Author Topic: 2013 Kymco Super 8 2t Tuning Upgrade Help  (Read 15213 times)

Gatorballs

• View Profile
2013 Kymco Super 8 2t Tuning Upgrade Help
« on: May 28, 2014, 11:33:59 PM »
Hope you guys can help me.  I bought a 2013 Kymco Super 8 50 2t a 3 weeks ago.  I had it derestricted (smooth drive boss,  Exhaust,  CDI and Up-jetted the carb). Now getting about 36-37 MPH on the flats. I eventually want to go to a Big Bore Kit but for now want to get :

1. New Pipe - Looked at a Stage6 Pro or Stage6 Pro Replica and Yasuni R.  Wrote Yasuni but they could not tell me if it would fit.  So will probably go with Stage6. Where can I buy one?  How do I know if it will bolt up?  The websites I go to  lists other Scooter models and engines like Minarelli and Piaggio etc.  How do I know what kind of engine group I'm in ?  I believe it is a KF10AA but which engine style does it match for parts selection?

2.  Variator -  Looking at Stage6 (They have different versions) which one do you suggest.  They have an overrange one too.  What is the difference?  Also looked at Malossi Multivar and Malossi Multivar 2000.  Is one better than the other and why?  It appears that the Malossi also come with 9 gram roller weights I was thinking 6 grams was a good starting point and probably looking to go lower at sometime later.  Your thoughts? Also what clutch spring?

3.  Clutch - Stage6 They have an overrange one too.  What is the difference and where can I get one?

Most of the work will be done at the suzuki dealer but they are motorcycle mechanics and haven't had a lot of experience with scooter upgrades and haven't provided alot of advise on parts other than what they find on racingplanet website.  Since racing planet doesn't have Stage6 they don't know anything about it.

What parts do you suggest and where can I get them?  I live in Sarasota Florida and would prefer someplace in US if there out there.  But will buy from Europe or Canada if I have too.  Just thought it would be easier to return if they don't fit and of course shipping would be cheaper and faster.

After this round and when I get more money I will add a Big Bore Kit and get a bigger Carb.

Does this sound like a reasonable plan?  Any and all comments/advice, links etc. appreciated.

Thanks
Greg

Chris0381

• View Profile
Re: 2013 Kymco Super 8 2t Tuning Upgrade Help
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 01:42:18 AM »
What exhaust and CDI derestriction did you do ? I'm getting 37MPH with just smooth boss and 82 jet.
2013 Super 8 50cc 2T Air Cooled Mfg'd 2012
Stock pipe derestriction
Smooth Boss
6.5gm Dr Pulley sliders
Malossi Torsion Controller
Malossi Fly Clutch- yellow springs
Polini Variator
#95 Main Jet
Purple Malossi Contra Spring
42 MPH on the flats with the wind

Gatorballs

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 02:24:50 AM »
I'm still using the stock exhaust that has had the washer by the manifold taken out.  Looking to replace it with a performance pipe.

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 02:42:29 AM »
You can get 40-45 just by getting the exhaust restrictions off. The hose that connects to the exhaust is the air intake for the catatizer, and the tube that comes off the bottom makes the exhaust gasses fight each other not flowing well. Get those hacked off and welded shut. Also if you have a good kymco shop close the "old" style carb from pre 2007 people 50 fits and with those two mods 50mph easy and lots more low end power. Pm me I can send you old style carb and intake NEW. Race pipes are nice but increase power in the high rpm and I've had people say they regretted getting it, also very loud.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 03:51:26 AM »
sh** ton of questions. I'll see if I can help...

Call Louie at SPI  http://www.spi-parts.com

I don't know the engine well enough to say anything for parts. Try Louie, and see. Post up what you find.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 03:56:51 AM »
Oh hell psssssss. I forgot.
Stage6RSII That's the clutch you want. I can tell you for sure whatever HP you have that clutch can tune to it. 2-3HP or 15-20HP. It's a smack up clutch.
Get e Jasil/Top Racing variator tho...  2-3MPH better than the Malossi. Never tried the stage6 BUT you can see it is bare aluminum faced.
The Jasil is Chrome Plated on the face.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Chris0381

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 11:11:28 AM »
I'm still using the stock exhaust that has had the washer by the manifold taken out.  Looking to replace it with a performance pipe.

I didnt know there was a washers restriction in the exhaust. Did you have to grind it out or simply pull the washer out ?
Stock pipe derestriction
Smooth Boss
6.5gm Dr Pulley sliders
Polini Variator
#95 Main Jet

Chris0381

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 11:13:29 AM »
You can get 40-45 just by getting the exhaust restrictions off. The hose that connects to the exhaust is the air intake for the catatizer, and the tube that comes off the bottom makes the exhaust gasses fight each other not flowing well. Get those hacked off and welded shut. Also if you have a good kymco shop close the "old" style carb from pre 2007 people 50 fits and with those two mods 50mph easy and lots more low end power. Pm me I can send you old style carb and intake NEW. Race pipes are nice but increase power in the high rpm and I've had people say they regretted getting it, also very loud.

But we are told in another post the exhaust mod you are speaking doesn't really do much. This is were this forum gets confusing and we don't know what really works and what doesn't. I'd like to attempt this exhaust mod does it need a upjet once done ?
Stock pipe derestriction
Smooth Boss
6.5gm Dr Pulley sliders
Polini Variator
#95 Main Jet

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 03:28:57 PM »
The exhaust mod DOES WORK!!!! I do it almost daily and I work at the best Kymco shop in town. The large pipe coming off the bottom that goes nowhere really interrupts exhaust flow. The 2013 and later do have a washer in the header also. Stock de restricted I usually get 35-40 ok but really pretty sluggish still. After doing the exhaust mod, 45 easy and much more low end power. You need to go one jet size depending on altitude. Of course you don't get the power gain of a tuned pipe but you retain stock sound and the power band stays lower making the bike better to drive on a day to day basis.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2014, 03:34:00 PM »
Next time I make one I'll do a write up and before\after top speed video. Also the old style carb is a humongous upgrade.

Chris0381

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2014, 03:54:24 PM »
Bettin

How do you have to remove the exhaust washer ?

Is it near where the exhaust flange is bolted? I assume it is as I dont see any other way the exhaust attaches.

Doesnt the real long pipe attach to an EGR or something then up into the bike seat with a flexible hose. Does that whole system then get removed?

TY for confirmation on the exhaust mod.
Stock pipe derestriction
Smooth Boss
6.5gm Dr Pulley sliders
Polini Variator
#95 Main Jet

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2014, 03:59:10 PM »
If your bike has the washer (Some early '13 dont) It will be right where the flange is. You can just dremell the tack welds out then pry it out with a large screwdriver or pry-bar. The piece on the exhaust that has a hose going to the seat area is to supply the CAT with air to do it's thing. You can just follow that hose up to I believe under the floor area and just tug it out, it's just attached by a rubber clip thing. Just take the exhaust off and bring it to a local muffler shop and ask them to grind off that and the turbulator and weld plugs in the holes left behind. I promise you won't be disappointed!!! The exhaust is really the #1 thing that slowed 50cc bikes down after 2007, if you hop on a 2005 Kymco 50cc they go stock 50mph all day long.

Chris0381

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2014, 04:05:52 PM »
So just to confirm, the CAT will no longer be supplied as that pipe system is removed.

Just wondering if muffler shops like Midas or Monroe have standard plugs to fill the holes or do they have to Jerry Rig a plug of some sort ?

TY
Stock pipe derestriction
Smooth Boss
6.5gm Dr Pulley sliders
Polini Variator
#95 Main Jet

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2014, 04:46:42 PM »
Correct no air to the cat if blocked. And they should be able to find something I use flange bolts.

Chris0381

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2014, 06:04:11 PM »
TY

Now we are getting somewhere with good info. I'll look int to it. But please do a write up sometime in the future.

Excellent data there.
Stock pipe derestriction
Smooth Boss
6.5gm Dr Pulley sliders
Polini Variator
#95 Main Jet

An Error Has Occurred!