Author Topic: What did you do to your DownTown today?  (Read 142882 times)

Snorvey

• View Profile
Re: What did you do to your DownTown today?
« Reply #420 on: August 17, 2016, 09:16:46 PM »
Ah Dallas. Not many JR Ewing's or cowhorns strapped to the bonnet of cars here!

https://flic.kr/p/KLvuuR

Glad you enjoyed the pics by the way!

donjack

• View Profile
« Reply #421 on: August 17, 2016, 09:17:42 PM »
Ahem, quite possible  ;D
Are you possibly near Lossiemouth?

Why Ride 1 Mile When 10 Will Do!!

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #422 on: August 17, 2016, 09:22:58 PM »
Spot on.

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: August 17, 2016, 11:21:52 PM »
went for a little ride today ,  300 Km.  just passed 80,000 Km.     8o,027 Km.  an other tank of gas to pass 50,000 miles,. 

nushipwright

• View Profile
« Reply #424 on: August 18, 2016, 06:40:39 AM »
de dee you are clearly the km/mile guru on the Downtown 300i (at least on this forum you are).
What is your secret?
It would be nice to hear your maintenance schedule/routine.
Is it preventive maintenance to the max or everything by the book?
I'd encourage you to write up a pamphlet on the topic! :)
“Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”  - Mark Twain
. mostly 2up city

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #425 on: August 18, 2016, 05:12:32 PM »
Ok, confession time. When I was out on my run yesterday, the DT fell over. My fault - I hadn't put the sidestand fully forward and it rolled forward as I stepped off it.

A couple of scuffs, nothing too serious there.....but I cracked (snapped as it turned out) the Givi screen around the left hand guard area. Damn and blast. And damn again.

So off came the screen and first to the black plastic mounting plate behind where both push fit tangs had snapped off. I fixed that with a couple of drilled holes and 10mm bolts (you cant see them anyway, once the screen goes on.

The screen itself was a different proposition. Requiring a good covering of epoxy resin and some holding tape. It's been baking away in the shed for 8 hours now and it certainly seems to have worked. It needs another 10 hours at least to be fully set though.

Even before any cosmetic tidying up, it looks not too bad. I have some carbon fibre look alike tape in the shed to go over both handguards where the join is and a few other strategically placed motorcycle related stickers will finish the job off.  You'd have to be pretty damn close to see that anything was amiss.

It'll do until I decide on another screen.

Damn and blast again though.

kneeslider

• View Profile
« Reply #426 on: August 19, 2016, 01:44:02 AM »
went for a little ride today ,  300 Km.  just passed 80,000 Km.     8o,027 Km.  an other tank of gas to pass 50,000 miles,.

de dee,

How often do you change your main belt?
2019 Yamaha X-Max 250

de dee

• View Profile
« Reply #427 on: August 20, 2016, 01:18:18 AM »

when I installed the second belt I had 35,000 Km. ,  and when I changed to # 3 belt at 55,000 Km.  they got mixed up and the same belt went back on,.  so this belt has been on for 45,000 Km.  ,  and it still looks good,  I should call my self EASY RIDER,. 

nushipwright

• View Profile
« Reply #428 on: August 20, 2016, 10:42:28 AM »
Ok, confession time. When I was out on my run yesterday, the DT fell over. My fault - I hadn't put the sidestand fully forward and it rolled forward as I stepped off it.

A couple of scuffs, nothing too serious there.....but I cracked (snapped as it turned out) the Givi screen around the left hand guard area. Damn and blast. And damn again.

So off came the screen and first to the black plastic mounting plate behind where both push fit tangs had snapped off. I fixed that with a couple of drilled holes and 10mm bolts (you cant see them anyway, once the screen goes on.

The screen itself was a different proposition. Requiring a good covering of epoxy resin and some holding tape. It's been baking away in the shed for 8 hours now and it certainly seems to have worked. It needs another 10 hours at least to be fully set though.

Even before any cosmetic tidying up, it looks not too bad. I have some carbon fibre look alike tape in the shed to go over both handguards where the join is and a few other strategically placed motorcycle related stickers will finish the job off.  You'd have to be pretty damn close to see that anything was amiss.

It'll do until I decide on another screen.

Damn and blast again though.

Sorry to read your mishap.
 I totally feel your pain. Mine got blown over by the wind. Had the cover on in the parking lot@work (my stupidity. should have taken off when I heard the Storm coming...)Scooter scratched up badly here and there nothing broke luckily.

Try to cover epoxy best you can. It is not UV resistant! Sun will brake it down and so crack/break.
“Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”  - Mark Twain
. mostly 2up city

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #429 on: August 20, 2016, 12:50:00 PM »
Thanks for the tip re the UV light. I have a sheet of fake carbon fibre  adhesive material that was going to be employed for covering the cracks anyway.

Mind you, this is the first week there's really been a UV issue up here :-)

RubenC

• View Profile
« Reply #430 on: August 20, 2016, 09:02:24 PM »
It was too wet to do anything today.
From the Great Nation called Texas. Oops I mean the Great State called Texas

de dee

• View Profile
« Reply #431 on: August 21, 2016, 03:44:56 AM »
  Wet here to, so I installed a new belt ,.  and changed the oil, need to check the lights as the low beam was flicking and turning off,.  on my test ride tonight,.  the new belt is giving me lower RPM.s ,.    at speed,. 5100 RPM = 60 MPH.  before it was 5500 RPM for 60 MPH.  be fore my variator Mod. it was 6500 RPM for 60 MPH.,    all runs  with same  Dr. Pulley sliders,.  slider have about 40,000 Km. on them, and they look good for lots of miles more,. 

mousejunks

• View Profile
« Reply #432 on: August 27, 2016, 12:59:32 AM »
  Wet here to, so I installed a new belt ,.  and changed the oil, need to check the lights as the low beam was flicking and turning off,.  on my test ride tonight,.  the new belt is giving me lower RPM.s ,.    at speed,. 5100 RPM = 60 MPH.  before it was 5500 RPM for 60 MPH.  be fore my variator Mod. it was 6500 RPM for 60 MPH.,    all runs  with same  Dr. Pulley sliders,.  slider have about 40,000 Km. on them, and they look good for lots of miles more,.

I had a low beam flickering issue, it was due to the handlebar switch and was easily fixed by WD-40. Also if you are getting higher rpms for the same speed, it's likely due to the belt being less wide and therefore not riding as high on the variator.
'09 Kymco Espresso 150i
'11 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS - 79,500km
'17 Kymco Downtown 350i ABS

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #433 on: August 27, 2016, 05:02:23 PM »
Hmmm.....nice bike. The spark plug could to with being a tad more unnecessarily inaccessable however. Its not quite on a par with some of the Japanese models, but it's getting there.

Seriously though, a tiddly little single cyclinder engine and, once you get the seat bucket off, you have acres of room to  spare and yet they bury the spark plug on the underside of the engine?

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #434 on: August 27, 2016, 10:32:07 PM »
....oh, you can go in from underneath...? I'll look at that tomorrow. It should be easier though......

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()