Author Topic: 700I prices?  (Read 15828 times)

Porkie

• View Profile
700I prices?
« on: June 06, 2014, 12:23:04 PM »
I have been considering a new 700 Kymco but I had a question:  What prices have you seen for the scoot? Nobody pays retail that I know of and I never will. I am interested in sales prices in the United States only and the Dealers names and locations.

I love my new 500 but I bet I would like the 700 even more:)

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Sam:)
2014 Polaris Ranger 800 crew cab 4x4
2012 Honda Goldwing Blue
2013 Kymco Xciting RI ABS in gold/ orange
2005 Suzuki Burgman 650 blue metallic
KF6GUW Amateur Extra

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
Re: 700I prices?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 07:29:11 PM »
Hey Sam I really don't know what the low price is going to be on this scoot. My local has one. Been there for awhile and I don't see it selling anytime soon. They do seem anxious to move it. Their business is 300cc or less and most in the 125-150cc class. They sell a ton of scoots but few large ones.

http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/mcd/4489226440.html

I thought I saw a dealer ad at 8k but can't remember where. I've been all over the last few weeks.

Good luck. I rode one and its a fine machine. Problem for me would be the BMWs are starting too drop in price.

Be Big,
AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

kingkymco125

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 05:48:44 PM »
Now that's a good ad.  I know the public is starting to embrace scooters, but it me a wbile. The thinking on this says buy a motorcycle, or a decent automobile for tnis much money.
David M.  Las Vegas, Nevada
New 2012 Kymco Agility 125cc bike

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 07:28:18 PM »
I don't care how they want to portray them... Anything over 250cc is not a scooter IMHO.

Please help me understand this... Why would someone want a 700cc machine that has a crippled transmission, and reduced handling abilities that also goes way to fast for any piece of hardware on the machine.

For ONCE I am not try ing to be a smart ass. I really don't understand. Why buy a sub par death trap compared to a REAL motorcycle. Physical limitations of the rider excluded... No one that can not walk goes out and buys a McLaren f!, and adds handicap controls.

My point is you cannot down shift in emergency situations so you are relying on brakes made a cheap as possible. The tire size speaks for itself. the frames are supported by plastic. The lighting sucks. Center of gravity is designed for rider stance, and has nothing to do with handling yet people buy these things, and insist they are Fantastic on the HIGHWAY!

Honestly I believe they should be, and eventually will be banned.

Trust me... I am not trolling for hates sake. I am trying to understand if people really understand what they are getting themselves into with these "maxi scoots".
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 09:17:48 PM »
I don't care how they want to portray them... Anything over 250cc is not a scooter IMHO.

Please help me understand this... Why would someone want a 700cc machine that has a crippled transmission, and reduced handling abilities that also goes way to fast for any piece of hardware on the machine.

For ONCE I am not try ing to be a smart ass. I really don't understand. Why buy a sub par death trap compared to a REAL motorcycle. Physical limitations of the rider excluded... No one that can not walk goes out and buys a McLaren f!, and adds handicap controls.

My point is you cannot down shift in emergency situations so you are relying on brakes made a cheap as possible. The tire size speaks for itself. the frames are supported by plastic. The lighting sucks. Center of gravity is designed for rider stance, and has nothing to do with handling yet people buy these things, and insist they are Fantastic on the HIGHWAY!

Trust me... I am not trolling for hates sake. I am trying to understand if people really understand what they are getting themselves into with these "maxi scoots".

Yep.

Be Big,
AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

Porkie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2014, 09:19:50 PM »
One word: FUN.

75% of the time I ride my scooter to work instead of my Goldwing. Why?: It brings back the fun feeling I had many years ago when I first rode--anything and everything from moped to 750cc, 3 cyl 2 stroke screamers, they were all fun.  After 76 motorcycle's and scoot's, the "Thrill is gone," like BB King sings about--except on a scooter.

If I could drive a Go-cart to work instead of my Dodge 400 Horsepower, Hemi powered, 4x4 Big Horn pickup, I'd do it for one reason: Fun!

2014 Polaris Ranger 800 crew cab 4x4
2012 Honda Goldwing Blue
2013 Kymco Xciting RI ABS in gold/ orange
2005 Suzuki Burgman 650 blue metallic
KF6GUW Amateur Extra

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2014, 09:22:19 PM »
To the point. I like your style AMAC
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2014, 09:27:39 PM »
One word: FUN.

75% of the time I ride my scooter to work instead of my Goldwing. Why?: It brings back the fun feeling I had many years ago when I first rode--anything and everything from moped to 750cc, 3 cyl 2 stroke screamers, they were all fun.  After 76 motorcycle's and scoot's, the "Thrill is gone," like BB King sings about--except on a scooter.

If I could drive a Go-cart to work instead of my Dodge 400 Horsepower, Hemi powered, 4x4 Big Horn pickup, I'd do it for one reason: Fun!

I agree 100%. I would also ride a 40-50 hp go cart if I could... It's the scooter on the Highway thing that gets me. On country roads sure. The fun is the reason but Highway riding seems to be just a bit out of their league (to me).

Like running a saucer sled down a luge track.

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2014, 05:43:02 PM »
I have been considering a new 700 Kymco but I had a question:  What prices have you seen for the scoot? Nobody pays retail that I know of and I never will. I am interested in sales prices in the United States only and the Dealers names and locations.

CycleTrader is a great source (range from $7,800-MSRP) and of course it depends on where in the US and dealers sitting on one are more likely to discount unless the factory offers an incentive down the road if they are sitting in warehouses. I have over the year bought new bikes that were sitting in the warehouse unsold like the new 1986 Honda Helix I bought in 1989 for a sweet deal or my most recent purchase of a new 2009 Suzuki Burgman 650 std model for $7,500 OTD in 2010. I might be interested in one myself however the price needs to be at least around that $7,800 figure for me.

I somewhat agree with that though I think it should have more to do with the physical size like my Helixes were large more like a bike but with only a 250cc engine.

Sounds like you have never ridden one let alone ever owned one. Firstly the center of gravity on most maxi-scoots is lower than that on many "motorcycles" and what does it matter if you can't downshift (nevermind the fact that the bike does this on its own just like an automatic in a car)  if the brakes do their job? In fact the brakes on these bikes are much better than most with dual front/single rear discs. You really should read some of the motorcycle reviews on these "scooters" from even sport bike riders.

I have seen a steady conversion of cruiser/touring bike owners (everything from BMW's, Goldwings, Harleys, and even sportier bikes) moving over to maxi-scoots (in fact I was just reading a post on a Burgman forum of two Harley riders who moved over, not that Harleys "handle" lol) because they are so easy to ride, handle great, etc... The fact that on some of these maxi-scoots you have better weather/wind protection and get things like ABS, power folding mirrors, power adjustable windscreen, heated grips/seats, and that along with most have a very large usuable trunk makes them all the more appealing for all around use.

Frames supported by plastic thats just too ridiculous. As far as lighting goes I doubt you could find better than my Burgman 650 on a "real motorcycle". It has dual H4 bulbs (the same as many cars) for lighting, both work on low and high unlike some of those European models. It has enough room under the seat for two full face helmets, great wind/weather protection, radial tires, a ECVT I can change ratios if I so desire or even put in a mode to keep the RPM's higher for twisties, and cruises all day at any speed I want twist and go. The bike is more capable of being pushed harder than I do not that I'm real easy on it.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 05:47:30 PM by MJR »
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2014, 08:50:53 PM »
Thank you MJR, I appreciate your taking the time to explain some of these points. I am sure it will help others More so than me.

I quit riding cruisers back in the early 80's. Well before I ever heard of Maxi Scooters. My personal favorite bike was the Kawi LTD 1000. My brother was a Gold Wing guy. We used to swap bikes until I had a near miss with a custom van that swerved for whatever reason.

The thing that sticks w/ me to this day is the momentum the bike had was far to great for the handling capability.
Back to scooters.... I have ridden a Burgman 650, and I understand it takes time to get a "feel" for these things but my instant impression was worse than I could bear. I got off within 15 miles.Perhaps it is a left over fear of riding a bomb straight into the ground (ie: Slim Pickins) or it is a REAL aptitude I have for knowing what is safe feeling, and what isn't.
I ride low chopped bikes. It has always been my preference. I also have taken the low side slide too many times to count. My "feeling" on Maxi's is there is realty no choice except for a high side flight.

Not to beat this into the ground but they remind me of the 250 Yamaha Trikes they had back in the day. They were so dangerous they stopped producing them.

Again I appreciate your input. I know your post will help some folks understand what they are looking at, and I hope some of my rant helps someone see both sides of the coin. Something that big should be designed to be agile enough to avoid trouble, and not bear down the lane into it.

One of my favorite movie lines ever... 1,000,000 parts, and all built by the lowest bidder.
I'd spend the $$$, and get a Kawi again.

My 65 cents...
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 08:53:13 PM by zombie »

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2014, 12:15:39 AM »
Back to scooters.... I have ridden a Burgman 650, and I understand it takes time to get a "feel" for these things but my instant impression was worse than I could bear. I got off within 15 miles.

I can understand if you've already had such slides before. As I was reading your reply I remembered how I felt the first time I took my first scooter on the freeway back in 1987. It was a Honda Helix and the small narrow bias ply tires would track in the grooved concrete freeway. It spooked me and it took some time to get used to. Once I did get used to it I never really thought that much about it again.

Being I never rode larger bikes before I don't have a sense for them but coming up from the Helix it's a different story. Having larger radial tires changes the feel quite a bit from the Helix and the Burgman 650 is a more capable bike than I would say I am a rider. One of the things I found on the Burgman was the larger front fairing and headlights made it much more visible to traffic around me vs. the Helixes. My candy apple red Helix I got somewhat noticed on but still had to watch people. The pearl white Helix, forget it nobody saw me on that one, might as well have been invisible. My first Burgie was dark blue but I didn't have any real issues being seen on it.

As far as the MyRoad 700i the lighting is suppose to be pretty good for a bike. Most of the reviews suggest it might be nice for someone of my height (5'7") but maybe not for someone much taller without seat/windscreen changes. I find it a very interesting bike, in some of the photos on the mini site http://www.kymco.com/event/2011_myroad700i/ it make me think it should be something Judge Dredd should be on.  8)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 12:20:40 AM by MJR »
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2014, 01:04:42 AM »
Thanks man.

Maybe I'l go test ride one in Talli., just so I can say I gave it a go. I'll (of course) use Jose Sanchez as my alias... just in case the bike don't make it back in one piece.

This is exactly where forums can make all the difference. Learning from people who have "been there/done that"

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2014, 10:03:53 PM »
MJR is right on. I have over 50,000 miles on my xciting 500 (almost all hwy-freeway). Toured cross country 2 times, several 700 plus mile days and one 1,004 mile day. With the set up and beg riding position I can ride all day. With low center of gravity it handles very well. Good breaks etc. I have owned dresser Hog's and Beemers, Harley FLT's (2), And 4 touring BMW's (last 2 R-100 RT's). Weight is 475, and has a long wheel base (about same as Harley road king). So it handles well in side winds. My scooter is just about one of the best road/touring bikes I have ever owned. I feel and or have no safety issues with the bike to boot. ;) :) ;D 8) :-* P. S. I have met several burgman 650 owners on the road. Not one would trade or sell their bikes for anything else in the world. Can't get a better testimonial then that! :-*   

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2014, 12:20:32 AM »
Highway bike...

arcanum70

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2014, 04:55:28 AM »
I would LOVE one of these, but the practical side of my brain (the side which led me to buy a scooter instead of a motorcycle) won't let me spend that much money on one.  There is SO much that I could do with that money, and still have enough left to buy a 250 that can go interstate speeds (I go the speed limit, I know a lot of people want bikes that can go a LOT faster, however being able to hold a steady 65 when on the interstate (55 and 50 are more common since most of my riding is on US and state highways) and have a little left over just in case is good enough for me).
Build a man a fire and you keep him warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()