Author Topic: New Seat available  (Read 14548 times)

mszallen

• Live to ride
    • View Profile
New Seat available
« on: April 24, 2014, 04:49:51 PM »
Was just in to the dealer to have my 5K service and some much needed heated grips installed.  After talking with the owner I found out that Kymco have come up with a second seat for the DT!!  Apparently it changes the amount of storage for the better and the ergonomics of the seating position as well.  Can't wait to see and sit on it. Too cramped on the stock seat.  Will be at the dealer this Friday and will post pics and dimensions.  Anyone else know of this "new" seat for the DT?  BTW, heated grips are the best invesment I've made to date.  What a difference.

Adept

• Empaticus Maximus
    • View Profile
Re: New Seat available
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 07:22:55 PM »
photo please!!!!!

I have a barely used (200km)14gr Dr Pulley rollers to SELL!! Send a PM if you interested in...

kneeslider

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 06:19:03 AM »
Won't be cheap..... an alternative is to repad the OE seat.
2019 Yamaha X-Max 250

ophelia

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 10:39:16 PM »
My dealer in Canada bought a dozen overseas seats from Taiwan to distiribute across Canada, so I have access to a taller seat for a much more reasonable price.

Perhaps organizing a group buy from Kymco Taiwan might be a good idea to greatly cut on shipping. The boxes are rather bulky, but perhaps having a pallet shipped over and having someone pick up can be made feasible. Alternatively, if you know anyone travelling overseas, ask them nicely to bring one back. Scooter goodies or factory parts are very cheap and abundant over in Asia.

Sometimes there may also be people living in Asia with a Downtown/Nikita 125-300 that may appreciate a shorter seat! Perhaps a swap program could be set up.

Just ideas.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 10:40:59 PM by thesurgeonistherobot »
2011 Kymco Downtown 300i

mszallen

• Live to ride
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 05:00:53 PM »
Saw the seat on Friday and was not overly impressed with the change it makes to the ergonomics of the bike.  Won't upload pictures as you'd never be able to see any difference. The main change is a little more under seat storage as the underside of the seat has be modified. There's also a more prominent bump at the front that seems to lock you back in the seat and may reduce any forward slipping. Overall the seat is approximately 1/2 in longer for the rider. Not much for $300 plus.

kfc.android

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 05:35:42 AM »
I spent few days searching online for this specific seat in the U.S.
Unfortunately, the lowest price I can find is almost $300, this is only about $120 if purchased in Taiwan.
I tried to ask several of my friends to bring it here, but so far no one wanted to do that...
If we can organize a group purchase, maybe we can organize that to reduce the shipping cost.
Following are some photo which I found extremely helpful to whoever wants to see the difference.

uangalu

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 11:36:51 AM »
Hi I just bught a 2014 downtown today, have found that it is equiped with the updated seat, and I hope it is better than the "old" type of seat. I have no chance to test it until august due to my workplace. I'll post picture of the new type seat.
work in Greenland / live in denmark.  love to ride 2 wheels in the alps ;-)

wakeupmaggie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2014, 03:50:17 PM »
I spent few days searching online for this specific seat in the U.S.
Unfortunately, the lowest price I can find is almost $300, this is only about $120 if purchased in Taiwan.
I tried to ask several of my friends to bring it here, but so far no one wanted to do that...
If we can organize a group purchase, maybe we can organize that to reduce the shipping cost.
Following are some photo which I found extremely helpful to whoever wants to see the difference.

That seat looks like a nice improvement especially for my tall body.

I'd be willing to do this if we get enough interest.  Thanks.
Somerset County, New Jersey
DT300i

mnpugdog

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2014, 08:01:12 PM »
Now that seat looks a lot better.

p40whk

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2014, 02:33:11 AM »
Anyone know if the seats for the Xciting 500 are interchangeable? Corbin is now making one for that model that moves the seating position back for more legroom.

They are expensive but the only thing I don't like about my DT is the seating position.

ophelia

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2014, 04:48:13 AM »
The Xciting 500 has a totally different frame and seat, so I don't think the seat can be used on the Downtown. The standard Xciting 500 seat feels rather comfortable though.

I put the tall seat on my Downtown 300i for a weekend test. My bum feels like it's an inch higher. I feel like I am less on a cruiser and more on an upright bike now. The space under the seat hump is easier to reach too, and the seat feels like it opens up wider.
2011 Kymco Downtown 300i

scootermax

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2014, 03:45:29 PM »
i gave up trying to find a replacement seat, so just modified mine on the dt200i. cut out a large portion of the dome underneath the seat and removed a portion of the butt stop and it worked out fine. it lowered my butt a few inches and can move back approx. 3 inches for more stretch. removed foot pad on floor and replaced with custom wood floorboards stained and clear finished with forward footpegs. only drawback is visual with loose seat covering where butt stop was removed, but i can live with that for the increased comfort and lower center of gravity achieved. works for me.

kfc.android

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2014, 06:54:19 AM »
I have managed a way to import those Genuine Kymco (European market) seat from Taiwan (Check those photos I posted above)
The final price is not confirmed yet but it should be LESS than $250 includes seat and freight from TW to Calif.
If you are interested, let me know so I can calculate the number and maybe negotiate the price :)

EDIT:
The freight for air shipment is just too expensive (which makes the total amount to almost $240 to bring in the seat to Cali) I will ask the forwarder later to get a quote if shipped by sea, will keep you guys posted.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 02:22:17 PM by kfc.android »

Adept

• Empaticus Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2014, 08:08:40 PM »
Is this new seat (2014) fully compatibile w/ 2011 DT seat??
I like this shape...

I there any experience? Better than the old seat??

I have a barely used (200km)14gr Dr Pulley rollers to SELL!! Send a PM if you interested in...

wakeupmaggie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2014, 06:47:30 PM »
I have managed a way to import those Genuine Kymco (European market) seat from Taiwan (Check those photos I posted above)
The final price is not confirmed yet but it should be LESS than $250 includes seat and freight from TW to Calif.
If you are interested, let me know so I can calculate the number and maybe negotiate the price :)

EDIT:
The freight for air shipment is just too expensive (which makes the total amount to almost $240 to bring in the seat to Cali) I will ask the forwarder later to get a quote if shipped by sea, will keep you guys posted.

Thank you.  I'm still interested and will look for your update.
Somerset County, New Jersey
DT300i

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()