Author Topic: What did you do to your DownTown today?  (Read 143178 times)

kneeslider

• View Profile
Re: What did you do to your DownTown today?
« Reply #555 on: April 02, 2017, 08:03:21 AM »
How do you drain the coolant?
2019 Yamaha X-Max 250

mousejunks

• View Profile
« Reply #556 on: April 02, 2017, 11:30:05 AM »
On the right hand side of the engine, there is a coolant pump to the right of the oil filler cap. Notice how the pump has 5 bolts. The fifth bolt at the bottom (odd one out) is the drain bolt.

Image: http://www.cyclepedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/LEA7_1080.jpg

No need to remove the coolant pump cover, just a photo as a guide.

Steps to drain coolant:

1) Remove the windshield
2) Remove the plastic front cover
3) Open the coolant cap
4) Undo the coolant pump drain bolt.

'09 Kymco Espresso 150i
'11 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS - 79,500km
'17 Kymco Downtown 350i ABS

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: April 02, 2017, 05:53:47 PM »
  run water through till it is clean,,  I use the shop Vac. to get all the water out,.   fill it with coolant, run it for a while shake it side-ways a while to make sure there is no air pockets , take short run to see if it heats up,   

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: April 03, 2017, 01:49:06 AM »
Also, not mentioned, is an air bleed hole located  on the left hand side of the cylinder head I don't have a picture, but it's the only water hose on the head. It is, like the water pump drain bolt on the R/H side. Both take an 8mm socket to remove and both have shinny hex heads. Remove both bolts during draining and flushing procedure. Flush only with Distilled water until both holes are squirting clear water.(At first you will be getting green.) Then in the refill pour the 50/50 coolant mix into the radiator ( with both plugs still out),  until the clear water turns to green coolant again. Then replace the air bleed bolt and the drain bolt. (do not over tighten, just very smug) Then take the bike by the L/H handle bar grip and the grab rail and rock the bike on it's center stand 5 or 6 time, back and forth . The idea is to dislodge any air pockets trapped in the cooling system. Don't be to gentle on the rocking. Next  just crack the air bleed hole until you see a trickle of coolant. Then re tighten the Bolt. Next take it for a test ride. The heat gauge should remain about 1/2 way. If it starts to rise above that take it home pronto , without letting it get too hot. Repeat the shaking, as you didn,t get all the air out. After system has completely cooled, remove radiator cap and top off. You also have to suction all the old coolant out of the overflow plastic container located under the L/H foot pad and refill it w/50/50 coolant mix.  Not nearly as hard as it sounds. Good luck.

Mac
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

Nireen

• View Profile
« Reply #559 on: April 03, 2017, 08:00:06 AM »
Gosh this is all very good for when my time comes.  Thanks everyone! great stuff.  :D

Also, not mentioned, is an air bleed hole located  on the left hand side of the cylinder head I don't have a picture, but it's the only water hose on the head. It is, like the water pump drain bolt on the R/H side. Both take an 8mm socket to remove and both have shinny hex heads. Remove both bolts during draining and flushing procedure. Flush only with Distilled water until both holes are squirting clear water.(At first you will be getting green.) Then in the refill pour the 50/50 coolant mix into the radiator ( with both plugs still out),  until the clear water turns to green coolant again. Then replace the air bleed bolt and the drain bolt. (do not over tighten, just very smug) Then take the bike by the L/H handle bar grip and the grab rail and rock the bike on it's center stand 5 or 6 time, back and forth . The idea is to dislodge any air pockets trapped in the cooling system. Don't be to gentle on the rocking. Next  just crack the air bleed hole until you see a trickle of coolant. Then re tighten the Bolt. Next take it for a test ride. The heat gauge should remain about 1/2 way. If it starts to rise above that take it home pronto , without letting it get too hot. Repeat the shaking, as you didn,t get all the air out. After system has completely cooled, remove radiator cap and top off. You also have to suction all the old coolant out of the overflow plastic container located under the L/H foot pad and refill it w/50/50 coolant mix.  Not nearly as hard as it sounds. Good luck.

Mac
Kat :)

Nireen

• View Profile
« Reply #560 on: April 03, 2017, 08:59:36 PM »
While I was at the garage today with the boy's they clearly don't think I should worry to much about the coolant thing.  Their experience with bikes over the many years is it is not something that needs alot of care.  They said they have a bike in the back that is 25 years old and the coolant was never changed.  Now the brake fluid is a different story but even still every 2 or 3 years is fine. 

Mac

kneeslider

• View Profile
« Reply #561 on: April 05, 2017, 05:25:27 AM »
If your garage is saying that coolant doesn't need changing, find a new garage.
2019 Yamaha X-Max 250

Nireen

• View Profile
« Reply #562 on: April 05, 2017, 05:57:25 AM »
Thanks Kneeslider.   I am going to investigate further...

If your garage is saying that coolant doesn't need changing, find a new garage.

mousejunks

• View Profile
« Reply #563 on: April 05, 2017, 11:13:16 AM »
Change the coolant every few years. It only takes 15 minutes and prevents your radiator from clogging and water pump from corroding, amongst other things.
'09 Kymco Espresso 150i
'11 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS - 79,500km
'17 Kymco Downtown 350i ABS

Nireen

• View Profile
« Reply #564 on: April 05, 2017, 11:27:49 AM »
OK thanks :)

Change the coolant every few years. It only takes 15 minutes and prevents your radiator from clogging and water pump from corroding, amongst other things.

eakins

• Butler Motorcycle Maps
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: April 05, 2017, 03:18:32 PM »
How do you drain the coolant?
Peak Global 50/50 is the coolant I use in everything.
Easy to find at Walgreens.
http://peakauto.com/products/antifreeze-coolants/automotive/global-lifetime-50-50/
It's ideal for scooters and motorcycles as it's silicate and phosphate free as well as 2-EH (ingredient in Dex-Cool/Deathcool)
It mixes with any coolant so if you don't drain all your existing coolant (a pocket is left) it will mixed just fine with that.
It's highly regarded on Bob Is The Oil Guy.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 03:20:26 PM by eakins »

kneeslider

• View Profile
« Reply #566 on: May 02, 2017, 01:08:32 AM »
Guys do note the E-clip that is holding the pivot pin at the levers.

Over the weekend when I was just adding silicon lube to the scooter, the factory fitted E-clips broke. Seems extremely fragile for a metal piece.
2019 Yamaha X-Max 250

kneeslider

• View Profile
« Reply #567 on: May 15, 2017, 12:50:21 AM »
New rear tire, lasted 10,000km.
2019 Yamaha X-Max 250

kneeslider

• View Profile
« Reply #568 on: May 16, 2017, 03:48:27 AM »
Hi all,

I noticed this morning that my rear lights have developed failed seal resulting in condensation on the right signal light enclosure.

Anyone aware where the weak point would be so I can narrow in on the area?

Thanks.
2019 Yamaha X-Max 250

scrollderf

• View Profile
« Reply #569 on: May 17, 2017, 04:06:00 AM »
Took the DT for coffee this morning (no this is not Stig talking). Stopped at a 4 way sign and when I went to go the scoot hesitated. What is that? Continued on and there was intermittent hesitation all the way over to McD's and back. Went out this afternoon and the hesitation was worse. Thought it might be just bad gas, so went to an 80 kph road and it really showed. Load dependent. Back home before I got stranded. I took the seat and bucket off and started to look. My first thought was the spark plug. Bingo! The plug wire was literally holding on by a thread, resting on the last few mm of the rubber boot. I had replaced the plug at about 500 km and it has 13000 km now, so why did the plug wire release? Probably the vibration over the past four years. It fits snuggly now, so should stay in place for another 13000km or more?? Sure felt good to diagnose the problem and find the cause on the first try. Successful afternoon on the DT.
Formerly 03 AA500 now DT300

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()