Author Topic: Lost bolt & rust repair  (Read 1054 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Lost bolt & rust repair
« on: April 24, 2014, 12:08:44 AM »
During a break while riding this morning I noticed that my LIKE had finally shed a fastener.

One of the two 10mm stainless hex head screws securing the small heat sheild on the side of the exhaust pipe had fallen off.
I'd recently checked/tightened every bolt and screw on the scooter......but I must have missed these two.
I cleaned and repainted the sheild with some exhaust spray paint ....and used my camera to take a look at things under the exhaust. I found a bit of rust under the muffler - brushed, cleaned and sprayed it with the hi temp exhaust paint, as well.
At Lowe's  the Mrs. filled a cart with flowers & heavy things for me while I went to the hardware drawers and picked out some stainless fasteners, washers and lock washers for a couple of bucks.

I will try to be even more conscientious about checking the fasteners on my scoot. I use my camera a lot to see what's going on in hard to see places. Load the pix onto the Dell and then I can see what I'm missing!
Stig, still learning......

« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 12:14:09 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Lost bolt & rust repair
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 04:45:28 AM »
You're a never ending fountain of helpful posts. Guys like you are an asset to Kymco, and they have NO IDEA!

You just might get Vivo's "Employee of the Month" award this go round. What size T shirt do you want?
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Petertje

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 05:08:20 AM »
I lost one of this screws as well
and 3 out of 4 screws from the heatshield on the muffler
Installed them all with loctite

Peter

DMblues01

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 10:10:27 AM »
Stig,  how long did it take for rust to start forming on your exhaust? 

I like the nice simple fix though. High heat exhaust paint is gift from god. My neighbor uses it to re-coat the headers on his rat rod every spring to fight the same thing.
Roxana, IL

Yoda is my spiritual leader.
Vader is my anger management coach!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 03:17:24 PM »
Paint on a Rat Rod??????? Sacrilege!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 08:21:35 PM »
Stig,  how long did it take for rust to start forming on your exhaust? 

The scoot is 25 mos old - has been on the road through some snow, some salt and a lot of rain for 13 mos.
I think I might take the (is it plastic?) heat sheild off to have a squirt over the whole exhaust pipe, front to back. Using tape and newspaper I think I can do most or all of it without removing the exhaust (I do not have a new exhaust gasket )
Took a look-see after a long ride today....the paint seems to be covering the rusty areas OK.
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 09:08:35 PM »
Make sure it's 1500 degree paint. Those 500 degree don't last too long. It also lasts longer if the pipe is warm to hot when applying it. Just watch the fumes...

A cool tip... You can spray thru a toilet paper center tube to direct the paint. It eliminates alot of masking

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()