Author Topic: How long will you ride WOT?  (Read 10201 times)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: How long will you ride WOT?
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2014, 08:30:47 PM »
You will learn to hear when the engine is stressing, and when it is at a comfortable "cruise". I build Marine engines that run all day at WOT but I spend Hours balancing every moving part.

If the engine you have does NOT have the ability to run at the speed/RPM you need then it Must be either modified or upgraded.
There is really no other way around it.
I can repair anything that goes wrong so I have no hesitation to run mine harder than most would. I also take steps to improve the running condition of my engines. No Fear kinda thing.
Unless you are in my position I would really suggest being nice to your engines no matter what else I claim from time to time.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

DMblues01

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2014, 08:56:44 PM »
super 8 150 is 149cc which is not highway legal (at least in CA)

It's not interstate legal. Normal U.S. highways it's perfectly legal, if not entirely smart.
Sorry. I didn't mean to nitpick. My OCD is acting up today!
 ::)  8)
Roxana, IL

Yoda is my spiritual leader.
Vader is my anger management coach!

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2014, 10:54:21 PM »
on my downtown I dont think about the moter it is the belt,  W O T. is too fast 90 mph.  at 7500 rpm.tail wind 94 mph.  and keep it short or your looking for tickets, here they can seize the scooter, and loose your licence,. even at highway speeds your belt gets very hot,.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2014, 03:00:19 AM »
VERY valid point. I ran Three times for a total of 3.8 miles on my Malossi Kevlar belt, and changed it.
Those were three speed runs at or over 80MPH on the ZX.
My experience with both Malossi Kevlars, and the abuse a CVT can dish out is what made the decision. I now have an OEM Bando in the bike for street use but even that gets replaced 2-3 times a year.
 Belts are the weak link on these scooters.
You always get the nail on the head DeeDee!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

wkreps

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2014, 06:17:48 PM »
A few weeks ago I made the 52 mile trip home from the dealer on my S8. All 55MPH speed limit with about 7 small towns sprinkled along the way. After a while my cylinder head temp (CHT) sensor would get to 400 degrees F and that's when I back it down 5 MPH or so to let it cool down, then wind it back up again. I can't seem to get a definitive answer on CHT limit recommendations. Most places I've read that you shouldn't go over 350F but if I followed that, I'd be running 40MPH everywhere. I always back it down when I hit 400F which is only a few minutes of WOT. I can't imagine that they make these scooters so that they can't run WOT so that makes me think the CHT suggestion of 350F may not be right for air cooled scooters. If anyone could point me in the right direction to get a definitive answer that would be great. Any recommendations on air cooled engine info would suffice (i guess).
Wayne

blackhawkfan

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2014, 12:19:40 PM »
This week would have been perfect has it has rained 3 days in a row and expected to do so for another 2. Perfect time to do an install project like that.
[/quote]

will you be doing a youtube video of the installation?
Proud owner of a red 2013 Kymco Super 8 150k
Scooter is stock

wkreps

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2014, 01:10:23 PM »
This week would have been perfect has it has rained 3 days in a row and expected to do so for another 2. Perfect time to do an install project like that.

will you be doing a youtube video of the installation?
Check out my removing panel videos. Those cover the install of the tach and temp sensors too.

Start here
Wayne

blackhawkfan

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2014, 02:00:40 PM »
already checked them out, but I thought that this new install might be exploring some new scooter territory.
Proud owner of a red 2013 Kymco Super 8 150k
Scooter is stock

Amaro321

• View Profile
How long will you ride WOT?
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2014, 06:14:31 PM »
Maaaaan I need a service manual like that!!! That's Epic!

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2014, 07:04:08 PM »
Full throttle all day ery day!
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2014, 01:46:24 AM »
Full throttle all day ery day!
Sure, yeah - but you're a scooter mechanic working in a scooter shop.
You understand scoots, and you can fix your scoot, and get the proper parts to get it back together, and have expert advice readily available, and the proper tools to do it all with.

All I have is the bigdamitalian mirrors and OEM crashbars - and two spare NGK Iridiums - so I can go faster than you....but if something goes South.....history has proven that I'd be pretty much on my own fixin' things.
Then again, one shouldn't go cruising endlessly at 25 mph either.
Who knew?
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

manimal

• 2013 Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2014, 02:57:41 PM »
I have pushed the S8 to 60mph on the speedo, but not for long. There is still a little bit of throttle left, but the motor gives me the impression of that's all it's got. Now granted, this is / was under 1k miles on the OD. Once i get past the 1500 mark, I may attempt to open it up a bit to see what the limit really is. Fortunately, the S8 150 offers just enough umph to get me through my daily commute; 45 - 60mph, avg commuting speed.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 05:10:30 PM by manimal »
~Daren
California (Nor*Cal)

Amaro321

• View Profile
How long will you ride WOT?
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2014, 04:49:07 PM »
I have pushed the S8 to 60mph on the speedo, but not for long. There is still a little bit of throttle left, but the motor gives me the impression of that's all it's got. Now granted, this is / was under 1k miles on the OD. Once i get past the 1500 mark, I may attempt to open it up a bit to see what the limit really is. Fortunately, the S8 150 offers just enough umph to get me through my daily commute; 45 - 60mph, avg commuting speed.

Nice, same here. My commute is like 45-55 for like 20 miles.
How far do you travel?

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2014, 04:57:02 PM »
Make sure you guys that are driving the 150's that far that hard check your oil regularly, like once a week. I've had two people blow up super 8's from long extended high speed because they didn't check their oil and it was bone dry. The air cooled gy6 consumes a bit of oil even when everything is in good shape.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

tortoise

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2014, 05:13:13 PM »
didn't check their oil and it was bone dry
50cc engine damage example.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()