Author Topic: What did you do to your DownTown today?  (Read 142881 times)

Snorvey

• View Profile
Re: What did you do to your DownTown today?
« Reply #540 on: March 08, 2017, 03:42:22 PM »
MoT (annual inspection) & service today.

It passed  :)

It did have an advisory on the report though & that was a note to say that the steering head bearings were slightly 'notchy' and will need to be replaced by by the next annual inspection.

The mechanic said he would expect the bulk of the cost to be his time, but couldn't tell me how long it would take - he did make a guesstimate of 4 hours, the bulk of which would be spent removing and reassembling the plasticware. Obviously, if the plastic didn't need to be removed, then the time would be a lot less. The bearings themselves will cost relatively little.

Another option he offered would be for me to strip the bike (if required), have them collect it for the oily work and then for them to return it to me for me to reassemble.

So, anyone here had experience changing over the steering head bearings on a Downtown 300i?

Many thanks in advance

kneeslider

• View Profile
« Reply #541 on: March 10, 2017, 01:33:00 AM »
Changed my head bearings at the shop. Took them 2 hours start to end. Do not understand why your guy needed 4 hours.

Only the plastics around/below the handle bars need to be removed and of course the front wheel etc.

While you're in there, maybe you could consider installing LED headlights.

MoT (annual inspection) & service today.

It passed  :)

It did have an advisory on the report though & that was a note to say that the steering head bearings were slightly 'notchy' and will need to be replaced by by the next annual inspection.

The mechanic said he would expect the bulk of the cost to be his time, but couldn't tell me how long it would take - he did make a guesstimate of 4 hours, the bulk of which would be spent removing and reassembling the plasticware. Obviously, if the plastic didn't need to be removed, then the time would be a lot less. The bearings themselves will cost relatively little.

Another option he offered would be for me to strip the bike (if required), have them collect it for the oily work and then for them to return it to me for me to reassemble.

So, anyone here had experience changing over the steering head bearings on a Downtown 300i?

Many thanks in advance
2019 Yamaha X-Max 250

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #542 on: March 10, 2017, 12:26:27 PM »
Thanks Kneeslider.

To be fair to the mechanic, he was just guessing on the time. Although they are an authorised Kymco dealer, most of the stuff they have through their doors is Japanese and, to a lesser extent, German and Italian.

tvniklas

• Passed the golden age 40...
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: March 31, 2017, 02:00:53 PM »
Gave the bike an proper cleaning after the first 200km of the year.
Also changed the 14g DrPulley to 15g.
I contacted @Adept our DrDremmel16To15.4g guy from Hungary a couple of weeks ago and tried to buy his barely used 14g Pulleys, he wouldnt sell them, he gave them to me 🍾🍻🖒 and even paid the shipping cost for them. What can u say? A great guy that really makes this Forum the best. Thanks @Adept.
We are of the same opinion: after 200km with 14g i must say, hell.of an acc but much to strained engine for my taste and between 800 -1000 more rpm from 40 -100 km/our.
So im gonna give 15g another chance.

Have a great weekend all of you
Kymco Downtown 300i ABS -2013
ODO: 9950km
Dr Pulley 15g / Orginal rollers  (change all the time)
Gas average 0,29L/10km
--------------------------------
Kymco Like 125  -2016  -Sold
Kymco Agility 50 -2015 -Sold
I have 14g ,15g and 15,5 Pulley´s to sell

Nireen

• View Profile
« Reply #544 on: March 31, 2017, 02:52:13 PM »
What (if I may ask) is an X-creen touring? :)

just fitted an x-creen touring today. have to wait untill tomorrow to see what difference it makes. hopefully loads!!  ;D ;D
Kat :)

Nireen

• View Profile
« Reply #545 on: March 31, 2017, 02:55:23 PM »
I just came in from the garage giving an even deeper cleaning with some Gunk Greaser and some Deep Creep cleaner to the under-neath of the bike.  Looks much better! :) Order a back brake pad and the boys just tell me at the garage they will let me put it on at the shop and they will watch over me to teach me! How cool is this! Happy Kat. Meow LOL

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #546 on: March 31, 2017, 07:46:21 PM »
Seems like it's all going well fur you.

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: March 31, 2017, 08:23:55 PM »
Changed the engine coolant and put in a new Iridium spark plug. Was a bit concerned over the coolant change because of all I'd heard on this forum, but it was a snap. Owner's manual calls for every 12 months, But I think every 24 would work. One thing that I've learned since I've owned this Kymco is that Kymco owner support from the company, leaves a lot to be desired.

Mac
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

Nireen

• View Profile
« Reply #548 on: March 31, 2017, 08:36:53 PM »
I got the impression from the garage boys here I need not worry about changing the coolant.  Maybe I should than?

Changed the engine coolant and put in a new Iridium spark plug. Was a bit concerned over the coolant change because of all I'd heard on this forum, but it was a snap. Owner's manual calls for every 12 months, But I think every 24 would work. One thing that I've learned since I've owned this Kymco is that Kymco owner support from the company, leaves a lot to be desired.

Mac

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: March 31, 2017, 08:48:08 PM »
Well as I said, the owner's manual says every 12 mo., however, I've found that Kymco manuals are not always correct. Think I'll do it every 2 to 3 years. As long as it's good and green and it checks out at -34 degrees F, you should be Okay.

Mac
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

Nireen

• View Profile
« Reply #550 on: March 31, 2017, 08:58:56 PM »
OK thanks  :D

Well as I said, the owner's manual says every 12 mo., however, I've found that Kymco manuals are not always correct. Think I'll do it every 2 to 3 years. As long as it's good and green and it checks out at -34 degrees F, you should be Okay.

Mac

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #551 on: March 31, 2017, 09:30:46 PM »
Do you actually need engine coolant in Canada?

Nireen

• View Profile
« Reply #552 on: March 31, 2017, 09:47:13 PM »
I believe so we do!  It is on the bike for a reason I guess.  Cars have them. 

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: March 31, 2017, 10:40:32 PM »
   ya!   we don't want to run cold in the summer time,  it keeps the temp. even ?????it does get to 90 C. so don't bring your skis or snow shoes when you visit, 

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #554 on: March 31, 2017, 11:20:29 PM »
Invites to Tennessee and Canada?

Sounds like a retirement road trip plan  :)

One day.....

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()