Author Topic: What did you do to your DownTown today?  (Read 142894 times)

kneeslider

• View Profile
Re: What did you do to your DownTown today?
« Reply #585 on: June 30, 2017, 07:34:09 AM »
Check our plug. It might be on it's way out.

Remember to gap it to 0.6-0.7mm.

De Dee wish I could suggest a good pair of lace-less boots, but then you may have to deal with zippers, or velcro. I've been having some problems with starting my DT, but I think it may be a vapor lock problem. I generally just push the Start button and then give it some gas while holding in the brakes. It's enough to get it going.

Just got my bike back form its annual tune-up yesterday so I'll in observation mode to see if the problem continues. After a tune-up I'm always itching for a road trip.

- Wolf
2019 Yamaha X-Max 250

mousejunks

• View Profile
« Reply #586 on: June 30, 2017, 10:51:21 AM »
My scooter wouldn't start twice this week. Battery was fine as headlights were working and there was a loud click coming from the solenoid (located to the right of the seat bucket), so they were ruled out. After wiggling the starter motor cable, the bike started immediately and I managed to get it home with no issue.

To get to the starter motor cable, I removed the seat, seat bucket and airbox. There was one nut holding the cable in place, and there was white corrosion on the ring terminal.

Why was the corrosion deposit white? Because I was carrying a car battery a few months before and it spilled acid in the seat bucket and leaked out of the drain holes, which were located right above the starter motor.
'09 Kymco Espresso 150i
'11 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS - 79,500km
'17 Kymco Downtown 350i ABS

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: June 30, 2017, 11:27:12 AM »
Ouch.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: June 30, 2017, 03:35:33 PM »
Need to get you some battery cleaner and spray everything down that got acid on it. Quick! Baking soda and water 50/50 , well mixed will do the same thing. After letting it sit for a time, then flush very good with fresh water
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: July 05, 2017, 05:27:43 PM »
 Replaced the brake fluid front and rear ,  was doing it myself but got a little air in the master cylander and had to take it to the dealer to reverse flow to get the air out, pumping fluid from the calipers up,.   nice to have the right tools , took them 30 Min. to do both wheels,  that is with a wash after the job,. 
  thank you Ottawa good time center,     
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 12:11:38 PM by de dee »

kneeslider

• View Profile
« Reply #590 on: July 14, 2017, 07:47:41 AM »
Pulling in the rear brake lever, pressed the starter button. Nothing. Checked kicked stand if it was up, it was.

Pulled front brake lever, pressed starter button, cranks and starts up.

I guess my left brake switch is kaput.

Is this an easy part to change?
2019 Yamaha X-Max 250

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: July 20, 2017, 01:52:19 AM »

I ORDERED 2 BELTS FROM Taiwan BIG SCOOTER SHOP  $132.00 for two belts + $ 20.00 for shiping,.  I thought I would get two belts while they are on sale there,  $ 66.00 per belt not to bad , it is better than $ 188.00 ea.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: July 20, 2017, 12:12:32 PM »
Pulling in the rear brake lever, pressed the starter button. Nothing. Checked kicked stand if it was up, it was.

Pulled front brake lever, pressed starter button, cranks and starts up.

I guess my left brake switch is kaput.

Is this an easy part to change?

If it is buried in difficult to remove plastics, you could try a squirt of that electrical contact cleaner spray.  Work it several times.....might connect and start working again?
Switches are pretty cheap if a GY6 part will suffice. That'd be the best long term fix.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

pipster326

• View Profile
« Reply #593 on: July 20, 2017, 12:40:49 PM »
I had to change 1 once, on my 150cc Lance Venice scooter. It was pretty easy. Getting access, to the correct wire (cable) would be the toughest part. Not sure how much body plastics,you would have to remove.

Rich

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kneeslider

• View Profile
« Reply #594 on: July 20, 2017, 01:15:08 PM »
Tried squirting in silicon lube. Didn't work.
Will probably have to get a new switch.
If it is buried in difficult to remove plastics, you could try a squirt of that electrical contact cleaner spray.  Work it several times.....might connect and start working again?
Switches are pretty cheap if a GY6 part will suffice. That'd be the best long term fix.
Stig
2019 Yamaha X-Max 250

tvniklas

• Passed the golden age 40...
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: August 05, 2017, 04:46:44 PM »
  I ORDERED 2 BELTS FROM Taiwan BIG SCOOTER SHOP  $132.00 for two belts + $ 20.00 for shiping,.  I thought I would get two belts while they are on sale there,  $ 66.00 per belt not to bad , it is better than $ 188.00 ea.

Thanks for the tip de dee, ordered belt,oilfilter and airfilter.
Hope the shop is genuine 😀

Messured my belt today, 19mm wide, and i cant see if its genuine, i bought the scooter used.
Hope my sqeking and shaky starts ends.
Kymco Downtown 300i ABS -2013
ODO: 9950km
Dr Pulley 15g / Orginal rollers  (change all the time)
Gas average 0,29L/10km
--------------------------------
Kymco Like 125  -2016  -Sold
Kymco Agility 50 -2015 -Sold
I have 14g ,15g and 15,5 Pulley´s to sell

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #596 on: August 05, 2017, 10:55:31 PM »
******g seat got stuck shut, with my helmet in the storage compartment. Had to walk home, grab a spare helmet and walk back. Good job I wasn't out on a longer trip.

It's still stuck. I don't know what to do with it, save getting a crowbar and breaking it

No warning that it was going to happen either. The latch had been fine up to that point. It's a pretty major flaw that could leave you totally stranded. I'm so angry with it!

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: August 06, 2017, 06:54:32 AM »
You do know, I hope, there is a way in that requires no tools? Turn forks to left, lay on ground (if an old guy) on machine right, look up to back of ignition switch, grab cable housing on bottom of ign. switch and pull along cable axis as best you can. Repeat yanking on cable housing until seat unlatches. Take two aspirin and call me in the morning!

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #598 on: August 06, 2017, 01:20:06 PM »
Hi Dr Karl

Thanks. Chill pills taken & I'm feeling much better now.

Right, I've had a look and I can see what you're saying. There's a single cable coming from the actuator attached to the ignition switch. The single cable goes into a plastic housing where 2 cables come out (presumably for each seat latch)

I've tried yanking as you say, but with no luck so far (well, it pops the closer of the 2 latches with no problem).

I also managed to get the under seat cable hatch cover off can actually get a hold of the 2 cables in there. Again, no success, but I'll keep trying.

My fear is that the cable has snapped.....then I really am stuffed.

Luckily, I have a spare lid & gloves so I can keep trying with no loss of scooter. It's just a pain carrying stuff around!

The steering head bearings need replacing as well, so if I'm taking the front and off any way....

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: August 06, 2017, 05:22:38 PM »
I think what happens is that cable splitter gets water in it and the whole deal gets rusty and crabby. I need to get to mine 'fore that happens on DT #2.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()