Author Topic: Kickstart isn't working.  (Read 1607 times)

Cats

• View Profile
Kickstart isn't working.
« on: April 19, 2014, 01:54:09 AM »
I just bought a Kymco People S 200, I'm the first owner, but it has been in a show room for a few years.

Anyhow, I can't get the kick starter to work.

Earlier today I had stopped at a relatives house and when I went to leave, the electric starter didn't work.

So I followed the proper sequence of having the key in the correct position, the kill switch in the correct position, the rear brake on, and I had it on the centre stand.

So I went to kick it, I pushed the levaver down all the way several times and nothing happened.

I had to walk the bike home.

I got home and put the battery on charge and it will start with the electric starter, but the kick start still will not work.

Could it be the battery the dealer gave me, or old gas?

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Kickstart isn't working.
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 02:13:40 AM »
Does the kick start turn the engine? How old is the gas? Will the battery hold a charge for more than one day?

More importantly...Why did the dealer give you a bike w/ a dead battery, old gas, and a non working kick start?

I cant find my shoes... 8)
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Cats

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 12:48:52 PM »
So far I know the kickstart doesn't turn the engine.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 05:16:33 PM »
you have to bring it back to them. No choice... Do you know anyone that knows how to use a Louisville Slugger?

You actually need to "kick" the kick starter. Gentle doesn't cut it. Of course you know to bring it back for service/battery/fresh fuel.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 09:28:34 PM »
Don't ask me why but when I first got my people's 200 I couldn't get her to start on the kick either. The kick was "catching" and everything but it took some practice for me to figure out just what worked best.

How I learned was I started her up in the traditional way (electric start), got her warm and turned her off. Set her up and went for the kick, no gas on the throttle and womb, she turned right over! I did this a few more times to get the hang of it and then tried the next AM when she was cold (on a warm day) and again she started but not the first try, but you could hear she almost caught. On the 2nd shoot she was running and I was a happy camper.

I would not want to rely on my kick start on a cold winters day/night.

PS to the OP, we'd all like to know how it turned out for you, so post up so we can all learn something.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 11:34:06 PM »
Ditto everything you said 004856.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()