Author Topic: Tire Size Question  (Read 1889 times)

solumized

• View Profile
Tire Size Question
« on: April 19, 2014, 11:30:01 PM »
Hey Guys,

So finally got some nice weather here in Milwaukee (above 50 & snow is finally all gone) and I got the old scoot up and running.  So now it's time to get it into ridable condition so when the really nice weather hits I can ride more often.

The main thing is, I need a new front tire.  I did as much research on this forum as I could find in terms of tires and tire sizes.  I see a lot of people like the Avon Viper but I am not one of that cleaner look. I was thinking something more along these...

http://www.amazon.com/Duro-HF903-Dual-Sport-Scooter/dp/B000VVU79W/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0K9C47AX9BE8ZXJTCT2Y

Anyone run tires similar to these?  I want something with a little more "meat" to them considering this past winter was an absolute hell on our roads. 

Also, I am really foreign on the tire sizes.  I understand what the numbers mean.  The tires I currently have on there are 110/70-12 for the front and 120/70-12 for the rears.  My question is, could I go up 10mm on the section width without having to change the rim? 

Has anyone also tried putting a tire on there with a higher aspect ratio than the stock 70? Or does changing the section width give you enough of increase to risk rubbing?

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Tire Size Question
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 12:12:56 AM »
I have Pirelli Diabablo 130/70 12's front, and rear on my ZX-50. The front fender has to go, and the rear has to be installed w/ no air in it to fit. (air it up after install). I like them better than the Avons, and the price is very close.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

solumized

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 12:50:05 AM »
Zombie,

Thank you for the response.  Do you notice any difference in handling or performance by having a 130 for both front and rear?  I noticed a lot of people had a smaller front than the rear.  Just curious because I was thinking of doing the same thing. 

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 03:27:02 AM »
Major difference!
 the ZX is prone to under steer, and the front likes to slide out before the rear. going with a larger diameter front tire does change the geometry but that change seems to be made up for by more surface area on the road. More tire on the road always means better traction.  Plus the Diaballo has a nice round profile compared to many other brands so the rear tire to front is a non issue

If you do go w/ some other brand, and the larger front just make sure the side wall step or shoulder is close enough to the rim to never be an issue. I went 110 70-     120 70-    and finally 130 70- in the front, and the 130 is the best of the bunch. Looks pretty bad ass too. More purpose built looking instead of a GP bike wanna bee
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

solumized

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 06:11:20 PM »
Hey Zombie!

Do you by chance have a pic of what the tires look like on your ride, good sir?  Mainly just trying to get an idea of what the bigger tire looks like once installed so I have a better idea of what I want the bike to look like.  It would be greatly appreciated!  I will be doing a before and after in a little bit once I get all the parts for my scoot in!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 12:54:34 AM »
Buy this one, and save thousands of $$$$$.
You can still do the before, and after.  After you buy it! ;D ;D ;D

Fastest ZX -50) In the USA... Zombies Scoot.
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=11422.0

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()