Author Topic: ATGATT All the gear.....  (Read 8248 times)

SgtShak

• '13 Kymco GT300i / '11 Vespa Lx150 (wifes)
    • View Profile
ATGATT All the gear.....
« on: July 21, 2014, 11:00:52 PM »
How do you guys feel about this?  When I started riding cruisers years ago, the idea was to look cool.  As I graduated into more serious riding and read more publications, I really started to get into proper riding gear.  Including Hi-Viz stuff.  There is a tremendous amount of great riding gear available regardless of the climate where you live.  My shop and closet is filled with a quality variety of jackets, helmets, gloves, pants, Kevlar jeans, shoes and boots.  I wore these religiously when riding.  Especially on my last bike which was a Connie 1400. Now that a scooter is my primary (and only for the time) bike, I find myself breaking my own rules more often than not.  This, in my mind, really is stupid.  I would have to assume that it would hurt just as much going down on a scooter as it would on my Connie.  It would hurt even more knowing that I have all the proper gear at my finger tips.  I ride my scoot a lot.  Over 700 miles in it's first three weeks.  Just that sometimes I feel like an idiot all suited up on a "scooter".   I continue to live by the Hi-Viz rule but I think I bend the other rules too much too often.  How do you guys ride?   
Don't be afraid....It's only a scooter!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: ATGATT All the gear.....
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 05:06:59 AM »
Now you want MY pict eh!

Street clothes. Hands/Knees/chin get skinned up so what. We're men!

It's too hot, and humid here for anything else but I always wear a condom.

Nothing else to offer here.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 08:21:33 PM »
6'3", 250 lb. guy in hi-viz yellow armored jacket and XXXXL HJC, on a 52" wheelbase, two-tone plastic scooter w/too much chrome 'crash bars' and big bug-eyed long stemmed mirrors in the land of long-necks and F-250 dualies. I just ordered my Sliders kevlar Mom-jeans and some new gloves.
It gets 100 degrees here. Humidity to match.
I put it on every ride.
At my age - I simply do not care what most folks think.
I pulled into my dealers lot the other day on the above scoot....I joked with a fellow climbing off his massive adventurer $30K BMW: "Can I park here in the 'motorcycles only' area, or will I get beat up?!"
He said, "I saw you coming. You look pretty cute on that thing."
 "Cute?" I said, "That's the look I was after!"

Lay your gear out where you can get to it. Put any rain liners under your seat.
Put the proper stuff on ...you know what.
Last year the sales girl got fed up with me because none of the helmets she put on me fit (see above, my size!), and said, "It's only a scooter!"

I've spent a few hundred $ on my scooter stuff - and not one cent of it went back to that dealer.
We're too smart and too mature to care what the lady in the minivan behind us at the light is thinking.
Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

SgtShak

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 12:05:26 AM »
I totally agree with you.  I have actually found that it is cooler to rider with a quality vented jacket than it is to ride with a "t" shirt. I have a pair of Draggin' jeans, Sarto Jeans and a pair of Icon.  Our dimensions are a little off....I am 6'4" at 240lbs...BUT DAMN you got a big pumpkin!!!!  Continue to be safe my friend.

wkreps

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 04:02:00 PM »
He said, "I saw you coming. You look pretty cute on that thing."
"Cute?" I said, "I don't think I'm your type." ;D  :-*

Anyways,
6 foot 230lbs
full face helmet
tourmaster Transitions 3 jacket (hi vis)
Mechanix Wear Mpact3 Knuckle Protection Gloves (also have cortech DX2 gloves but pretty much gave them up cause they offered little more than sun protection.

No boots or over the ankle wear yet. Do hi top nike basketball shoes count?
No pants either (for the record zombie, I'm wearing pants just not armoured ones). I'm having a hard time reconsiling pants for the 20 minute rides I do back and forth to work. I'll spend half again as much time getting in/out of them as riding. I know, I know, ("ATG All The Time")
Wayne

SgtShak

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 05:28:24 PM »
I think we all find those exceptions....that's why we are able to ride as much as we do.  Check out the closeouts at MOTORCYCLEGEAR.COM.  When these guys run closeouts....they really are priced as closeouts.  I picked up a pair of ICON Kevlar jeans which are normally $100+ for $60.  Also scored a pair of riding shoes (sneakers) which were considered "slightly blemished" which are very comfortable, with protection and easy to walk around in when not riding.  I have bought numerous items from them and have never been disappointed or found a better price

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 10:50:12 PM »
I totally agree with you.  I have actually found that it is cooler to rider with a quality vented jacket than it is to ride with a "t" shirt. I have a pair of Draggin' jeans, Sarto Jeans and a pair of Icon.  Our dimensions are a little off....I am 6'4" at 240lbs...BUT DAMN you got a big pumpkin!!!!  Continue to be safe my friend.
Hey, easy on the noggin remarks. I have a 'long oval' head....like the better toilet seats! (Kohler has been leaving messages on my phone, for promo work I think)
Remember,the bigger the head, the bigger the hat. Mark Twain said that. Or Dylan...
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

ninja

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 03:43:55 PM »
I wear the same protective gear(full face helmet, jacket, boots, gloves) riding my Super8 scooter that I wore riding my Kawasaki Ninja motorcycle. The consequences of going down are the same regardless of what you happen to be riding or how far you're going.
2013 Super8 150

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
Re: ATGATT All the gear....GRAPHIC
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2014, 04:20:51 PM »
Foot ware.
When hits the fan the feet tend to come down.

Really IMO boots are up there with the hat.

Be Big,
AMAC

www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

ninja

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 09:43:23 PM »
I really wish I hadn't seen that.
2013 Super8 150

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2014, 10:55:42 PM »
I really wish I hadn't seen that.

Sorry. It's easy to avoid.
Boots.

Be Big,
AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

bluesin

• 2012 DT 300i
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2014, 11:59:21 AM »
Foot ware.
When hits the fan the feet tend to come down.

Really IMO boots are up there with the hat.

Be Big,
AMAC

What??? No Flip-Flops like the crotch rocket riders ( with their beater T's and shorts) ??
"There is a Fifth Dimension beyond which is known to Man. It is a Dimension as vast as Space and as timeless as Infinity......It is an area which we call 'The Twilight Zone' .   "Rod Serling

arcanum70

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2014, 02:12:22 AM »

What??? No Flip-Flops like the crotch rocket riders ( with their beater T's and shorts) ??

Where I live it's the ones on Harleys that wear the flip flops, shorts and either no shirt or a tank top.

On my 250's (both scoots) I always wear full face helmet, armored jacket, leather Icon gloves (they are vented though), and boots.  I don't wear the Kevlar pants, but I do wear jeans.  I wish I could find those jeans that my mom used to buy when I was a kid from Sears, you know the ones that you could put on, get dragged behind a truck for 50 miles and the jeans wouldn't even get a hole in them.  I think they were called 'tough skins'.
Build a man a fire and you keep him warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

houndguy

• Fear the mangy mutt!
  • Your idiotism amuses me.
    • View Profile
    • Scooter Revolution!
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2014, 04:38:41 PM »
I live in Florida.  I've got the full face helmet on.  Vented motorcycle jacket with a high vis vest over that.  Waterproof boots with oil resistant soles.  My riding gloves.

If you wreck going 30 miles an hour on a scoot, a pedal bike, a 1200cc monster, or your car the physics are the same.  The better protected you are the more likely your going to get up and ride again.

ATTGAT is not a joke. 
Just another scooter blog - http://www.2smallerwheels.blogspot.com

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2014, 10:37:56 PM »
Thanks for that BigMac! Now I remember what breakfast was.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()