Author Topic: MaxiScooter Highway Riding?  (Read 10377 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
MaxiScooter Highway Riding?
« on: May 30, 2014, 09:32:45 PM »
A question (after watching videos of big scoots and motorcycles on the highway)
Does anyone here ride conservatively on their highway capable scooters?
Or, do you all cut & sift and constantly change your lanes through the traffic around you on the interstates? Riding as though those cars and trucks are like cones on a gymkhana, rather than fellow travelers flowing to a destination?

"Conservatively" to me would mean : getting in the R hand lane and staying there, unless severely blocked by something. My scoot can't do highways - but for those of you with bigger scooters, how do you ride on something like I-70?
Curious, Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: MaxiScooter Highway Riding?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 11:49:51 PM »
I keep ONE thing in mind when riding anything/anywhere... I am getting home tonight. Everyone else can suck an egg.

Tempting fate is for retards, and jack holes that don't belong here using resources anyway. Cull them out.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

bluesin

• 2012 DT 300i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 12:10:00 AM »
A question (after watching videos of big scoots and motorcycles on the highway)
Does anyone here ride conservatively on their highway capable scooters?
Or, do you all cut & sift and constantly change your lanes through the traffic around you on the interstates? Riding as though those cars and trucks are like cones on a gymkhana, rather than fellow travelers flowing to a destination?

"Conservatively" to me would mean : getting in the R hand lane and staying there, unless severely blocked by something. My scoot can't do highways - but for those of you with bigger scooters, how do you ride on something like I-70?
Curious, Stig

I do the same as in my truck (especially after getting hit by an 18-wheeler )... only left-hand lane to pass ( when safe ) , after all- all the signs state "Stay in right-hand lane unless passing " !!

I hesitate ( but- do it for short runs , only ) to ride ANY two-wheeler on I-95 . I agree with the Instructors of the MSF 'Ride Safe Program"...they do not even get on I-95 with their big Harleys, except for short runs due to the Big Rigs and Cagers who exceed limits/text/read/etc. when driving  .
"There is a Fifth Dimension beyond which is known to Man. It is a Dimension as vast as Space and as timeless as Infinity......It is an area which we call 'The Twilight Zone' .   "Rod Serling

RubenC

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 03:51:57 AM »
I ride defensively and conservative on the Highways and tollways in the Fort Worth-Dallas area.
From the Great Nation called Texas. Oops I mean the Great State called Texas

houndguy

• Fear the mangy mutt!
  • Your idiotism amuses me.
    • View Profile
    • Scooter Revolution!
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2014, 11:35:36 AM »
I obey the rules of the road.  I don't always stay in the right lane but if I pass I do it safety. 

As someone said, my only goal when riding is to make it home. 
Just another scooter blog - http://www.2smallerwheels.blogspot.com

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 04:09:21 PM »
   I tryed riding in the right lane , but the late lane changers for a exit move into you like your not there, so most of my riding on the super slab is in the passing lane or the middle lane ,. have not done I 95 down south for a few years,. dont miss it at all,.  I 5 was very nice 2 years ago from wash. to Cal.down to I 10

kfc.android

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2014, 03:00:42 PM »
As a southern Californian, I take freeway almost anywhere.
I commute 60 miles daily on the interstates, most of the time I stay in the carpool/HOV lane.
Since it's legal, I do lane splitting when I think it's safe to do that.

Few tips for someone who wants to and never ride on freeway:
 - Create/find a gap between the traffic in front and behind you and stay there
 - Don't ride too slow or too fast, follow the traffic speed and maybe slightly faster then that
 - Use earplugs
 - Know your (and your bike's) limit

Just assume you are invisible and ride defensively.

mnpugdog

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2014, 07:54:56 PM »
Just assume you are invisible and ride defensively.

Number one rule at all times no matter where you ride. It's amazing how many times I get cut off riding a bright orange DT with day glow green jacket and helmet.

arcanum70

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2014, 07:21:47 AM »
Where I live when you say 'highway' we think state or U.S. highway.  I've noticed on various forums that most people when they say 'highway' mean interstate.

When riding mine on the interstate I keep it at 65 (the interstate speed limit here in Vermont).  I will cut over to the left lane to pass someone.

With that being said, there are times when I'll goose it up, but as a general rule, whether on a bike, car, or tractor trailer I go the speed limit.
Build a man a fire and you keep him warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

SgtShak

• '13 Kymco GT300i / '11 Vespa Lx150 (wifes)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2014, 11:13:16 PM »
I have owned three Burgman 650's.  Although I always tried to avoid highway/interstate riding, I did venture onto them occasionally. Including a three hour trip on the NYS Thruway to Americade in Lake George.  Even though the bike handled it amazingly well and had plenty of speed and power to spare, I always tried to remain in the "granny" lane at a constant speed.  That dividing groove or seam between the two lanes always scared me.  The "perk" with that scooter is that you can fold in the mirrors for splitting lanes.  NO GOOD!  I have seen guys do this on sport bikes...just buzzing between traffic.  These guys (at least to me) are the one who make up the bad statistics that we all read about and are labeled by.  I continue to learn to ride within your ability and safety.  Screw what others think...especially the ones behind you.......constantly pushing you.
Don't be afraid....It's only a scooter!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2014, 01:46:31 AM »
You are indeed my black sheep brother. I'll try to convince Mom she has always been wrong about you.
I could have written that post, except for the bikes, and highway, and mirrors, and creepy lane slots. Otherwise it was like I said all that.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

SgtShak

• '13 Kymco GT300i / '11 Vespa Lx150 (wifes)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2014, 07:28:33 PM »
Does this mean that I can still sleep over tonight.....Bro?     Maybe we are like DeVito & Schwarzenegger.
Don't be afraid....It's only a scooter!

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2014, 05:49:12 PM »
Just like you would do.

NeoGenesisMax

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2014, 03:08:51 PM »
When I ride on the highway I do everything I can to get out of the middle of traffic. These buttholes in their giant suvs dont care who they run over and will merge into your lane and you better get out of the way. So yea I go fast enough to get ahead so I can keep those fools behind me where it's safest for me. Then I ride conservativly.

Super Scooter Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2014, 02:58:19 PM »
I ride my Xciting 500 pretty conservatively on i95 CT-NY stretch. It is a highside waiting to happen especially in the Westchester and Bronx section prior to the Cross Bronx. The Cross Bronx would be the worst but traffic is usually so backed up that you are not really going fast enough to get into problems because of the physically bad road condition.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()