Author Topic: Malossi Big Bore Kit, worth the money?  (Read 4708 times)

KymcoRockr

• View Profile
Malossi Big Bore Kit, worth the money?
« on: April 15, 2014, 01:25:24 PM »
I'm looking at the Malossi Big Bore Kit, and comparing it to the Airsal and Parmakit. I have heard good things about Malossi, good and bad things about Airsal, and very little about Parmakit.

Here is the Malossi Big Bore Kit I am looking at: M3111667

http://scooterpartsco.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=170_180&products_id=1259

$210. It is a lot of money, and I want to make sure it's going to hold up well. I want something that I can use in my daily rider and not worry about it breaking down.
Been riding for a very long time.
AK550
Yager 200

joebro

• View Profile
Re: Malossi Big Bore Kit, worth the money?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 09:13:34 PM »
I used some Malossi parts and 100% recommend using them! Great quality and easy to install.
You only live once but if you live right once is all you need.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 09:45:07 PM »
I'm looking at the Malossi Big Bore Kit, and comparing it to the Airsal and Parmakit. I have heard good things about Malossi, good and bad things about Airsal, and very little about Parmakit.

Here is the Malossi Big Bore Kit I am looking at: M3111667

http://scooterpartsco.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=170_180&products_id=1259

$210. It is a lot of money, and I want to make sure it's going to hold up well. I want something that I can use in my daily rider and not worry about it breaking down.

The Malossi kit is NOT a race type kit so it will outlast the others you mentioned. It has milder port timings, and heavier construction overall. I ran a Malossi for several years, made my own pistons for it, and literally ran it till the bore wore out.
Pm me for my account info w/ SPI...   Scooter Parts International
http://www.spi-parts.com/

Louie the owner is a full time race bike builder, and knows his sh**. I have a wholesale account that I share w/ forum members, and Louie is happy to help.

You will have to do some "clean up" work on the jug, and piston to be sure it is ready for daily driving so when you get your kit post up, and I will be happy to go thru what to do.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Rage

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 02:44:57 AM »
Just sold.my malossi new in box bbk a few months ago for $175. Wish I held.onto it. Apparently, the older ones are highly sought after. I have received uncountable emails from eBay if I hadn't sold it.......

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2014, 03:34:11 AM »
The current kits are being made in China. That won't last long.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2014, 05:32:36 AM »
Metrakit all the way
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2014, 09:18:58 PM »
Who makes MetraKit?

There are only two kits I use for two strokes Malossi for long life, and Polini for long life, and better performance.

The polini has more aggressive port timing, and transfer angles as well as a heavier piston. My overall opinion is Polini will give 1-2MPH more, and last just as long as Malossi.

I never had any luck with any other kits, and I bought them all except Arisol. Plain Crap! Actually anything with a plated cylinder should be avoided for a street ridden machine. Just my opinion.

ophelia

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 03:19:25 PM »
How much faster are you looking to go on your bike? Is your bike otherwise treating you well? What are your priorities with your bike?

You can probably find a long lasting and well built big bore cylinder kit, but from my experience as a scooter mechanic I suggest staying with a stock motor if reliability and uptime are essential. The big scooter manufacturer generally has their mass production and quality control as good as it gets. Everything fits right every time. The gains from a BBK aren't spectacular either compared to a bigger bike that has better brakes and driveline and suspension to cope with the stronger engine.

The other day, we received and installed a Malossi racing kit for a Super 9S that had tolerances too great to have any compression. We're a shop, so we can eat the labour cost and get another one through warranty. Customer has to wait a few weeks for downtime and can't ride, so he will have to drive. What happens if you do it yourself and get a bum kit? Your vehicle is out of action. Hopefully you diagnose the problem quickly and don't get too frustrated and have some other way to get around.

I rode a Super 8 70 yesterday. Wasn't spectacular to me having rode bigger, torquier scooters, but others might find it truly is enough and suits them perfectly. See if you have any friends that have 70 cc scooters and try them. Try some big scooters too. Take your time and weigh the costs of everything. Don't want you to be disappointed with your purchase. :-)
2011 Kymco Downtown 300i

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2014, 07:25:20 PM »
How much faster are you looking to go on your bike? Is your bike otherwise treating you well? What are your priorities with your bike?

You can probably find a long lasting and well built big bore cylinder kit, but from my experience as a scooter mechanic I suggest staying with a stock motor if reliability and uptime are essential. The big scooter manufacturer generally has their mass production and quality control as good as it gets. Everything fits right every time. The gains from a BBK aren't spectacular either compared to a bigger bike that has better brakes and driveline and suspension to cope with the stronger engine.

The other day, we received and installed a Malossi racing kit for a Super 9S that had tolerances too great to have any compression. We're a shop, so we can eat the labour cost and get another one through warranty. Customer has to wait a few weeks for downtime and can't ride, so he will have to drive. What happens if you do it yourself and get a bum kit? Your vehicle is out of action. Hopefully you diagnose the problem quickly and don't get too frustrated and have some other way to get around.

I rode a Super 8 70 yesterday. Wasn't spectacular to me having rode bigger, torquier scooters, but others might find it truly is enough and suits them perfectly. See if you have any friends that have 70 cc scooters and try them. Try some big scooters too. Take your time and weigh the costs of everything. Don't want you to be disappointed with your purchase. :-)

What exactly was wrong w/ the Malossi kit?

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2014, 05:17:07 AM »
Kits really only make sense if you have other mods to back it up that match the particular kit you have. I've driven bikes that only have a 70cc and slight variator mods and they aren't impressive. But pipe, kit, carb, trans etc and they CAN have crazy torque.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2014, 06:03:43 AM »
100% correct. You do need the whole shebang to make a kit run right. Plus it all has to match.

The important thing that ALL of these after market suppliers leave out is the RPM range their parts are designed to run in. You have to pull teeth to get this top secret info from them.

ophelia

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2014, 08:23:52 AM »
What exactly was wrong w/ the Malossi kit?

The cylinder or the piston was too loose. The cylinder slipped over the piston and rings way too easily. After the whole unit was assembled, we found there was no compression. We've installed many other Malossi kits before.
2011 Kymco Downtown 300i

insane2170

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2014, 05:45:21 AM »
I'm just about done breaking in M3111667 myself.

I had it expertly installed and I am using Amsoil Saber pro. oil

I must say I have 0 overheating, no problems whatsoever, I hit 90kph on a sprint so far and thats with the stock aribox and carb.
I go up hills faster than 60kph if I want to and do 70 with my wife on the back.

I stay under 9000rpm with 7g weights and 1000 koso torque spring.
Koso variator, Kevlar belt, Malossi clutch, techni gas pipe.

However, if your stock 50cc engine is still mint(ish), go with 6g weights, 800rpm spring, remove the rev limiter wire on the cdi and you can hit 95kph.

I replaced my engine cus the bike I bought already had 20k so I figured it was time for a new engine and went M3111667.
Stock engine was still mintish when I saw the piston at the dealer. Oh well I have a spare.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()