Author Topic: Stig's LIKE back from the shop  (Read 3949 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Stig's LIKE back from the shop
« on: July 27, 2014, 11:16:26 PM »
Look who's home!
Picked up my LIKE this w/e.
Dealer service manager said they "road tested it for 1/2 hour and let it run for an hour, and it ran fine."
He said, "maybe whatever it was has worked its way through the carb."
He said they were only charging me for 1/2 shop time.
$53.

Breifly:
The engine was cutting out severely for over a week, and now so often and severely , I parked it for fear of damaging the engine or myself, in traffic.
Ran 3 to 4 tanks of gas through; used different stations to fill it. Used Sea Foam (service tech said he is "not a big fan of Sea Foam") changed out the coil, lead, plug cap, plug; pulled the injector and soaked it in Techron straight; checked & cleaned all leads; replaced tank vent valve & hoses; checked wiring, fuses, switches, contacts, oils, brakes, exhaust, etc.

On the ride across town to drop it off at the shop (with son following in the break-down vehicle) it stumbled one time...and I could not get it to repeat.

After leaving the shop, and in one more ride, it stumbled one or two times on the road at 40mph within 5 mins of starting and then ran OK. The real test will be to see if it will cruise at 20mph for 1/2 hour without cutting in and out, but must wait to get to that road.

So, nothing is .....
What?

I am really leaning towards a clogged injector. It is so intermittant now, and does not seem tied to any bumps or movement.
I may go over to the wrecked LIKE in the neighborhood and see if he'll sell me the injector.

Runs so bad I park it, walk and bus to work...then a week later it runs better going to the shop.
One of the final things I did was that full strength Techron soak in a pan with the injector. Still cut out on one test ride after that. Then I parked it again.
Also, the dealer does not have the diagnostic plug-in tool from Kymco.
I will keep riding it and report back to you other LIKE owners.
I'll test what I'm capable of with a multimeter....lot to learn in that area.
This dealer back up had a lot to do with why I've moved on to a Honda. 4 dealers in the area.
If it continues to run poorly I will go down and have a chat with the owner of this mega power sports store. No other Kymco dealer around. I am not the least surpised that these guys found nothing. I explained at length the symptoms to the tech. He said, "running bad, got it."
Still under warranty.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

vespbretta

• "Be the change that you wish to see in the world."
    • View Profile
Re: Stig's LIKE back from the shop
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 09:13:26 AM »
Hey Stig,
good to see your Like back home.  :) This is a really strange mysterious case. And yes, pls keep reporting issues to the forum if occuring again.
Regarding what you wrote about your dealers service departement, I can totally understand your decision for the reliable Honda Scooter.
Unfortunately it´s everywhere the same drama with these service departments and garages all around the world...
The good thing now is, you have two beautiful cool scooters.  8)

Have fun!  :D
Cheers,
Robo

Kymco Like LX 200i white/blue 2014; FACO Rear Crash Bars; Kymco Front Crash Bar; Puig Windshield Traffic;  Shido Battery LTX9-BS LION; 13gr. Dr. Pulley sliders and sliding pieces; Throttle control; Full synth. 10W-50 Motor- & Synth Gearoil; modified Topcase; Italian Badges and Stickers

SalesbyJames

• View Profile
Re: Stig's Long Mirrors
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 12:34:28 AM »
Where did you get your mirrors?  I already replaced mine but yours look even longer.

James

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 01:12:32 AM »
Where did you get your mirrors?  I already replaced mine but yours look even longer.

James
Ebay. Italian long stemmed mirrors.
Very good quality if a littly pricey (@$75 the pair)
Not sold every month...but often.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

200i

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 01:55:47 AM »
Glad the Like is home Stig.  With your trouble, it makes we reconsider the quality of the Kymko line and the companies ability to repair. 

With that in mind what's the most mileage on a kymko in America anyone is aware of? 

Possibly we should all liquidate before 7,000 miles :-\

vespbretta

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 03:33:20 PM »
I think we should not panic because of Stig´s rare tricky troubles. There are Like´s around without problems and 12500 miles on it.
So simply ride it and have fun!  :) ;) 8)

And remember an old saying: A vehicle is only as good as it´s garage...
Cheers,
Robo

Kymco Like LX 200i white/blue 2014; FACO Rear Crash Bars; Kymco Front Crash Bar; Puig Windshield Traffic;  Shido Battery LTX9-BS LION; 13gr. Dr. Pulley sliders and sliding pieces; Throttle control; Full synth. 10W-50 Motor- & Synth Gearoil; modified Topcase; Italian Badges and Stickers

LidoCA

• I LIKE chinese plastic.
    • View Profile
Re: Stig's Long Mirrors
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 03:45:08 PM »

James

Mine are similar to Stigs mirrors. I got them on eBay. Motorcycle shop in England. $50.00 for the pair. Its the $30.00 shipping that made it hard to take. Search for Vespa PX mirrors. Wade through the 1000s of cheap items that pop up.
Steve
I have ridden well over 17 miles on my scooters.

2013 LIKE 200i LX.
2016 Yamaha SMax
2014 Yamaha Majesty
La Mirada, Ca.

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 07:09:14 PM »
That sucks that they haven't resolved your issue. It does sound like a clogged injector. I'm wondering if maybe some particles from a fillip got into the system that cleaners can't dissolve and is causing the issue. May be clean out all lines an the injector and instal an inline fuel filter.

At least you have a backup with the Forza.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2014, 09:09:48 PM »
Stig! Great report on the Like. I think you are on to something with getting the injector from the wreck. My wife is really great at pinning down the causes of problems I cannot solve. Her diagnosis was something in the fuel clogging the injector! Now to the dealer: Kymco has many REQUIREMENTS  for dealers and I have found few that comply. My question is what good is a 2-year guarantee if the dealers have neither the "required" equipment nor the parts nor the techs with skills to solve the problems? We are gonna keep our Kymcos until the wheels fall off or we upgrade again, which ever comes first. We do not begrudge you and your stinking Honda! You CANNOT  go wrong with a Honda anything!

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2014, 12:42:08 AM »
Glad the Like is home Stig.  With your trouble, it makes we reconsider the quality of the Kymko line and the companies ability to repair. 

With that in mind what's the most mileage on a kymko in America anyone is aware of? 

Possibly we should all liquidate before 7,000 miles :-\

No!
This LIKE200i is a great little urban scooter!
Dead reliable for 14 months. In all kinds of weather. The dumb thing starts almost before I can get the key out of my pocket...the EFI fires that fast!
I do think a good scooter man could sort it in an hour or two. Maybe quicker if he had one of these
Kymco FI Diagnostic Tool.  {  Kymco Diagnostic Tool - 3620A-LEB2-E00  }

Let us try a few more things before we all run off to other scoots.
My Honda purchase was only partially a result of this LIKE200i's problems.
(I really did want a Honda, and a larger scoot for my wife & I to travel some Ohio back roads together)
Stig
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 01:05:47 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

vespbretta

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2014, 07:35:44 AM »
Stig,
no question about that, what YOUR dealer offered you so far as a diagnostic effort is laughable and a no go! Pardon my french, but it´s the truth.
I do think you should contact the main importer of Kymco USA and tell him that whole story and that your dealer hasn´t got a clue nor a kymco diagnostic tool but which is needed right now. They should send you some competent mechanic to your home  ;D with the diagnostic tool and/or give you at least a competent adress to go to with your scoot where they are able to fix it.
Cheers,
Robo

200i

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2014, 01:21:47 AM »
Stig, I do believe they are decent scooters, however they are really no better than their dealer support system.  I would have the same issue as your having with my local dealer if it was anything more than a mirror change.  For a few extra bucks I think Honda or Yamaha would me the way to go. Quality product and quality dealers for the most part.

So for the highest mileage American Kymko is 12,500 from my survey of actual owners...

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2014, 01:42:16 AM »
Stig, I do believe they are decent scooters, however they are really no better than their dealer support system.  I would have the same issue as your having with my local dealer if it was anything more than a mirror change.  For a few extra bucks I think Honda or Yamaha would me the way to go. Quality product and quality dealers for the most part.

So for the highest mileage American Kymko is 12,500 from my survey of actual owners...
Sadly, I have to agree.
The SYM fell to the same fate around here. A great Taiwanese scooter...great scooter! The mechanic quit a year ago and they're still selling their stock. SYM parts can be very  hard to get in the States as well.
However, there was a fellow in front of me who purchased one of those pumkin colored Kymco 300's, after looking at a Burgman and the Forza. He was trading in a big old dirty Grand Vista. I asked him where he got it serviced. He said this dealer. And that they'd always done his oil changes and a belt change, with no issues.
The Burgman was more than he wanted to spend....and the salesman told him they couldn't deal on the Honda but there was a nice deal if he took the Kymco. He did. I tried to put in a good word for the Honda....which was the same price. But he had been happy with his Grand Vista so he rode that new Kymco out of there with his grandson on the back.
These guys do sell a new Burgman, a Majesty and the Silver Wing....Ducatis, and every kind of oriental bike - and 3 wheelers.
Perhaps a $2600 LIKE just can't get their attention. It seemed like a substantial scoot to me, until I rolled around a much bigger one.
I spent many fun hours riding and looking at the guts of this LIKE...when it goes I will remember it fondly if I can get it back to perfect again.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2014, 02:30:50 AM »
The problem with a lot of dealers is they are spread too thin and it's almost like thru sell Kymcos on the side. No real expertise with them, just a quick buck selling the bike. I'm sorry to hear bad stories about dealers. And 200i, I've had customers with over 40,000km on their Kymco. One in particular stood out, it was a people 50 of all bikes and had about 45,000km!!!!!!!
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

Dolemite

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2014, 02:38:52 PM »
Congrats on your new ride Stig! I had a hard time parting with my Like after I got my Burgman 400, but it went to my dad and he paid my down payment on the Burgie. Now he's joining us on rides. I hope you find a good use, or good home for yours. I love the Forza's, I was considering one when I was looking for a bigger scoot but it was a little short on legroom for me, i'm not that tall, but I do like to stretch my legs out. The Like was perfect for that, and the Burgman is the next best thing. I have a buddy down here with a PCX and he too hates the bolt on butt-bumper on his honda and will be getting it reupholstered soon. Happy trails!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()