Author Topic: Angled Valve Stems?  (Read 2749 times)

Yager200i

• View Profile
Angled Valve Stems?
« on: June 11, 2014, 09:23:35 PM »
I can't check my tire pressure on the whiz-bang variable pressure, automatic pressure sensing machine at Costco because my valve stems are straight, and the air chuck is straight, so there's insufficient room to get the air chuck in there.

So, what angled valve stems should I use? Do different bikes use different types of valve stems? How do I know which is the right one to use?

BTW, if you live near a Costco with a tire center, you can just pull up to one of their roll-up doors (outside the lift bays). Just inside the roll-up door, you'll see a small red cabinet with a green self-coiling hose attached. There's big '+' and '-' buttons and a digital display on the cabinet to set the desired pressure. Fit the chuck to the valve stem, and it'll fill the tire to that pressure. If you're over-pressure, it'll drain it to the correct pressure. All free. No one even asks if we're Costco members when we do it (although we are). Just be sure to park perpendicular to the lift bay so you don't block traffic going by outside.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Angled Valve Stems?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 10:15:27 PM »
All valve stems are the same. The only difference is if they bolt in or simply pressure fit. I would get them from a local Ace Hardware or any auto shop. You can break the bead, and install them yourself. Just push the tire to one side, and pull it thru.

A little soapy water helps it slide in easily
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Yager200i

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 12:43:07 PM »
zombie wrote:
All valve stems are the same.

Apparently they're *not* all the same... in doing research, I found that some BMW and Honda rims have a little raised ring around the opening where the valve stem protrudes to lock it properly into place, and they thus require a special valve stem.

There's also apparently different size diameters of valve stems...
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=208

http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=6753.msg71319#msg71319

I'm going to go with a metal clamp-in type angled valve stem, when I figure out what size hole we have. I plan on changing out the valve stems at the same time as I change the tires.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 12:48:39 PM by Yager200i »

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 01:14:20 PM »
For OUR purposes they are all the same, and will all fit OUR rims.

"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

motorandy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 05:45:47 PM »
Yager,

Did you figure out what size hole we have on our Yagers?  I would also like to switch to the angled stems.

TIA,
MotoRandy
Phoenix, AZ

Yager200i

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 11:56:57 PM »
Not yet, but that's coming up real soon. I'm at 9083 miles right now, and I'll change the tires at 10,000.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 02:08:22 AM »
MotoRandy, If you want to order stems... The only specialty stems are labeled as such. All the rest are standard. It's not like buying a bolt, and asking for whatever they have/expecting it to fit.

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 09:34:03 PM »
   J & P Cycles had them on sale $2.63 ea.  so I bought 10 of them ,  will pick them up tomorrow at UPS., should fit  car van and scooter,. 

Yager200i

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 10:11:41 PM »
I got the MOTO-D Angled Motorcycle Valve Stems (11.3mm). I put one on the rear tire, it fit perfectly, and the tire isn't losing pressure, so it's all good. I haven't done the front tire yet... not had time lately.

DaveC

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2015, 05:55:14 PM »
Buy an electric pump form a big box retailer and a couple of pressure gauges and be done with it. Remember the angle must clear both the disk caliper and the transmission. They may not work. With the relative low pressure (25lbs) required you could use a good bicycle pump!
Dave C
   Roaming the blackland prairie on a daily basis

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()