Author Topic: What did you do to your DownTown today?  (Read 142891 times)

mousejunks

• View Profile
Re: What did you do to your DownTown today?
« Reply #705 on: February 17, 2018, 11:42:45 PM »
Changed my front tyre from Michelin Pilot to Pirelli Diablo. Much better grip and handling, feels like a different bike.
'09 Kymco Espresso 150i
'11 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS - 79,500km
'17 Kymco Downtown 350i ABS

kneeslider

• View Profile
« Reply #706 on: February 18, 2018, 04:04:10 PM »
Changed my front tyre from Michelin Pilot to Pirelli Diablo. Much better grip and handling, feels like a different bike.
Yup, good choice.
Gone is the drama of dancing around when it is wet.

Have you noticed that the tire profile isn't pointy? I have done about 4000kms on mine and they are really starting to look squared off.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

2019 Yamaha X-Max 250

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: February 18, 2018, 11:04:48 PM »
Snorvey, those two holes are for M6 looks like 1.0 pitch thread 14 mm long washer bolts. They hold the black plastic panel that has the radiator access cover. Previous owner or some mech forgot to put them back.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

mousejunks

• View Profile
« Reply #708 on: February 19, 2018, 02:38:19 AM »
Yup, good choice.
Gone is the drama of dancing around when it is wet.

Have you noticed that the tire profile isn't pointy? I have done about 4000kms on mine and they are really starting to look squared off.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

My Michelins did at least 30,000km before I replaced them. I will check my Pirellis after a few months.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 08:51:46 PM by mousejunks »
'09 Kymco Espresso 150i
'11 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS - 79,500km
'17 Kymco Downtown 350i ABS

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #709 on: February 19, 2018, 06:16:00 PM »
Snorvey, those two holes are for M6 looks like 1.0 pitch thread 14 mm long washer bolts. They hold the black plastic panel that has the radiator access cover. Previous owner or some mech forgot to put them back.

Thanks Karl.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: February 19, 2018, 09:49:57 PM »
You are welcome, Snorvey!

Put her back together and checked out yesterday, rode about 65 miles today in 70+ F, windy conditions.
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #711 on: February 19, 2018, 10:15:17 PM »
You are welcome, Snorvey!

Put her back together and checked out yesterday, rode about 65 miles today in 70+ F, windy conditions.

Niw the weather is warming up, mines in for it's annual inspection this weekend - hence getting the speedo fixed. Once I get it back threre is a collection of lubricants, filters and plugs waiting in the shed fur a rainy day of pottering  around

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #712 on: February 28, 2018, 09:12:05 PM »
Got the scoot back.  Steering head bearings done, annual inspection complete and the mechanic was even happy to fit the service parts I had bought over the winter (for a fee of course). The only problem was that the beast from the east has blanketed the UK in snow..... but the friendly dealer was more than happy to deliver the bike to me (at no cost). He needed the space in his workshop.

Now I just need the weather to ride the thing!

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: March 23, 2018, 11:03:37 PM »
  First ride since last summer,  got the tupper ware back on must have pulled a wire on the headlights they don't turn on,   take it apart again, and check the wiring ,. I think I will bring the front end in the basement, It is freezing cold in the garage, had to use a heat gun to put the tupper ware on,.  working in front of the fireplace feels nice,. 

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #714 on: March 24, 2018, 12:19:01 PM »
 morning folks.

My new drive belt has started howling on take off  again after about 20 or so miles. When I fitted the new belt I thought I did everything by the book, but after looking at a few you tube videos, I don't recall pushing the belt into the rear drive gully so it sits in the narrowest part of the drive.

Does the board consider this to be an important part of the fitting  process? It would certainly tie in with the noise im experience.  If so, is it just a matter of taking the covers of and 'pinching' the belt in the middle or is a complete refit recommended? What about gently tapping it into the groove with a hammer and a (very) blunt instrument or is that overkill?

Thanks!

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: March 24, 2018, 02:17:36 PM »
morning folks.

My new drive belt has started howling on take off  again after about 20 or so miles. When I fitted the new belt I thought I did everything by the book, but after looking at a few you tube videos, I don't recall pushing the belt into the rear drive gully so it sits in the narrowest part of the drive.

Does the board consider this to be an important part of the fitting  process? It would certainly tie in with the noise im experience.  If so, is it just a matter of taking the covers of and 'pinching' the belt in the middle or is a complete refit recommended? What about gently tapping it into the groove with a hammer and a (very) blunt instrument or is that overkill?

Thanks!
With noise soon after a belt change, and not certain that you tucked the belt into position on the rear pulley.....the concern would be that when you tightened the front pulley nut you were actually tightening the pulley faces on the BELT sides, rather than obtaining a metal on metal seating.
The quick result would be a loose, noisy belt, but more importantly a nut that was never
torqued  properly, is loose now, and will surely spin off inside the CVT cover with not good results!!
The concern has less to do with where the belt was tucked or not tucked during installation .....and more to do with "is that nut properly torqued NOW?"

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: March 24, 2018, 04:20:34 PM »
What Stig said in bunches! Just 'cause you did not move the belt on the rear pulley (or sheave as the industrial folks call 'em) does not mean you can tighten that nut up front properly. The converse is: you CAN'T!  You absolutely MUST get that belt as far into that rear pulley as possible so you have plenty of slack up front. Several variations on this forum have been destroyed because the front pulley did not make it to metal-to-metal seating. I would like to know how the production line does this and burps the cooling system!
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #717 on: March 24, 2018, 05:06:40 PM »
Thanks Stig / Karl

Right, this is where I'm at (I had hoped to post a pic, but Flickr seems to be taking ages). Basically, the front drive thing is off and the belt is still looped around the rear sheave / pulley.

So if I've got what you're saying, I need to find a way to push the belt as far as possible into the rear sheave / pully? That will give sufficient slack for the front two plates to meet metal to metal, rather that squishing the belt (as is happening at the moment?)

I've tried pushing it in, but I thought of using a rachet/socket extension bar (a rounded blunt end) and a hammer to tap it in further.

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #718 on: March 24, 2018, 05:43:41 PM »
Well its back on. The belt has been forced as much as I can into the rear pulley and the front plate has been re-attached with the nut Loctited on and torqued to the correct setting. There's no other way of checking its right until it's all put back together and it's taken out for a run I guess. But that can wait until tomorrow

Bring back chain drive :-)

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: March 24, 2018, 09:44:58 PM »
Sounds like you may have it!
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()