Author Topic: Finally got stolen  (Read 2871 times)

greagle

• View Profile
Finally got stolen
« on: August 01, 2014, 02:41:27 AM »
Had to move into a new place during mid-April. I already expected to walk out and it be gone upon renting the place. I was surprised it lasted 3 months untouched. I got home at 2pm and it was gone by 3pm. Chain cut and gone. When I noticed, I was coming out with my dog for our walk. Wasn't surprised, still took our hour walk. Called in for a Police report and 30m later they asked me to meet them in a local field.

There was my scoot, banged up and trashed. This was at 2pm in the afternoon and no one saw some people pushing my scoot out of the complex for 1/3 mile. If I had my disc lock on then it wouldn't have happened. Maybe replacing the chain is less costly, so to those that get complacent on only a chain in a public place need to hear this warning.  Police said they knew where to look because they put them in the bushes to come back later. They already broke the front panel trying to hot wire, the kick start and the ignition (screwdrivers and such to start it).

I was expecting it though. I had to move from a garaged place to street parking. You can guess the type of race I live around. It is not racist if it is true and I had planned for it. My reaction was to the effect "there ya go", and continued to walk my dog for an hour before I reported because I EXPECTED it. Disc lock would have prevented it because they couldn't push it. 3 months in and it was still there so I quit disc locking it during daylight hours (only on our last walk (dog) for the evening. Home owners pretty much safe, apartment renters beware. Indianapolis, IN be aware.

Not going to fix and re park in the same unsafe location. Rented a local Drive-up location for $70+ a month and is stored there.
Going to try to Bike it for the next 9 months until I can get away from these people.

*end PSA

The moped learner

• View Profile
Finally got stolen
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 04:20:51 PM »
Wow i live in Indiana but not in Indianapolis i live in west lafayette so scooters don't disappear often

MoToFaLcon

• I Fly....
    • View Profile
Re: Finally got stolen
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 07:01:20 PM »
I'm from indiana too. Evansville, indiana, where people clothesline you for your scooter. ;)  Scoots get stolen here alot though.  Lol
WTF, i have a Ninja 650!!

The moped learner

• View Profile
Finally got stolen
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 02:41:27 AM »
Clothesline you?

MoToFaLcon

• I Fly....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 04:22:06 AM »
Clothesline you?
Not literally but scooters do get stolen all the time here!!

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 10:12:41 AM »
I found this tidbit on cycle theft in the US. It's a few years old but provided some unexpected results.
The article breaks down the thefts by state and brands most likely to be stolen per state.

It goes as you would expect as honda, Harley, yamaha and kawasaki are the bikes to steal.
Until you get to Indiana......

http://www.motorcycle.com/insurance/top-10/top-10-states-for-motorcycle-theft.html/7

Who'd figure?

Be Big,
AMAC

Link to full article.
http://www.motorcycle.com/insurance/top-10/top-10-states-for-motorcycle-theft.html
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 10:15:10 AM by Amac1680 »
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

MoToFaLcon

• I Fly....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 06:34:22 PM »
Great article Amac.  Funny, i got hired for a new job about 9 months ago, and i was trained by some guy the first day. But after the shift was over and it was time to go home, i went out into the parking lot to get on my scooter to go home and the guy training me was standing next to his roketa and i was like, no way!!  You ride a scooter too!!!?  He was like is that your kymco (the hightest quality scooter in the motorcycle parking section)??? I was like yea!!  Then he was like hell yea, you done came up!!  I totally didnt expect my trainer to ride a scooter, i was a surprised!  But yea, it was a roketa, it looked exactly like a zuma almost, i thought it was lol!!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 06:38:00 PM by MoToFaLcon »

greagle

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2014, 03:02:01 AM »
Didn't know that, yep good article. I didn't know we were in the Top Ten. Those "people" that stole it are drifting away from this complex because they have been taken on by the complex management.

Good for them and thank you to Pangea. No more shirtless and hanging out in groups. No more unsupervised kids babysitting kids on the playground at 10pm at night and cursing and carrying on.  I guess the 'Aunties and grandma's' didn't want to jeopardize their leases. I personally saw a 75% drop of those 'people' out after the memo got out that would result in lease violations. 

I may get it fixed sooner than later, still on the watch though.  I walk my dog a lot and the kids love him. I even let them take turns holding the leash. I asked one of the kids if he needs a belt while we were walking my dog. He said 'no' and I asked why do yo let your pants fall to your thighs?  He said because it was 'cool'.

It is a cycling feature here, I wish I knew a way to help stop it.

245luigi

• Baltimore, MD, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2014, 12:53:45 PM »
I'm in BALTIMORE and I was the same. Street parking, expecting it ect. My first bike was stolen after 6 months. Found a couple weeks later. The guys were busted by the cops riding with no helmets and drug possession. Im on my second bike now, and this bad boy has lasted 1 year and 2 months.

My PSA is Kryptonite chain and Xena disk brake lock. Outside of my house I use the Kryptonite 24/7. When Im out and about I use either lock. If Im away from the bike for a while I use the Kryptonite. If its only a short bit and the bike is in a very public spot, then the disk lock (ex. grocery store, hardware store). My LIKE has not been touched since I changed to this locking system.

http://www.amazon.com/Kryptonite-999492-Black-Fahgettaboudit-Chain/dp/B001SMUB7G/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1408539158&sr=8-4&keywords=kryptonite+new+york

http://www.amazon.com/XZZ6L-Y-Disc-Lock-Alarm-Scooter-Yellow/dp/B003Y8EFRO/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1408539189&sr=8-11&keywords=xena+disc+lock
Currently:
2012 Kymco Like70
72cc Malossi BBK
Dell'Orto PHBG 19 AS Carb
52 Pilot Jet
92 Main Jet
W7 Needle, 40 Slide
2T atomizer + bushing
Tecnigas NextR Exhaust
TinyTach in Headset
2011 Kymco Like50 (stolen -> recovered)
PM's OK!

greagle

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2014, 01:04:23 AM »
http://www.amazon.com/XZZ6L-Y-Disc-Lock-Alarm-Scooter-Yellow/dp/B003Y8EFRO/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1408539189&sr=8-11&keywords=xena+disc+lock

I have that disc lock and if only I didn't become complacent that it was in a public place and it was mid-day in a busy apartment complex it wouldn't have been touched. I only put the lock on at night after the final walk for the evening with my dog.

Since the police found it, I do plan on getting it fixed. Since I have to get the ignition fixed anyway, I was thinking about doing an alarm with the ignition. I will still need to replace 3 out of 4 turn signals and get the kick start looked at because it is stripped or broken. I haven't opened her up yet to really look. It is in a storage shed down the road. The plan is to make all of this happen within the month. First step is to look at her really good and make a list on what needs replaced. I know I will definitely need a new face where the headlight is because they ripped that mother off.

Thanks in advance. And surely, I will be taking those few extra seconds every time to secure the bike at least with 2 different deterrents (Alarm and chain).
Something like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LCD-Motorcycle-Bike-Alarm-Remote-Engine-Start-Anti-theft-Security-System-Scooter-/390918940599?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5b0495a7b7&vxp=mtr

and I saw a YouTube Video: http://youtu.be/qP8Xw-avyBQ

Has anyone had any experience or suggestions for this type of thing.

Annie V

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2014, 05:10:20 PM »
I have a medium combination chain lock and a Grip-Lock.  I think the two together make it safer from thieves.  The Grip-Lock is bright yellow and is a big lock that goes around the throttle and brake, which activates the brake.  It’s also another lock that would need to be broken if stolen and it can’t be cut like a chain.  Throttle is inaccessible and brake is on when the lock is on.  It was about $60 and is easy to put on and take off. 

Also, sorry about your scooter.  Bummer.  I think the Grip-Lock prevents any attempt to steal the scooter and I bet it's a lot less expensive then an "alarm" that makes a sound.  Grip-lock is bright as a deterrent so no one is messing with your scooter.  I can't imagine how you would begin to get that thing off.   
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 05:14:19 PM by Annie V »

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2014, 08:42:09 PM »
That whole story sucks. I feel your pain deep inside.

What those thieves do not realize is they could get killed doing what they do. I raise Presa Canarios, and have set my Alpha on a local thief.
These "kids" think it's cool to get shot. They really do.
They don't think getting chewed to sh** is cool tho. By the time the sheriff's car arrived I had my dog sitting on the "kids chest, and face to face. Cop asked if my dog did that to the kid, and I said "nope. He was like that when I caught up w/ him." Cop says..."Good thing cause I'd hate to see a dog like that be impounded"
I said my thanks, and waited for the ambulance w/ the cop.

In the jail the kid admitted what he did, and got three years + 12 stitches. They normally don't stitch dog bites but there were a lot of "flaps" to be put back. All that for a lap top, and a guitar.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()