Author Topic: Better understanding oil  (Read 4936 times)

NeoGenesisMax

• View Profile
Re: Better understanding oil
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2014, 11:08:31 AM »
You said rotella is good. Its your job to prove yourself right its not my job to prove you wrong. Thats why I asked for facts not opinions.

tortoise

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2014, 01:59:18 PM »
Any lab's showing how Rotella stacks up?
15W40 comparisons.

TLRam1

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2014, 03:36:48 PM »
You said rotella is good. Its your job to prove yourself right its not my job to prove you wrong. Thats why I asked for facts not opinions.

Already did that, although you have to sign into the forum to pull it up the sheet, I would say the people on the forum substantiate what is on the analysis. Did you not read that?

I can turn around what you said above, "you said it's bad, it is your job to show me Rotella is no good". This is what is happening in your place of employment, you are following the majority where no one steps up as a leader and conducts your own research.

I don't believe what I read from others on this and conducted my own research to my satisfaction and I am not willing to do that to convince you. YOU should do your own research and convince yourself one way or the other and not follow your compadres.

It looks like someone above has provided some info on several heavy duty diesel oils.
Terry
10 Kymco People S 250
87 Yamaha Riva 200 (Sold)
Allen TX (Dallas)
cli-maxridinggear.com

mrmike

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2014, 04:19:23 PM »
mrmike,

Do you ever get much grime or shavings in the screen?  I got just a tiny bit if fine shavings at the first oil change, but nothing since.

Same here. A little bit first change and none for the last three. As long as the oil and filter are being changed anyway, it only takes another minute to remove and check the screen. I service mine every 1000 miles which may be overkill, but it's quick and inexpensive so I do it. The differential I will change every 2000 miles.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 04:23:23 PM by mrmike »
Blue '23 People S 150i ABS   Moto Discovery GPS bar, Shad SH33 top case, Iridium spark plug, Black reflective graphics.         

Past rides- '73 Honda 450, '00 Harley Softail Deuce, '10 Kymco People 150, '12 Kymco GTI 300, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2014, 06:27:06 PM »
This thread is feeling a little hostile. People are very protective about their oils LOL
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

NeoGenesisMax

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2014, 03:08:14 AM »
I never said it was bad. I implied that people who work with oil every day and deal with hundred of people a week and talk about it with these people know better about oil.  I never said rotella was bad. I said get something better. Also one analyasis is void of interpritation to put those figures in perspective and it involves a bunch of oil nobody uses. Also it says nothing about viscosity loss, metal wear, or pretty much any data of any relevance to your claim.  Oh and it was all deisel oil.  So no supporting fact and a lack of any regular auto oil or motorcycle oil makes for a very narrow comparison. I would like to see more please. Maybe something relevant that supports your claim. Making blind assumptions of where I work and whom I work with is pretty ignorant and so is failing to prove your point giving up and being condesending. Admitting you dont believe what others say is odd what do you gain from ignoring potentially helpful information?  You conducted your own research? What lab? What equipment did you use? Since you believe no one I assume you did the lab work alone. What data did you collect? Under what conditions were the oils tested in? What was the control?  Are these findings verified by anyone... oh wait you wouldnt believe them. i ask for proven fact not opinion. Dont make this personal. You asserted it was good and offer no fact to support this. Challenging me to prove you wrong is just shifting the burden of proof. You've offered no reason to believe you. If you have read enough then how about sharing these sources so I can be better informed. Please show me the material where industry leaders, scientists, engineers, or any credible authority says to use diesel oil in nondiesel applications. I honestly want to learn and am not looking to bicker over opinion.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 03:14:22 AM by NeoGenesisMax »

TLRam1

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2014, 03:47:50 AM »
I work at a lube shop and everyone makes fun of rotella. Do yourself a favor anf buy better than rotella.

My mistake, I took this as you saying it was bad.
Terry
10 Kymco People S 250
87 Yamaha Riva 200 (Sold)
Allen TX (Dallas)
cli-maxridinggear.com

mnpugdog

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2014, 05:27:45 AM »
that whole tread basically said use Rotella or Amsoil. There was a few others but those 2 names were clearly leading the charge.

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2014, 06:41:43 AM »
http://vfrworld.com/tex_vfr/tech/oil.htm
If you read the whole thing he is very educated in the science of oils. Scroll down to the heavy duty oils section. If you read back to my previous post I never said rotella is the best, I didn't even say that's what I personally use. I do however work with oil, and small engines on a daily basis. Listening to people is very important to me, but to use "my buddies at work that change oil say rotella sucks" as a basis to not choose a lubricant is ironically ignorant. I'm sorry you didn't like my input on the subject.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

NeoGenesisMax

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2014, 04:43:11 PM »
http://vfrworld.com/tex_vfr/tech/oil.htm
If you read the whole thing he is very educated in the science of oils. Scroll down to the heavy duty oils section. If you read back to my previous post I never said rotella is the best, I didn't even say that's what I personally use. I do however work with oil, and small engines on a daily basis. Listening to people is very important to me, but to use "my buddies at work that change oil say rotella sucks" as a basis to not choose a lubricant is ironically ignorant. I'm sorry you didn't like my input on the subject.

Now that is informative. Thank you.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()