Author Topic: 2013 Kymco Super 8 2t Tuning Upgrade Help  (Read 15194 times)

kimura

• 2012 super 8 50cc 2t
    • View Profile
Re: 2013 Kymco Super 8 2t Tuning Upgrade Help
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2014, 03:48:23 AM »
Bettin,  would a quieter exhaust like the Naraku Traffic have the same performance increase (45mph) as well?

I'm a little concerned about getting an exhaust with an expansion chamber because of the noise but definitely am looking for a performance increase.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2014, 03:57:29 AM »
Performance = noise. No way around that one.

You could get a Phongeer expansion pipe. They are quieter than most, and are pretty cheap.

http://www.phongeer.com.tw/index.asp?lang=2
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

herrspoot

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2014, 03:46:42 PM »
The exhaust mod DOES WORK!!!! I do it almost daily and I work at the best Kymco shop in town. The large pipe coming off the bottom that goes nowhere really interrupts exhaust flow. The 2013 and later do have a washer in the header also. Stock de restricted I usually get 35-40 ok but really pretty sluggish still. After doing the exhaust mod, 45 easy and much more low end power. You need to go one jet size depending on altitude. Of course you don't get the power gain of a tuned pipe but you retain stock sound and the power band stays lower making the bike better to drive on a day to day basis.

BandL,
    I did the exhaust mod and derestricted my airbox on a '12 like 2t. I upjetted, but perhaps too much (went from an 82 to a 105, now down to 100, going to do some plug chops to see where I'm at). With the 105, it was obviously rich at WOT; am I still way above where I should be with jetting? I got quite a bit more power off the line, but it still planes off around 20 (or is this a transmission issue now?) Thanks!
2012 Like 50 2t
  Derestricted bushing
  Derestricted stock exhaust
  Derestricted stock airbox
  100 MJ
  Biondi windshield (with custom mounts)

"The pen is mightier than the sword, and is considerably easier to write with." Marty Feldman

Chris0381

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2014, 05:30:49 PM »
BandL,
    I did the exhaust mod and derestricted my airbox on a '12 like 2t. I upjetted, but perhaps too much (went from an 82 to a 105, now down to 100, going to do some plug chops to see where I'm at). With the 105, it was obviously rich at WOT; am I still way above where I should be with jetting? I got quite a bit more power off the line, but it still planes off around 20 (or is this a transmission issue now?) Thanks!

If all you did was mod the stock exhaust and pull out the tube from the box, a #85 jet may be all that is needed; some even still use the #82.
2013 Super 8 50cc 2T Air Cooled Mfg'd 2012
Stock pipe derestriction
Smooth Boss
6.5gm Dr Pulley sliders
Malossi Torsion Controller
Malossi Fly Clutch- yellow springs
Polini Variator
#95 Main Jet
Purple Malossi Contra Spring
42 MPH on the flats with the wind

herrspoot

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2014, 08:12:17 PM »
If all you did was mod the stock exhaust and pull out the tube from the box, a #85 jet may be all that is needed; some even still use the #82.

Ok, I will have to drop way back down and see what happens. I was purposely aiming to land on the rich side of stuff and work back lean, but it sounds like I overdid, haha. Thanks for the info!
2012 Like 50 2t
  Derestricted bushing
  Derestricted stock exhaust
  Derestricted stock airbox
  100 MJ
  Biondi windshield (with custom mounts)

"The pen is mightier than the sword, and is considerably easier to write with." Marty Feldman

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2014, 10:47:21 PM »
Over doing jetting is WAY better that thinking it is right when it still may be lean.
I posted a thread here called "Melted enough pistons to build a bridge." Truth is it would be a small bridge (maybe a few feet) but still. The point is the same.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Ian7

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2014, 09:03:31 PM »
...Also the old style carb is a humongous upgrade...

I'm about to launch into these upgrades on a 2013 Super8.... but I can tell you that my old stock 2003 People50 was WAY better than this stock slug 2013 super8  LOL

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2014, 09:11:22 PM »
 which People?  Two stroke I assume...

The S8 150 has the ability to surpass the 50cc2t in every aspect except throttle response. Stock they are almost equals.

Mike Florek

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2014, 08:41:40 PM »
Interesting comment, comparing bikes 10 years apart - yes, the EPA has been busy.  I have a project 2 stroke and here’s the story.  Everyone has the exhaust handled, so the next obvious move is on the other side.  The Kymco factory built a 100cc two stroke engine as the power plant for ATVs.  The intake is a true 20mm bore and still available.  I got mine here http://www.exportstrength.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_878_963&products_id=662

Mike Florek

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2014, 08:45:00 PM »
The next move is carburation.  I find the Keihin bolt-on carb just too time consuming to tune - two bolts to wrench off and four more at the bowl.  I chose a Dellorto PHBG. The advantage of its spigot mount is significant.  Less vibration is transferred to the carburetor and even better, to swap jets you simply loosen one clamp and turn the carb 45° giving access to the bung.  I used a Malossi spigot adapter part number M.024690 (also 20mm) and the mount is new technology too.  SAE J20 (woven silicon, 300psi, 500°f) designed for supercharger and inter-cooler unions.  I got mine from Josh at the SCOOTER GARAGE  http://thescootergarage.com/

Mike Florek

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2014, 08:52:19 PM »
Bringing all the components together is the easy part.  Finding the cable needs to be modified all but wore me out.  Keihin style cable end has a snap-in 90° tube.  The carb has a ring that secures the tube and releasing it is done with two safety pins and just just the right effort where your thumbs turn blue. 

Mike Florek

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2014, 08:56:53 PM »
If released from the throttle tube on the handle bars, you will get enough slack to slide up the collet and remove the carburetor half cable at the splitter.  I used the universal style carburetor half cable from a wreck and mated the two.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2014, 10:18:07 PM »
That's a nice set up. I had built essentially the same set up for my ZX awhile back.

I wound up using a mid length adjustable one piece cable, and removed the oil pump.

The set up your running will add around 7mph to the bike, and you will get there much quicker. Please keep us informed...

The big bonus is in a few years you can look back to see where you got the parts. Send Josh our love!

Ian7

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2014, 06:26:58 PM »
which People?  Two stroke I assume...

The S8 150 has the ability to surpass the 50cc2t in every aspect except throttle response. Stock they are almost equals.

sorry for confusion, was comparing my 2003 People50cc 2stroke to my current Super8 50cc 2 stroke

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2014, 11:34:13 PM »
 ;)   8)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()