Author Topic: Movie 150 Review  (Read 5671 times)

DeeAir

• View Profile
Movie 150 Review
« on: June 24, 2014, 08:18:07 PM »
Alright, its not the only post!!!

I'm just going to copy and paste the same comments I made on the other board.....
I just picked up a Movie150 about two weeks ago. Came from various motorcycles 600cc to 1100 and enjoy riding in the city on the scooter much much more. For me, its all about the scale. The size is right (not big nor too small) which makes it very agile but not underpowered in traffic. I'm 5'11 and 200lbs and acceleration never feels laboured.  A lot more convenvience in storage than I imagined a scooter this size would have. Can fit full size helmet with shield (large) and grocery bag under the seat. Great value considering it being a Kymco built in Taiwan, front and rear disc brakes, dual rear shocks and 4 valves. Yes, it is carbureted but not compromising. F.I. would probably be smoother on the throttle however the best way to descibe the carb delivery is it gives the ride a bit more of an organic feel.  Haven't taken it to the highways yet since I live in a city where 90% of driving is on trafficked roadways.  I'm very confident that I could get it to 90-95km without being on a decline or wind behind. I've riden two-up and handled just as good if not better than the motorbikes I've had. Acceleration of course is a bit more delayed compared to single rider as it will take longer to hit speed but it gets there without being a hazard in traffic.

There isn't a lot written about the Movie 150, which may be due to it being relatively new in N.A. and its conservative looks when you compare to other scoots  like Super 8's or Aprilia Sportcity 125's. Good to know (hope) that others are also taking a liking to it and look forward to hearing what they have to say about their experiences.

PeTroL42

• View Profile
Re: Movie 150 Review
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 03:54:07 AM »
I'm curious what the top speed of this Movie 150 is. I really like the look of this scooter and the big under seat storage is what all scooters should have.

But 90-95 kph is not that fast in my opinion. 

My Super 8 could do that and it doesn't have a 4-valve head.

I'm curious to see how fast you could get it up to after the engine has been broken-in.

DeeAir

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 09:37:36 PM »
I did get it up to 95 very briefly before pulling back, however feeling that there was definitely a bit more. Can't comment on the Super 8 as I've never ride. In saying that I know the Kymco speedos are definitely a little generous by about 3-5 kph relative to what speed you're at in a given time. This was confirmed with my experience on the Movie.
It's broken in already but haven't given it a genuine effort for a top speed run yet. Once I do, I'll definitely post the results.

PeTroL42

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 12:03:46 AM »
It's broken in already but haven't given it a genuine effort for a top speed run yet. Once I do, I'll definitely post the results.

Please do, I'm very curious.

DeeAir

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 04:12:52 PM »
Got it up to 103 kph when the acceleration really started to plateau. Didnt have enough room to see if I could run it higher. Keep in mind that the road was flat (neither incline or decline) and was not in a crouch at all (standard riding position). Was very stable and did not notice any drift or shake. This point I only have 800km on the odometer as well.

2wheelfun

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 06:05:50 PM »
Deleted.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 07:26:57 PM by 2wheelfun »

ravnus234

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2015, 12:36:03 AM »
I just bought a movie 150 last week.  On flat road, I was able to max top speed at 61mph.  Downhill was 65mph.  This was off the speedo.  Although, I weigh 235 lbs. maybe a lighter rider can achieve more. The scooter definitely feels restricted.  Overall, the 13.5 hp makes acceleration to 50 mph quick.  I am quite impressed. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yellow Jacket

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2015, 01:45:14 AM »
Just took a ride on a friends Movie 4 days ago. I'm a performance junkie so did a two way top speed test using GPS.  Bike is past break in stage, 6k miles. Completely bone stock.  I'm about 230 #'s sitting on the bike. In normal riding position I got 59 MPH average for the two runs. This at about 2000' elevation.
Scooter owned in the past, Honda Aero 125, '87 Elite 150 (2), '87 & '90 250 Elite, Yamaha 200, (2), 400 Majesty, Aprilia  Atlantic 500, Piaggio BV250,SYM HD200,  Kymco Yager GT200
Current ride, Kymco GTi 300

Driller

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2015, 10:13:08 PM »
Good review. One of the few "real world"around.I posted my opinions here too. The bike YJ referred to was mine. I have hit a true 62 where the road was long enough. The speedometer is very accurate. Indicated is off by 1-1.5 mph at most.
This is one of my favorite scoots. 8)

yodaismycopilot

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2016, 03:33:23 AM »
I would like to know what you Movie riders think of the headlight quality. I read on review where they suggested it would be very good. But I think it was more of a journalistic review where the bike was not ridden.

Tiny

• Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2016, 01:27:15 AM »
Low beams are pretty good and the highs are just okay. They do the job well in the city not sure on B-roads.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()