SOLVED~!  (Read 35047 times)

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
Re: STIG- new parts report
« Reply #105 on: September 25, 2014, 05:58:39 PM »
Update Sept 24, 2014:
I will be riding my LIKE 200i across town to the dealer for the service tech to check on Sept 26.
They phoned me to tell me that they have rec'd the KYMCO EFI scanner tool from Kymco USA.
Stig

Hopefully you're on your way to having the Like fixed and running right. Thanks for keeping us in the loop. I'm curious what they'll find.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 26, 2014, 02:18:16 AM »
I understand his point on small /air cooled engines.
FI engines rely on engine temp, as much as every other sensor to deliver the correct charge. Riding at speed creates heat, and the ECU delivers more fuel to compensate. When you throttle down you need less fuel but the heat soak effect takes hold, and the ECU continues the rich cycles.
If it happens in a cold/cool engine at initial take off my GUESS is it is a simple harmonic issue where there is an out of balance issue at a particular rpm. All engines have this harmonic issue to some degree.
Just a guess but perhaps an injector one to two sizes up can compensate, and not struggle at this rpm.
I think if it were pump related your problem would be at higher rpm where more fuel is consumed.

That would be my next move... Injector.

What this has to do w/ 7k miles I am un -sure.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

2wheelfun

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 26, 2014, 04:25:59 AM »
My money is on the TPS sensor, with that you need a new throttle body, ecu and map all in one.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 26, 2014, 05:38:37 AM »
He already got a whole new bike... Not too much left to do.

Might I suggest selling it. Let the prospect test ride it, and I bet ya, there will be no issues. Maybe you are just "super tuned" to the bike, and something small to anyone else is big to you.

I know... It's not in your mind, and the issue is real. At some point you have to say quit tho.

I know first hand... 5k in a 300.00 scooter. I could still throw another 5-6 hundred at it for another 10MPH, but decided to cut, and run.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 05:40:27 AM by zombie »
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 27, 2014, 09:12:21 PM »
I have seen GLACIERS move faster than this dealer! Stig found that it IS the TPS: it goes to a resistance of practically closed throttle in the 2-3.5k rpm range. Now since the dim-wit dealer has the tool to test such stuff with it remains that he will come to the same conclusion and honor the warranty for Stig. I am beginning to disappear physically from the stress of resisting the urge to get on the DT, go to this dealer and just look to see what a real pin-head looks like.....before I get arrested for trying to strangle him! Would be a nice ride though even if it would be one-way!

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 28, 2014, 04:01:55 AM »
I haven't heard anyone refer to a "one way ride" since I left NY.
Homesick again...

NeoGenesisMax

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 28, 2014, 07:36:28 AM »
I am sure glad that my people gt isnt as sh@tty as my Like was. My cheap chinese scoot had less problems than my Like did.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 28, 2014, 06:48:23 PM »
NGM, you are getting mighty close to being the recipient of a "one way ride" because of heresy on this forum! I can see all sorts of steam from ears and fire from eyes about casting any doubt on the Like. Poor ole Stig. He rode that LIke rain or shine with camera in hand to show us knuckle-draggers the rest of the world and his reward? An unresponsive dealer and nay-sayers of the model Like. OUR reward is Stig-the-fink ran off and bought a HONDA FORZA!! Oh, the humanity! Oh, well, Kymco did start in 1963 making engine units for Honda so I guess it kinda fits. Psst! Sssst! I'll tell you guys a secret about our Like we traded for wifey's GTi300 after all the dust settles from this deal! I know Stig has been off doing something besides getting riled by this so he should be back in fine form soon and we will know some peace.....

Karl

PS: Zombie, what does NY have anything to do with a "one way ride"? Oh, yeah. I get it: Gotti and Genovese and so on, right?
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 28, 2014, 07:53:50 PM »
Hey Yo!!! There are certain names you don't say out loud... Fo'get abow eet!

Psssst. Yeah!

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 06, 2014, 04:47:02 PM »
Stig,

Any news on your Like?

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 06, 2014, 07:31:57 PM »
What Trout said.....or asked......

Karl
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 06, 2014, 09:44:11 PM »
I had a conversation with the fellow who will actually be checking my LIKE with the scanner.

This is the 4th or 5th time I've  described the issue to the service department - the difference this time is the above......
He did ask if the scoot was still under warranty. It is.

This was 9 days ago.
I will give them a couple more days.
This is one of the two videos I took with the scanner....
The figure next to "TPS" is the degree the throttle is opened (from 0.0 at closed throttle). My throttle opens to about 89 degrees. The faulting in the TPS is found no higher than about 9 degrees of throttle opening. So, when the techs go blasting down the road on their test ride, well above 9 degrees of throttle - they are finding nothing but a sweet running scooter!

Stig

« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 10:11:07 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 06, 2014, 10:09:36 PM »
Could you explain what we saw?
The first thing I check on FI engines is smooth operation of the tps. This is done with the engine off, and the throttle opened manually thru the entire range. The most common fault is a "dead spot" in the TPS from wear, and vibration.

I didn't really understand what we saw in your vid. It appeared the throttle was being held steady (tps reading) but the rpm were all over the place, perhaps indicating a vacuum leak or leaking intake valve.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 10:12:18 PM by zombie »

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 06, 2014, 10:53:11 PM »
With the engine stopped, key on - there is NO issue found (ever) with the TPS as the throttle is slowly advanced.
With the engine on - the engine begins to 'hunt' if the throttle is slowly advanced and/or held steady at around 4000RPM. This is at my "cruising through the State Park" speed of a steady 23-25mph. This is where it first showed up - and basically where it shows up again even after a long high speed run - when I go back into the park and drop down to a steady cruise it will begin to stumble again.  It can also show up around 30mph.

At least a few 1000 miles of that 7000 miles were done in that State Park.
My contention, with the scanner as proof, is that the TPS is worn out and failing right in that area of throttle advance. I could sell this scooter to a guy who would think he has a dreamy running scooter - unless he visited a park or a cemetery, or cruised his neighborhood streets.
WOT is great.
Idle is great.
Starting is quick and flawless.
Moderate acceleration is great.
Hardest acceleration is great.
55MPH cruise is great.
40MPH is great.
20-25MPH has issues.
The Kymco rep said the KYMCO EFI scanner is needed to find not the static test faults - but the actual throttle response of a running engine. And that finding no CELP codes is not unusual.

Obviously I am not going to persue this a great while longer. If the dealer tech cannot find an issue - and if KYMCO USA will not send a new throttle body as a warranty repair....I am not going to buy one. I'll keep the scoot till spring - keep it serviced in top shape, per usual - then sell it.

I'd be happy if they found anything wrong with the scooter. So far they say it's a wonder of German engineering and that it is a very clean scooter with a goofy looking seat and mirrors! (I have the orig. mirrors and seat for the new owner)
I agree.
Stig

« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 10:56:29 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 07, 2014, 01:39:58 AM »
That all makes sense except for a suspected faulty TPS. The scanner showed it holding steady voltage.
Hunting is a good word for what we heard. It COULD be the sensors are conflicting, and the ECU is "hunting" for the solution.
I'd like to see what the O2 sensor is reporting. That will tell more, ie: lean to rich spikes ect.

Has anyone had the head off to check for a leaking intake valve?
That's what it sounds like to me.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()