Author Topic: 2004 Kymco zx50 no spark (died while riding)  (Read 4914 times)

Marc04zx50

• View Profile
2004 Kymco zx50 no spark (died while riding)
« on: May 02, 2014, 06:52:14 PM »
Ok guys this is my first post so I'm a noob to the forum. I have a modded 04 zx50 and while I was riding it one day it just shut off on me out of the blue. It didn't sputter or anything it just shut off like I hit a switch. Now it won't start. So I have diagnosed that it is not getting spark to the plug. The plug is brand new. The wire is testing good. The coil is getting current to it. All the wires are in tact. And the kill switch appears to be working fine. Any suggestions on what to check next? Pick up coil/stator, cdi, or anything else I can check with a multimeter? Thanks for the help.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: 2004 Kymco zx50 no spark (died while riding)
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 01:18:27 AM »
There is a manual in a thread called "Links to Manuals" use the search for it. Posted by Zombie

EVERY ZX that comes to the forum has the same problem. It is always the CDI. What I do is swap out the CDI, and the stator because a 10 year old Chinese stator doesn't have much life left anyway.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sym-TGB-Honda-Dio-2-stroke-Chinese-Scooter-Moped-50cc-5-pin-Performance-CDI-/281317560791?pt=Other_Vehicle_Parts&hash=item417fd551d7&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-STATOR-KYMCO-ZX-50-FEVER-/251423734922?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a8a05bc8a&vxp=mtr

That CDI has to be hard wired because the plugs are different. Search the ZX threads for the wireing color code. I forget what they were but it is easy, and 60 bucks cheaper than the restricted OEM CDI

Check this out... http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=11422.0
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Marc04zx50

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 04:39:45 AM »
I bought thebatmans old zx50 from him so I doubt they are both originals from 10 years ago but I will definately try. Is there a way to test them without just replacing them? They r pretty pricey at the dealer and I'll have to wait if I order from eBay and that would just be buying parts to hope it solves the problem. If that's my only route then I will do it but just trying to see what my other options are. Also thanks for the links to the manuals. I couldn't find it.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 07:19:19 AM »
http://www.kymco.it/contributi/download/MANUALI_OFFICINA/MO%20ZX50%20(inglese).zip

It tells you how to test it.
Just cuz it was Batmans don't mean it's not a 20 y/o stator. I'd never dealer order those. The CDI is much lower quality. I ordered a custom cdi programed at the factory, and it too failed in 3-4 years.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 05:01:32 AM »
Cheese and crakers batman, someone flaky never replaced their cdi? That bonkers!

EVERY ZX that comes to the forum has the same problem. It is always the CDI. What I do is swap out the CDI, and the stator because a 10 year old Chinese stator doesn't have much life left anyway.

Maybe that's what's wrong with mine. I swear it's not developing power like I hear it should. IDK
*2010 People 50 2t with 70cc kit and more
*2001 ZX-50 beater

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 05:03:08 AM »
I know, right!

Marc04zx50

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2014, 02:59:20 PM »
Ok so the cdi fixed the no spark issue. Ran great for 2 days then last night while I was at a light it just sputtered and the exhaust kinda blew out air and died. I was able to get it started again but it would immediately sputter and die. Any suggestions? I can't imagine what could have went bad now. Thanks for any suggestions.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2014, 02:57:24 AM »
Bat mans bike could have anything wrong w/ it. Check for spark/fuel/compression test. Get Clear fuel lines so you know when it happens.  Compression test first.

Marc04zx50

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2014, 06:20:18 PM »
So the compression is 105-110 so from what I've seen that's pretty good. Any ideas where to go from here? I guess I'm gonna look over it real good and see if I can find anything obvious. I guess I'll get some clear fuel lines too.

Marc04zx50

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2014, 10:33:33 PM »
Ok so the compression is right at 115, the spark is good, the plug is new, changed the carb out to the original one that isn't jetted, I changed all the lines to clear so I can see and the fuel is good. When I try to start it, the motor sounds just fine. It tries to start and then occasionally it will backfire a little. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2014, 04:55:30 AM »
115 is actually too low to run reliably. 120 is the border line. I would suggest thinking about either a kit or an OEM replacement jug/piston/rings

WIkid

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2014, 05:00:30 PM »
Nah, 110PSI is fine.

Its not great, but its not going to be a problem.

My guess is that some wire came unplugged somewhere. Possibly the ground.

Generally speaking when an electrical component dies on a scooter its not just like flipping a switch.

It usually peters out and dies over the course of a couple hundred miles.

Of course it does occasionally happen where an electrical component just spontaneously dies, but in your case I would put money on a wire or connection letting go somewhere.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()